i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   Mike Egan, 37, struck and killed by Jetta (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/mike-egan-37-struck-killed-jetta-174223/)

dz 11-13-2007 09:01 AM

Mike Egan, 37, struck and killed by Jetta

[url]http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071110/NEWS01/711100325[/url]

Friends knew Michael Egan as a devoted dad who was always there for others when they needed him.

On Friday morning, police believe, that Good Samaritan instinct could be what ultimately led to his death.

The 37-year-old father of two from the Town of Stanford was killed Friday morning on Route 199 in Rhinebeck after stopping to help an automobile accident victim, the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office said.

Sudeen McDermott, 22, of Red Hook, was driving a 2001 Honda Civic eastbound on Route 199 about 12:45 a.m. when she lost control of her car, drove off the road and struck a guard rail, the sheriff's department said.

McDermott was charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, issued an appearance ticket and released for treatment at a hospital in Kingston, the sheriff's department said. The department did not know which hospital she went to, or when she is due back in court.

Sometime after the accident occurred and before emergency officials arrived, Egan, who worked in Internet technology for an investment banking company, stopped at the scene of the crash, more than likely to help McDermott, the sheriff's department said.

Egan walked in front of a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta that was driven east on Route 199 by Jason Johnston-Riley, 27, of Kingston. Egan was struck by the Jetta and died from his injuries.

Stanford Town Clerk Rita Bell said Egan was married to Deputy Town Clerk Meghan O'Connor-Egan and the couple were parents of two young girls. Bell said Egan's family has lived in Stanford for several generations.

Lisa Shaffer, a former Pine Plains High School classmate of Egan's, said he was extraordinary.

"He was so nice, so friendly and he was always there for other people," Shaffer said. "Sometimes you do hear every now and then of some really hard tragedies, and you never think a tragedy like this could hit so close to home."

This fall, Egan coached Shaffer's youngest daughter's recreational soccer team, composed of mostly kindergarteners.

"He was definitely a devoted dad," Shaffer said. "We just got done with our soccer tournament this Saturday, and that, unfortunately, was the last time I saw him."

At the scene of the crash that led Egan to stop and offer a hand, there's a semicircle of wheel tracks starting on the grassy shoulder to the right of the eastbound lane, and they continue as skid marks back on the pavement, leading to where McDermott hit the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.

The rail is broken and bent, and has pushed the pavement back to the grass.

No additional charges are expected, though the incident remains under investigation by the sheriff's department, which was assisted at the scene by the state police and Rhinebeck Fire Department.

nachomc 11-13-2007 09:04 AM

:rofl: This story was just read on Rob Arnie & Dawn bad news over happy music segment. They said Mike Egan and I was like :eek:

dz 11-13-2007 09:07 AM

Where do you think I heard it... :D

Max Xevious 11-13-2007 09:08 AM

oh god..

ok that scared the crap out of me..lol

Hatteroo 11-13-2007 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=nachomc;2028147]:rofl: This story was just read on Rob Arnie & Dawn bad news over happy music segment. They said Mike Egan and I was like :eek:[/QUOTE]

Did you remember to bear down? :o

soggynoodles 11-13-2007 09:13 AM

haha damn that scared me. :laugh:

Max Xevious 11-13-2007 09:16 AM

now I feel bad being relieved that it was someone else, when that someone else still died.. and left behind a family

:cry:

RussB 11-13-2007 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious;2028158]now I feel bad being relieved that it was someone else, when that someone else still died.. and left behind a family

:cry:[/QUOTE]

buck up little camper.

it's not bad news unless it happens to you.

Max Xevious 11-13-2007 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=RussB;2028162]buck up little camper.

it's not bad news unless it happens to you.[/QUOTE]

its bad news for someone.

nachomc 11-13-2007 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=maddhatteroo7;2028153]Did you remember to bear down? :o[/QUOTE]

I did. It helped.

Irrational X 11-13-2007 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious;2028164]its bad news for someone.[/QUOTE]

as long as its not someone you know, who cares?

RussB 11-13-2007 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=irrational x;2028198]as long as its not someone you know, who cares?[/QUOTE]

srsly. did you know anyone in new orleans a few years back? did you care?

Egan 11-13-2007 10:21 AM

Ouch.

Same age and everything.

soggynoodles 11-13-2007 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=RussB;2028202]srsly. did you know anyone in new orleans a few years back? did you care?[/QUOTE]

got arrested at the Mardi Gras for jumping on a float...

Hatteroo 11-13-2007 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious;2028164]its bad news for someone.[/QUOTE]
It's not bad news since its not happening to you. Also they play happpppy muuuuuuuuuuusic to help :)

[QUOTE=nachomc;2028166]I did. It helped.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear.