Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

I like photography :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
Originally Posted by Jodice112
They didn't shoot you for taking their picture?
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Psssst he is the leader

His chinese name is Dailo
haha ,they are my classmate in collage.They are so sweet~~
Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by sigma pi
The audi shot is good
There is no Audi.......
Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I hope I'm getting better I'm really thinking about maybe going to a photography school

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
WoW
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Sorry if it was too many pictures

Half of those shots were shot in RAW. I finally built up the courage to try out and shoot RAW. It's amazing how much post processing can affect the final image. That yellow playground stair thing had the most boring, dull colors I've ever seen and after a little tweaking, it now hurts your eyes to looks at
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Sorry if it was too many pictures

Half of those shots were shot in RAW. I finally built up the courage to try out and shoot RAW. It's amazing how much post processing can affect the final image. That yellow playground stair thing had the most boring, dull colors I've ever seen and after a little tweaking, it now hurts your eyes to looks at
Yup, RAW is the way to go! If you mess up and forget it set white balance for a big shoot, you can easily adjust the actual color temp too, rather than just the +/-50 slider. RAW ROCKS!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm thinking about enrolling into either Brooks Institute or SF Academy of Art. I really want to become a commercial photographer but I have no clue where to start. I talked to my photo teacher (Greg Mettler) and he told me that there's a local professional photographer looking for a free apprentice so I might take him up on that offer.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'm thinking about enrolling into either Brooks Institute or SF Academy of Art. I really want to become a commercial photographer but I have no clue where to start. I talked to my photo teacher (Greg Mettler) and he told me that there's a local professional photographer looking for a free apprentice so I might take him up on that offer.
I was talking to one of the high school/jc recruiters from the school I just graduated from because she noticed the photos in a lot of my work. She was saying that she suggests students focus on a degree that they can incorporate photography into, rather than majoring in it. Although, take that with a grain of salt because neither of the Art Institutes of CA in the bay area have photography degrees, so that might be why she is downplaying it

Also, as a recent graduate of one, be careful of the quick in/quick out vocational/"for profit" schools.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-25-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah the tuition of Brooks Institute is pretty ridiculous as it is a "for profit" school.

Now I'm just more lost than ever.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Name:  _DSC8938ab.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  92.1 KB

Early morning photo for my buddies shop. This was not the final pic. We ended up taking some 150 photos.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:35 PM
banned

Yeah the tuition of Brooks Institute is pretty ridiculous as it is a "for profit" school.

Now I'm just more lost than ever.
Your photos are great... If I was you I would get in to a co-op and put them up for sale. This will get you out into the public.
Its hard breaking into the photo world. As everyone's uncle has a old 1.2mp camera now days.

Get your work out in the public for sale. What you think is nothing. Someone is going to want to buy. Make some money off those. What I have seen from you so far is $$.

What type of work are you looking to get into? I know ABC news has internships.

Last edited by old.guy; 09-25-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
banned

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Also, as a recent graduate of one, be careful of the quick in/quick out vocational/"for profit" schools.
Dude.. You have no idea how bad it is right now.... Look at why o tech. Their stock is COCO, They used to trade at $14-$18 per share. Last check I had friday morning. It was at $2.19 a share. And its been like this for a while. Tells you just hpw great their schools really are. I know people that have come out of there to get job placements doing nothing that they went to school for.

One got a degree in accounting. Now cuts dog hair at petsmart
Another degree at motorcycles and now works at wendys.
Both have huge school loans to pay off and trying to live off their huge pay they now make.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
Your photos are great... If I was you I would get in to a co-op and put them up for sale. This will get you out into the public.
Its hard breaking into the photo world. As everyone's uncle has a old 1.2mp camera now days.

Get your work out in the public for sale. What you think is nothing. Someone is going to want to buy. Make some money off those. What I have seen from you so far is $$.

What type of work are you looking to get into? I know ABC news has internships.
Thanks! That's seriously the nicest thing someone has ever said about my photos My friends hate that I have a camera in my hands all day but I just can't help it.

I really want to do model or product shots but I'm willing to start anywhere to get my feet wet. What is a co-op and how do I get into it?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
banned

Smile

Thanks! That's seriously the nicest thing someone has ever said about my photos My friends hate that I have a camera in my hands all day but I just can't help it.

I really want to do model or product shots but I'm willing to start anywhere to get my feet wet. What is a co-op and how do I get into it?
I have been banned for some friend events because I used to live with my camera.

I am sure Matt can help you on the Model stuff and he's really great at those.
As far as getting your feet wet, Get your photos together, Put some in there even you don't like. Then head out to some of the local places people visit. Hand the store manager or owner a few prints and your number. Ask them to put them up on a wall and see if anyone asked to buy them. If they do sell them for the going price. If the store owners are on the fence about it. Tell them your a student and this is part of your class. No one turns down a student

Co-op's are places that 4-6 people that want to get out in the public more rent a store in the popular place. They then rotate covering the store hours. The store is used to sell their work to the public.

You can also use places like Cafepress and such. The take care of billing, printing and shipping. Then they just send you a check every month.

Just remember what you do or don't like. Someone else will and might be willing to pay money for it.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
I have been banned for some friend events because I used to live with my camera.

I am sure Matt can help you on the Model stuff and he's really great at those.
As far as getting your feet wet, Get your photos together, Put some in there even you don't like. Then head out to some of the local places people visit. Hand the store manager or owner a few prints and your number. Ask them to put them up on a wall and see if anyone asked to buy them. If they do sell them for the going price. If the store owners are on the fence about it. Tell them your a student and this is part of your class. No one turns down a student

Co-op's are places that 4-6 people that want to get out in the public more rent a store in the popular place. They then rotate covering the store hours. The store is used to sell their work to the public.

You can also use places like Cafepress and such. The take care of billing, printing and shipping. Then they just send you a check every month.

Just remember what you do or don't like. Someone else will and might be willing to pay money for it.
Hahaha seriously. My girlfriend is probably tired of being my model all the time.

That's a good idea! I have some pictures of the local restaurants (like the clock one) and I could probably get good size prints to give to the managers. For our last project in photo we get to take a picture of what we think of Monterey County and they all get framed and placed in a local cafe.

Quick Reply: I like photography :)