Q: what happens when South Park makes fun of Scientology?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Q: what happens when South Park makes fun of Scientology?

A: You lose Chef

way to make a stand there Chef

Originally Posted by Yahoo.com

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors
Tom Cruise and
John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."
Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Car Info: The ladies wild
Isn't time for people to just relax? And when it comes to the whole scientology thing, I don't know too much about it, but South Park isn't the only place in the media where it is considered "stupid".
And, I can't believe the singer of "Shaft" is gonna bend over and take it like that, I'm so disappointed.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."
Bingo. What a *****. Good luck buying your way to the next Thetan level now.

And for the record Scientology sucks. I have no idea how it's taken seriously.

Last edited by Salty; 03-13-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Salty
PT Barnum can explain it pretty well.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Who cares about Chef anyways...he's black...and George Bush doesn't care about black people.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by T-Will
Who cares about Chef anyways...he's black...and George Bush doesn't care about black people.
nice
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
How are alien space planes harder to believe than turning water in to wine and returning from the dead, much less claiming to be the son of god?

Just because one story has been around longer than the other should not make it more believable...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Originally Posted by dz
How are alien space planes harder to believe than turning water in to wine and returning from the dead, much less claiming to be the son of god?

Just because one story has been around longer than the other should not make it more believable...
+1
which is why I'm athiest
Old 03-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
Thats friggin awesome.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by dz
Please....

On one hand we have no clue who wrote the Bible. Could have been God himself or it could have been the tooth fairy for all we know. On the other hand we know Scientology was written by L Ron Hubbard, a fictional author of the 20th century who thought the easiest way to make money would be to start a cult.

I'm agnostic so it's not like i'm batting for either of them...

EDIT: And BTW, how in the hell did my post deserve a rebuttal from you of all people, one of the most inconsiderate and superficial people posting here?

Last edited by Salty; 03-13-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Troll

Please....

On one hand we have no clue who wrote the Bible. Could have been God himself or it could have been the tooth fairy for all we know. On the other hand we know Scientology was written by L Ron Hubbard, a fictional author of the 20th century who thought the easiest way to make money would be to start a cult.

I'm agnostic so it's not like i'm batting for either of them...

EDIT: And BTW, how in the hell did my post deserve a rebuttal from you of all people, one of the most inconsiderate and superficial people posting here?
!!
That's it... I'm telling Hubbard

-2 Theetan levels for you!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
scientology = CRAPPY MADE UP RELIGION...not even a real religion...more like a friggin CULT...but if u think about it all religions are liek cults...just not as retarded as scientology though basing things on power levels and ****...i mean seriously....famous science fiction writter making up a cult...i mean religion....the whole thing is science fiction IMO
Old 03-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Troll

Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
scientology = CRAPPY MADE UP RELIGION...not even a real religion...more like a friggin CULT...but if u think about it all religions are liek cults...just not as retarded as scientology though basing things on power levels and ****...i mean seriously....famous science fiction writter making up a cult...i mean religion....the whole thing is science fiction IMO
!!

OMG!!

-10 Theatan levels for you Mr.!! You goes are all going to scientology hell!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by GT35 STI
-10 Theatan levels for you Mr.!! You goes are all going to scientology hell!!
You mean to a place without Star Trek?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
you better be careful man, they might sue you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q: what happens when South Park makes fun of Scientology?