Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
I wouldn't say mine are better, just a different style. Its nice to see you got a good shot of that red and white Mini...it is no longer alive.

*I should rephrase this*
Your shots, no matter the subject, all have a constant crisp and clean feel to them. I always enjoy exploring other shooters' styles because it allows me to find things that other people have done that appeal to me, and then adapt the ideas and concepts to my own work.

Again, nice to see so many others here in the BAIC interested in Photography.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 02-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
yeah im down for a pic road trip

Originally Posted by Jebb209
I have a camera question... I'm seriously looking at a Nikon D80... I'm a total novice when it comes to photography. Anyone object to this buy? Would I be as happy with a D40? I've heard Nikon is the way to go... Just a little advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be using it for autox, some sports events and such.

Thanks

Justin
D80 is really nice. If you can spare the money, get one. Never liked the D40. Too small, and the D40X might as well buy the D80.

The D40 is supposedly MORE user friendly, where i find the D80 to be easier.

Go on www.DPreview.com and compare them side by side if you haven't already.

Abes of Maine.com has some good deals on them. New egg had them for $799 months ago too. Amazon maybe
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Jebb209
I have a camera question... I'm seriously looking at a Nikon D80... I'm a total novice when it comes to photography. Anyone object to this buy? Would I be as happy with a D40? I've heard Nikon is the way to go... Just a little advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be using it for autox, some sports events and such.

Thanks

Justin
I've had my D40 for a year now. It was my first SLR (film or digital) and it's ease of use is very nice. The quality of the photos are good, but a lot of that has to do with what lens you're using as well. It's small size makes it easier to bring along and allows for a smaller camera case. I can't imagine how it's size can be a hindrance unless you have large hands and are already used to contemporary SLR cameras. It's a great camera to start learning about photography.

With that being said, I'm looking to upgrade soon to a D200. I'd like to have the features that I'm currently lacking with my D40. It's a great camera, but its severed it's purpose and I need to offset the price of a D200 body, because a used one is twice the price of a new D40 w/ kit lens. I wish I had the money to have both.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i never understood why adjusting colours in photoshop would be consider cheating. as an artist i want people to see what i saw or how i want people to see what i'm imagining. if adjusting colours of that sort is cheating, then ansel adams cheated a lot in the darkroom with dodging and burning. i'm sorry to offend anyone, but if posting an image straight from a RAW file without any correction is consider good work, then sorry straight RAW files look like crap. even scanned images from negatives require correction. i work at a lab and everything that is printed is corrected.
You make some good points with the dodging and burning, but done the "old fashioned way" in the dark room each print is "one of a kind" and cannot be reproduced exactly. With all the modern technology today, it is too easy to manipulate an image into anything you want.

As an amateur photographer who has started a side business, I take pride in the fact that NONE of my prints have been photochopped. What you see and buy is what is on the negative. No manipulation.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
I took those pictures today of my friends Mustang. For the record, I don't like Mustangs.

I did the HDR thing because she liked the pictures I did for the UCKK meet and wanted something like that. I think they turned out OK, but not sure about the redness. I just took them around sunset time. Let me know your thoughts.

I love the composition, but there is something about the colours that makes the photos seem a little fake to my eye. No offense intended!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by RallyWagon
You make some good points with the dodging and burning, but done the "old fashioned way" in the dark room each print is "one of a kind" and cannot be reproduced exactly. With all the modern technology today, it is too easy to manipulate an image into anything you want.

As an amateur photographer who has started a side business, I take pride in the fact that NONE of my prints have been photochopped. What you see and buy is what is on the negative. No manipulation.
Meh, old fashioned or new technology, the same thing occurs. The image is manipulated into something slightly different. I don't find anything morally wrong or professionally inappropriate. I just don't do it because I don't have the skillz.

That's my take on it anyway.

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
I love the composition, but there is something about the colours that makes the photos seem a little fake to my eye. No offense intended!
of course there is. this is what HDR toning does. believe me, it is not easy to offend me. this thread for all of us to learn from one another and love the criticism.

i am available next weekend either day. let's invite Aaron and John (JDM), and also Kyle.
Would love to go, but will be in Tahoe next w/e. Any chance you'll do another shoot maybe in March?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Would love to go, but will be in Tahoe next w/e. Any chance you'll do another shoot maybe in March?
of course. this should become a regular thing with different projects every time.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Here's a link to some of my photos ... http://www.zazzle.com/jbphotobiz

I have a Nikon F301 from the mid 80's with a couple of Tokina zoom lenses and a doubler. I also have a Ricoh AF-5, age unknown. Film still rules in this house!

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Wow - I must say, really nice work and good job on the film. I have a lot of respect for that.
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:47 PM

of course. this should become a regular thing with different projects every time.
Seriously, check out Mono Lake if you've never been there. It's got wild life, still life, plant life. Just depends what time of year you go.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Seriously, check out Mono Lake if you've never been there. It's got wild life, still life, plant life. Just depends what time of year you go.
i have been there a few times and got lots of pictures of it. one of my favorite drives was on hwy 395 from southern california up to reno. it took the best pictures ever. i also drove from sacramento on 50 to 395, south to 120, through yosemite out to 99, back up to sacramento. took tons of pictures as well.

all slides/film... zero digital.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
then from Mono you can go south to Devils Postpile i think, lots of cool rock formations near Mammoth Mtn where you can also Snowboard and Mtn Bike
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
then from Mono you can go south to Devils Postpile i think, lots of cool rock formations near Mammoth Mtn where you can also Snowboard and Mtn Bike
yep, i will post those pictures. rocks were out of this world.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Yeah and if you continue further south on 395 past Bishop you can head east on 168 to Bristlecone pine (great photo op) http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/about/ and then my all time favourite road 266 which is like driving your own roller coaster!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers