Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

RallySport Direct's BRZ: The Albino Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: GC,GF,GD,GR,GH
Just got these.. Hot off the press from the in-house RSD media department!

First up we have the beautiful Carbign Craft Alternator Cover

This was a super easy install, took about all of 5 minutes and using normal hand tools using the OEM hardware. Plus, just look how gorgeous that looks in the engine bay. Rick recommended for sure!!

Next on the list are the APR Carbon Fiber Brake Ducts

Now these were a bit more involved to install, you remove the 2 under panels located below the stock "ducts", remove the 2 10mm nuts that go to the DRL's, pop out the factory units, pop these bad boys in, bolt it all back up and you are good to go! Please note, we did add some washers on the backside of the DRL studs to help give a more secure mount.
I really like these as it just gives the front of the car so much more character, granted we do not have any hoses going to our brakes, but that could be done easily in the future if need be. These are more than just for good looks!

You may also notice those beautiful Lamin-X headlight covers, now I did not install these so I cannot comment to much on the install. But just make sure to do it when it is warm out, or have a heat gun ready, also plenty of patience is key with any protective film. Don't they look amazing though? A bit of GT300 BRZ style right there!

Oh what shall we do next? I know! How about some APR Carbon Fiber rocker panel extensions.

Now this is what I am talking about, finally adding some aggression to the timid lil' Albino Rhino. In regards to the install, I do get nervous any time I hear the word "drill", I won't lie. Drill... On a brand new car?! Yep, but with APR's crystal clear instructions and the fact that these fit like an OEM piece, even I could not mess this up haha. Have a buddy help you with these, but if you have that, these are a breeze to install. Very satisfying as well once you are all done and you can sit back and see the way these have transformed the side of your car. So much better!!!!

Leaving my favorite for last, I present to you the APR Carbon Fiber rear bumper skirts.

Of course my favorite part was also the most timely for me to install. Now don't get me wrong, you will look at it and think, "pfft this will be easy, I mean you use the OEM holes and it just bolts right up!" All of that is true, but Subayota has blessed this area on the car with virtually no working space. Get your 1/4 10mm sockets and extension, and think small as you have to squeeze your hands in very tight spaces to gain access to the bolts. Even if you are blessed (cursed?) with small hands like me, it is still a tight squeeze. Even after all of the cursing...err I mean "nice words", I was absolutely blown away to see how amazing these made the rear of the car look, even the picture above does not do it justice! Also, a keen eye will notice something else new in this picture, and we will touch on that at a later date.

Thanks so much guys and please, let us know what you think! We always love to hear feedback! Also a big thanks to APR for making these beautiful carbon fiber products!

Rick
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Some more pictures due to popular demand!

Thanks!
Rick
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by RallySportDirect
Thanks! And I am no Photographer, nor do I have an eye for this stuff, but I do see what you are saying. I think this was more of a quick picture to highlight the JDM side markers.

Thanks,
Rick
Ahhhh ok
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
9 to 5 mod

http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co...inoFront01.jpg

Good pic!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Thanks! I love that one!!!

Rick
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Just got done with our 4th video blog update!

Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Another great picture I just received from our Photographer.

TEIN Coilovers installed! But as you can tell by the ice on the front bumper its freezing cold! Once it warms up a little bit outside/no snow/no ice(black ice)/temps go over freezing we will take the car out for a test drive and do a full review

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by RallySportDirect; 01-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Okay, first I must say I feel bad for being so late to get this review and feedback out on the Tein Street Flex Coilover kit. I know there were a few people requesting it, so I tried to get this written up as soon as possible, and with that said, let’s move on to the review shall we? At this time I did not have a chance to really push this suspension in the way I wanted to due to the cold weather and crazy snow we have been getting here recently, however on my first drive I did note some initial impressions of the suspension in general.

First let’s start with the boring details of the install. From start to finish, we were able to get this done in about 3 hours, and that was with me taking my sweet time and enjoying the peanut gallery’s commentary while I did the install. Fitment was spot on with all of the ABS and Brake line brackets, they were right where they needed to be, which made for an OEM fitment, a huge +1 in my opinion. With the car being so new, all of the bolts came off with no fuss, and the new suspension went on like butter on warm toast. All of the adjustments are easy to get to, including the spring pre-load, height adjustment, front camber adjustment and damping adjustment, I could not be more pleased with this. Now, we did lower the car a bit more than what Tein had set for us right out of the box, but with some careful measuring, this was a breeze, even with the wheels still on the car. I always expect a bit of fuss with just about anything I do with a car, but to have these go on so easily, I almost feared that the car gods would strike me down when I went for a test drive.

Now comes the moment of truth. I double checked all of the bolts and nuts for proper torque, torqued the lug nuts, lowered the car from the jack, put on my big boy pants(which are actually just my clean pants in this case), kissed my Tein Dampachi doll for good luck, and rolled out of the shop. Listening for any odd sounds or clunks as I went lock-to-lock with the steering wheel, and there was nothing but the sound of my tires picking up some small pebbles from the road(more likely tiny chunks of salt and ice) and bouncing them off the fender liners. This is the time when you can finally ease down from being a paranoid, hypersensitive freak, to just sitting back and enjoying the ride, and I am planning on it.

