Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but using photoshop to "adjust" photos really feels like cheating - unless you're making them so weird that it is obvious something has been done to the picture.

Taking good photos takes practice, and a good eye. Did any of you see the Ansel Adams exhibit a few years ago? You could really see the progress he made over the years.
i never understood why adjusting colours in photoshop would be consider cheating. as an artist i want people to see what i saw or how i want people to see what i'm imagining. if adjusting colours of that sort is cheating, then ansel adams cheated a lot in the darkroom with dodging and burning. i'm sorry to offend anyone, but if posting an image straight from a RAW file without any correction is consider good work, then sorry straight RAW files look like crap. even scanned images from negatives require correction. i work at a lab and everything that is printed is corrected.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i never understood why adjusting colours in photoshop would be consider cheating. as an artist i want people to see what i saw or how i want people to see what i'm imagining. if adjusting colours of that sort is cheating, then ansel adams cheated a lot in the darkroom with dodging and burning. i'm sorry to offend anyone, but if posting an image straight from a RAW file without any correction is consider good work, then sorry straight RAW files look like crap. even scanned images from negatives require correction. i work at a lab and everything that is printed is corrected.
AMEN!

My goal in photography is to show people how I see the world...and sometimes the camera just doesn't agree with me...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but using photoshop to "adjust" photos really feels like cheating - unless you're making them so weird that it is obvious something has been done to the picture.

Taking good photos takes practice, and a good eye. Did any of you see the Ansel Adams exhibit a few years ago? You could really see the progress he made over the years.
i am with you 1000%.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I'm down for the shoot at Big Sur. Yosemite would be awesome too, but that would take some advanced planning and a lot of gas money.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Hugo, I think it is a great idea. I don't think we need a new thread for it. Let's keep all the Bay Area Photographers activities in one place so we don't lose track of it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM

I took those pictures today of my friends Mustang. For the record, I don't like Mustangs.

I did the HDR thing because she liked the pictures I did for the UCKK meet and wanted something like that. I think they turned out OK, but not sure about the redness. I just took them around sunset time. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
sounds good to me, what day did you and rice boy come up with?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM

i am available next weekend either day. let's invite Aaron and John (JDM), and also Kyle.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Would love to do it but it depends on day and time. Weekends only for me though.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 05' AW STi
I have a camera question... I'm seriously looking at a Nikon D80... I'm a total novice when it comes to photography. Anyone object to this buy? Would I be as happy with a D40? I've heard Nikon is the way to go... Just a little advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be using it for autox, some sports events and such.

Thanks

Justin
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
could we push it out a cupple weeks so I can get off work
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Jebb209
I have a camera question... I'm seriously looking at a Nikon D80... I'm a total novice when it comes to photography. Anyone object to this buy? Would I be as happy with a D40? I've heard Nikon is the way to go... Just a little advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be using it for autox, some sports events and such.

Thanks

Justin
I'd get a D40 if I were you. D80 is more for the photo enthusiast who needs some more features and when setting need to be changed quickly (not through a menu).

I've used craigslist for my D40 (and then again when I got my d80)

-Gagan
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jebb209

Thanks

Justin
I come from the Nikon F5 power and using it shooting action sports. That camera was out of this world when it comes to focus and speed. I wanted to purchase a digital camera and went with the D80. The only thing that disappoints me on daily bases is the focusing. I like to choose what I am focusing on and that I have not seen anywhere in the documentation. I would probably recommend D80 over D40, but if you have the money, then go with a D300 which is the professional level. I know you say you are novice right now, but if you are planning on shooting events like the autox, then you need to know the demands of that sport. Fast focusing which means not just the body, you have to spend good money on an awesome lens. We already discussed lenses on this thread and you really have to study your lens before you purchase it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Just found this thread, figured I'd contribute. Nice to see so many shooters in the BAIC.

These are some low res jpegs from the NASA event at Sears today.

Name:  Andy_and_Jim.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  Andy_n_Jim_Approaching_11_T.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  61.0 KB
Name:  Andy_n_Jim_Approaching_SMAL.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  Andys_Stang_Exiting_Turn_1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  42.5 KB
Name:  Close_Before_Racing_MASTER.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  68.0 KB
Name:  Honda_Challange_Tack_Worker.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  40.4 KB
Name:  Porsche_Following_Z06_MASTE.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  53.2 KB
Name:  Porsches_Turn_11_002_MASTER.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  47.3 KB
Name:  RS_and_944_Turn_11_MASTER.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  Sears_MASTER.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  Z06_Exiting_Turn_11_MASTER.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  50.8 KB
Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM

wow, those are much nicer than the crap i just posted in this thread. i was there yesterday and did not really capture much of the good stuff. i was overwhelmed with how different cars and people were there.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/infineon-feb-09th-2008-pictures-178956/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers