Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

I like photography :)

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
Originally Posted by Jodice112

No my Nikon 18-55mm VR. These are all digital for now. I'm going to go pick up the F5 today and see if I can get some cool b&w shots.
F5 need use films,Need more technical
Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I'm taking a film photo class over at my community college and I need a film camera and this was a pretty good deal. It was a brand new in box Nikon F5 that the guy sold to me for $300. Not bad considering good condition ones go for about $400-$500. So if I resell it I'd actually make a profit .

And that's a really cool picture Matt. Are you a "professional" photographer or do you do it as a side job for money?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'm taking a film photo class over at my community college and I need a film camera and this was a pretty good deal. It was a brand new in box Nikon F5 that the guy sold to me for $300. Not bad considering good condition ones go for about $400-$500. So if I resell it I'd actually make a profit .

And that's a really cool picture Matt. Are you a "professional" photographer or do you do it as a side job for money?
Right now I'm technically a freelance graphic designer and photographer and drive limos as my "real" job. But in 2 weeks I'll be graduating with an associates in graphic design at which point I'll be looking for a job at a design firm (hopefully). If I am able to utilize my photography skills, great! Otherwise it'll remain a side/freelance job.

But, I mean, I'm no Michael McKay.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

$300 is a pretty nice pice of a brand new in box Nikon F5 !!!Con!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Right now I'm technically a freelance graphic designer and photographer and drive limos as my "real" job. But in 2 weeks I'll be graduating with an associates in graphic design at which point I'll be looking for a job at a design firm (hopefully). If I am able to utilize my photography skills, great! Otherwise it'll remain a side/freelance job.

How is computer graphic design? I took the the class in HS and I really liked it. I'm still undecided on my major so I'm open to anything.

Originally Posted by chinabox
$300 is a pretty nice pice of a brand new in box Nikon F5 !!!Con!!!
Yeah I got lucky with that. I've had a bit of good luck so far. I bought my '06 STi 2 months ago with only 4k miles on it. The guy garaged it and never drove it.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
VIP Member

How is computer graphic design? I took the the class in HS and I really liked it. I'm still undecided on my major so I'm open to anything.
I enjoy it, but you have got to have a thick skin and realize that you're creating for what the client wants, not just what you want. A lot of the "artsy" kids at school have a hard time grasping that.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 AM

I enjoy it, but you have got to have a thick skin and realize that you're creating for what the client wants, not just what you want. A lot of the "artsy" kids at school have a hard time grasping that.
Yeah our teacher would tell us exactly what to do and how she wants the project done and some of the "artsy" students would do it their own way and she would yell at them

And I love my new F5.

Oh sweet Jesus I love the size of the viewfinder. I don't think I can ever look at my APS-C sensor the same way ever again.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 AM
VIP Member

Yeah our teacher would tell us exactly what to do and how she wants the project done and some of the "artsy" students would do it their own way and she would yell at them
Yeah, to learn the technical skills you've really got to stick with the boring and tedious fundamental exercises. I mean, after that you do have some creative license, but if the client says "I want this illustrated" you can't hand them a photograph... unless you think you can convince them a photograph is better.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by chinabox
F5 need use films,Need more technical
Not really. I try to do it the right way. I get out my light meter and test ......... But I always take a shot with my DSLR first. Money is on the line when I press the shutter on the film camera haha

You *** I told you about portland right?
Yup personal work VS work haha

And I love my new F5.

Oh sweet Jesus I love the size of the viewfinder. I don't think I can ever look at my APS-C sensor the same way ever again.

wow that looks good!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Not really. I try to do it the right way. I get out my light meter and test ......... But I always take a shot with my DSLR first. Money is on the line when I press the shutter on the film camera haha
When I got my first DSLR (granted it was a Sony a100!) I calculated how many shutter clicks until I broke even against film development (didn't have a light room, so had to use Green's Camera World). I calculated it'd take somewhere in the range of 800 frames to break even. I think I hit that in the first week

Originally Posted by sigma pi
You *** I told you about portland right?
Is "Portland" code for something?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
When I got my first DSLR (granted it was a Sony a100!) I calculated how many shutter clicks until I broke even against film development (didn't have a light room, so had to use Green's Camera World). I calculated it'd take somewhere in the range of 800 frames to break even. I think I hit that in the first week

Is "Portland" code for something?
hahah yeah really economics makes it easy to decide.

You got a PM
Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

But now that film cameras are so cheap, it'd take a lot of film to catch up to a pro-body DSLR

I love the huge pro-body of the F5 though.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

But now that film cameras are so cheap, it'd take a lot of film to catch up to a pro-body DSLR

I love the huge pro-body of the F5 though.
I was only considering the price of film and development as I already owned the film camera. It was a cost analysis of going digital for myself, not in general.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 came in today

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM

great F5!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I like photography :)