First stop, Nurburgring! Well.. not quite, it was actually the local chevron to fill up the bone dry fuel tank, but close enough right? After some much needed liquid hydrocarbons, I was off for a real road test. I swung onto the freeway to see how the dampers did in a higher speed situation with some pretty decent sized bumps, and I was really surprised to feel just how comfortable these coilovers actually are. Now I am never going to say they ride like stock, as that would be a lie, but if you ever find yourself wanting a more out of the stock suspension, I really think you would be happy with the comfort level on these new Street Flex coilovers. The damping felt like a perfect match for the springs, they absorb small sharp bumps just as well as they absorb the larger smooth bumps, and they were doing everything quietly as well. I made a quick exit off the freeway just so I could jump back on utilizing a long sweeper turn which put me right back on the freeway in the opposite direction. Not trying to push these “summer only” tires too hard in the bitter cold temps, I was being pretty careful around the turn, but still managed to go fast enough to put a smile on my face. I could instantly tell the response from the suspension and feedback from the car was greatly improved, allowing me to feel what the front and the rear end of the car were doing at all times, and this made me a happy boy!

Knowing the direction I was now going on the freeway was taking me directly to some very nasty roads, I thought that this would be a great time to really test the comfort of these coilovers as there was no way I could really give a solid impression of their performance this time of year. The suspension had no problem dealing with pot holes, cracks in the roads, smoother washboard sections, or medium sized bumps. I was very impressed that they were able to handle themselves on these horrible roads, but I knew I was quickly approaching the big one, the mother of all bumps, the one that makes me cringe even in a bone stock car, and I hit it hard. I could feel the suspension struggling to absorb such an impact so quickly, which happily transferred that shock into the chassis of the car, and then directly to my spine. I winced for a split second, perhaps knowing in advance what I was about to put the car and myself through, and then it was over. Ha! That was it? I expected so much worse! Not that I would want to turn around and do it again, but that is about the worst, most worthless, car destroying patch of road I could find for miles around, and the car did fine! I quietly apologized to the little Albino Rhino, and petting its dash panel for what I had just intentionally put it through. I made a promise that I would never put it through that much abuse again unless it was strictly for fun.

The rest of the ride home was quiet and enjoyable as I was able to just sit back and relax and reflect on how far we have come with this car. One thing that has never changed is the looks that this car gets. I counted no less than 7 “thumbs ups” on my short test drive, and countless necks turning into rubber, with my favorite being the small boys who stare in amazement at this tiny little car with blue wheels bopping down the road. If for nothing more than my own amusement, this car would still be an amazing ride just so other people can enjoy it. Needless to say I am still enjoying this car very much and really look forward to where we are taking the Albino Rhino in 2013, I truly think you guys will love it!

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Check out the new video of the Tein Street Flex coilovers we made.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Wanted to do a quick review on the Cusco engine mounts and their rear diff mount as well. One thing I noticed while driving the car was the vagueness coming from the stock engine mounts and the rear end as well. I saw this as a opportunity to not only improve on those aspects of the car, but it also gives me the opportunity to give you guys my impression of the parts as well.

Let's start with the install first. The engine mounts are very straight forward, simply unbolt the 2 large nuts on the bottom of the front cross member, and then the 4 bolts holding the left and right mounts to the engine block. Lift the engine up a few inches to gain enough clearance to remove the old mounts. The new cusco mounts are a bit easier to get in than the stock ones are to remove, but really neither are that bad. The new cusco mounts will bolt up just like stock, and so you will just reverse the uninstall process, and they should bolt right in without too much fuss.

The rear diff mount was a bit more tricky, and not that I would ever call it a difficult install, but a bit more time consuming as you do have to access the inner portion of the rear cross member, which will require you to remove the lateral arms from the rear cross member. Once you have access, you will want to get your skinny fingered friend to hold the nut on the inside of the cross member as you thread the long bolt through the new mount and into the nut. Other than that very minor frustration of small access holes, the install was a breeze and bolted up just like it was supposed to without any problems.

Now the review! I must say, I was never expecting these to retain the factory comfort levels, as I have run products like this on my own cars. I did notice a bit more noise and vibration than I was used to, but once I had a chance to go drive the car, I knew exactly why I did these mods, and the extra noise and vibration was almost a welcomed feeling. The direct connection these parts bring to the car is a huge improvement over the stock bushings, no longer do you feel the slop from the rear end, or the somewhat delayed response from the engine. Everything is instant, everything feels solid, and it feels AMAZING! Finally the Albino Rhino is starting to become what I had envisioned in my head, and besides the extra noise and vibrations, I could not ask for anything more.

I would not recommend these parts for anyone who wants to keep their car as a comfortable daily driver, as you will most likely despise these mods. But for someone looking for something more aggressive and direct, and does not mind the harshness, than this would be perfect!

Check out the videos below for some before and after.

