i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Auto X (https://www.i-club.com/forums/road-racing-auto-x-51/)
-   -   Is a 944 turbo w/ 200k miles good to purchase? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/road-racing-auto-x-51/944-turbo-w-200k-miles-good-purchase-21726/)

kalasend 06-08-2003 06:52 PM

Is a 944 turbo w/ 200k miles good to purchase?

1987, for us$4000.

The price tag is attractive, but the 200k mileage motor kind of scares me. Am I likely need a rebuild? Approximately how much it cost and is it easy to find parts if necessary?

I'm looking forward to use it as my very first club racing vehicle. Is it a good bet for the purpose?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
Benny

PS. I forgot to ask if discussion about cars other than Subaru is welcomed here. I hope so.

milkman 06-08-2003 08:56 PM

You get what you pay for.

I would look around for a better car, the 944/924 are not the best they put out. Try a old 914 or 911

Trvlr5 06-14-2003 01:01 PM

944 engine w/200K

Frankly, I'm suprised that engine has lasted this long. If you really want to buy it, have a porsche mechanic do a thorough check on the engine. That turbocharger may be worn out by now.

Also, have the wheel bearings and exhaust system looked at.

kaiservon 06-19-2003 08:19 AM

i'd check it out thoroughly. Also look at rennlist.com A lot of good info there

tekfoc 06-27-2003 05:27 AM

dont buy it a friend of mine had a very very nice one in black almost left him bankrupt its to exspensive to keep running. his timeing belt snaped and the engine was history.:(

ITWRX4ME 07-09-2003 06:37 AM

Better late than never.

I made the mistake of buying a used 944 based solely on its price. I never did any research on the cost of ownership. I owned the car for four years. I only drove it for the first 6 months. Autocrossed a few times.

After the initial $4k purchase price I had to have a clutch installed. Then it was a timing belt and, while your in there, might as well install new front seals and a water pump. Then it was a rear seal. Then the motor overheated an cracked the block. I don't remember how much I spent in that first 6 months(my brain has blocked it out due to post traumatic stress disorder). Suffice it to say that it was a few grand.

If you have money to burn, it's a fun car to drive. But you'd better really have money to burn.

kalasend 07-09-2003 10:18 AM

Wow...looks like that maintenance is really a pain in the arse. I thought that all German cars were made to last long. Seems like I'm wrong, or at least I'm wrong about Porsche.

Thanks for the info, folks. However I am still very much in love with 944.

ITWRX4ME 07-09-2003 11:50 AM

Porsches are great cars, when they're running. And if you can afford the upkeep, go for it.

Macabre 07-12-2003 09:31 PM

The 944 Turbo is an excellent driver's vehicle. Ownership can be taxing on your wallet and sanity, though.

Anyways, the 944 block has cylinder coatings that can only be applied by a couple shops in the country. I checked the cost when I had mine and it was a few grand just for that service. Otherwise you'll need to overbore and have it sleeved which isn't the cheapest process either. It's suprising that it's still on the road with 200k (unless it's on a rebuild, in which case you may be OK). Engine/drivetrain maintenance is above average and electrics are problematic. Assuming it isn't on a rebuild you will need to have that done soon, or otherwise replace the motor and turbocharger. At least a rebuild gives you an excuse for performance upgrades.

I'd recommend that you keep looking to find a better car. Spending twice as much now could save you three times as much over the next few years. A beater Porsche is not a bargain unless you have some sort of parts hookup and can do all the labor yourself. Join your local PCA and find a car that had been treated with a lot of love. Preventative maintenance is everything on these cars.