Cusco Engine Mount Set Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S
Cusco Rear Differential Support Brace Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Been really busy with the car recently and have a few updates for everyone!

First, we installed the Kartboy short throw shifter with the rear bushing. Now we all know the stock shifter is pretty good, but I wanted even shorter throws and a more direct feel to the shifter as a whole and Kartboy came to the rescue with their Short Shift Kit!

I LOVE this shifter! Install was not too bad at all, and the shifts are definitely more crisp and direct, plus it does reduce the throw between shifts which makes for slightly quicker shifts as well. The rear bushing helped secure the shifter assembly as a whole and really adds to the feel when shifting quickly.

Next, we decided the car needed something up front to complete the look we were going for when we added all of the beautiful APR carbon fiber bits. So, naturally we looked to APR and we installed their Carbon Fiber Mirrors and Carbon Fiber front Air Dam. I was not quite sure how these would look, but based off the quality and look of the previous APR parts installed, we knew we had to install them, and I must say, they make the car look jaw droppingly beautiful.

And last but not least we installed the Prova Front Fender Emblems. Since day one, we have wanted to get rid of the stock fender emblems, and go with something a bit different, so as soon as these showed up here, I grabbed a set and installed them that same night. Fitment is perfect, the quality is top notch and they come pre-painted and ready to install. I really like these as they are a subtle addition to the car, they don't really stand out, but they do add something to the car that I just can't quite put my finger on. Either way, I am loving the way the car is looking with all of the additions we have done to it.

We have some really good things in the works for this car, can't divulge any info, but I think you will really like it

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by RallySportDirect; 04-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM
9 to 5 mod

The car is looking good!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

The Albino Rhino Receives Some Boost!!!!

Well well well, so the little Albino Rhino has finally lost its baby horn! I can’t say how excited I was when we received the Vortech SuperCharger in for our Albino Rhino BRZ. First I poured through the box checking out all of the components, resisting the urge to run around the shop making supercharger/blow off valve noises, but I kept my cool. Really, on the inside I was like a kid at Christmas and could barely contain my excitement. I literally started on the install that very night and enlisted the help of a few chosen comrades, one for install help, and one for comic relief. With the team in tow, we set out to give the Rhino some much needed boost.

The install was very straight forward and I was impressed with the fit and finish of the kit overall, plus it just looks beautiful and proper in the engine bay. I was not keeping track of time, but I would assume we spent a solid 6-7 hours on the install, potentially longer, although it is hard to say for sure as I never bothered to look at a clock, I just wanted to get this thing boosted! The initial startup made my heart drop for a brief moment when we saw oil dripping from under the car. With thoughts of all the worst case scenarios racing through my head I could not help but think “this whole thing is going to have to come back out and even worse, I won’t get to drive it tonight…” I don’t ever recall popping the hood, but I vividly remember looking down at an oil soaked By Pass Valve filter. I have never been so excited to make a dumb mistake! I cleaned the excess oil off the filter and off the floor of the shop and started it back up. Such feelings of accomplishment when you finally finish something you have wanted to do for almost a year, and as a plus everything looked perfect and sounded even better. It was time for a drive!

Pulling out of the shop was no different than any other time except one thing.. We have boost! Even at idle the car felt like it had a different personality, almost a new beginning for the car. We took it very easy at first, wanting to make sure everything was secure and running well. After a few low boost pulls around the area we pulled it back in to double check everything, re-check the oil level, and clean off the bit of hidden excess oil that still wanted to mist out of the BPV filter. Everything was spot on, I was getting the butterflies from excitement, and it was time to put it to the test. We first hopped on the freeway wanting to run it up to redline to check that boost was where it should be. Naturally I forgot to even look at the boost gauge, as I was having too much fun and needing to pay attention to redline and the cars around me. My very first impression was… “This feels like a fast N/A Honda!” and that would be the best way I could describe it, as it feels almost exactly the same as before, just much more, and it’s awesome! I know everyone says “this is how the car should be from the factory”, but it truly is in this case. The car was still very responsive, predictable, and a bit peaky in the power delivery, but we just get more uumph out of the little FA20, plus a noise that compliments the feeling very well.

In the lower RPM’s the car behaves much like a stock car would, but once you get into the upper RPM range, the engine just wakes up and propels you along briskly with a bit of noise. You don’t get the sense of speed or power like you do with a turbo, but instead you get a nice linear power band that is more than happy to accelerate you to law breaking speeds at a moment’s notice. Not that I would recommend doing that or anything

Overall I am very pleased with this kit and the performance it gave our Albino Rhino. I was not expecting break neck acceleration from it, but I may have under estimated this kit a bit and was taken back at how it transformed the vehicle and the engine. For being a 100% bolt on kit, I could not ask for more, as this is something an average person can do in their garage over the weekend. I had assume that because we were using stock injectors and a stock fuel pump that there were not much, if any gains to be had, but the Vortech kit pulled through and left me with a huge smile from ear to ear. If nothing else, the sore face from my extended drive was well worth it.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Good stuff Rick & RSD team. I'm hoping to do the same once a CARB legal kit is released.