Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
so what photography forums/websites do people frequent?
the best i see out there is www.photo.net since it shows lots of other people's work and you get to critique and learn about how they did it.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Here are a couple more of mine that I just came across after finishing up my Still Life homework. First three I was stupid and didn't check my ISO so they were shot at 1600. Some of you might recognize the last one
Name:  RS_001_WEB.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  Rocky_001.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  Rocky_002.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  33.7 KB
Name:  LIC_Overlap_Low_Res_for_web.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  MacGyvers_RS_002_Low_Res_f.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  T_Patrick_Meves_LIC_Sticker.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  117.6 KB
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i love getting done with a nature shot in fulll daylight realizing youre on ISO1600!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
i love getting done with a nature shot in fulll daylight realizing youre on ISO1600!
i hope you're joking. what results do you get with that iso?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
photoshop CS has adobe camera raw. what camera are you using? if you are using a pretty new camera, you'll have to convert your raw files to DNG files before CS can open them. DNG are digital negative files. the problem right now is every manufacture has it's own raw format (Nikon with NEF, Canon with CR), so there is no standard unlike JPEG. that is why adobe is trying to standardize it with DNG. someone correct me if i'm wrong because it's been a couple years since i read that.

also if you are going to edit your files a lot, save them as tiff or psd format so you won't lose the pixel information. every time you save a jpeg you lose that info as EndlessWaltz RS has mentioned.

EndlessWaltz RS, i have heard about AdobeRGB but never used it, is it really like night and day compared to sRGB?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Yeah dude, its rough and it would be such a simple thing to check before hand.

This is a perfect example of a problem I have run into while using auto focus. I shoot Canon(here it comes) so I'm not sure if Nikon will have the same problem, and it might even be specific to my 5D(maybe someone here will be able to clearify) but when using the auto focus in conjunction with a any filter other than a standard UV, the camera kind of freaks out and can't pinpoint an exact point of focus while shooting anything in motion. It gets close, but no where near as sharp as it should be. With the higher grade L series lenses this isn't a problem, or at least I haven't run into it yet with my 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM.
Name:  Adam_n_David_Sears_Point_00.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
its oh so wonderful when you realize it when you get home
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
VIP Member

JZ,

Yes and no, but short answer is yes. If you have ever looked at a visual representation of a color space, it will make your head hurt trying to figure it all out. Here is what Adobe 1998 looks like VS sRGB. Adobe 1998 is the white and sRGB has been layed over the top of it to show the difference in gamut.
Name:  sRGB-colorspaceVSAdobe1998.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  42.2 KB
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Yeah dude, its rough and it would be such a simple thing to check before hand.

This is a perfect example of a problem I have run into while using auto focus. I shoot Canon(here it comes) so I'm not sure if Nikon will have the same problem, and it might even be specific to my 5D(maybe someone here will be able to clearify) but when using the auto focus in conjunction with a any filter other than a standard UV, the camera kind of freaks out and can't pinpoint an exact point of focus while shooting anything in motion. It gets close, but no where near as sharp as it should be. With the higher grade L series lenses this isn't a problem, or at least I haven't run into it yet with my 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM.
this problem is common no matter what camera you use Nikon or Canon. Most sports photography is done using Canon so there must be a good reason for that. I always go back to the lens people use because that is the one that makes the biggest difference. Go to Keeble and Shuckat in Palo Alto and rent different lenses when you go out to do a shoot like this to figure out which one works best for what you want to do before you buy it. Calumet in San Francisco does rentals as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
this problem is common no matter what camera you use Nikon or Canon. Most sports photography is done using Canon so there must be a good reason for that. I always go back to the lens people use because that is the one that makes the biggest difference. Go to Keeble and Shuckat in Palo Alto and rent different lenses when you go out to do a shoot like this to figure out which one works best for what you want to do before you buy it. Calumet in San Francisco does rentals as well.
there are places that rent lenses?

yay for being a student! Adobe Lightroom at 1/3rd of the price ($99), CS3 Extended for $299, but for some reason no discount on regular CS3

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 02-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM

thats one reason i like my Canon, when you look at the sidelines, all you see are off white lenses

but i like each company, dont have any reason not too, since some people apparently have robotic vision and can tell which picture came from which brand LOL! not mentioning any names...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
70-200 2.8 $30 a day!

same with any other 2.8 lens, some are $20

Weekends you get a free day
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Yeah I frequent Calumet because I get a discount being an Academy student...but unfortunately its not much. Thank you for clearifying that for me, I was wondering.

Back to the color space issue. Here is a write up that might help explain all this crap...and it is a lot to keep track of.

http://www.photographybay.com/2007/0...e-rgb-vs-srgb/

Think of it this way, in digital, there really are no colors. The sensor reads light as a series of tones and assigns them a numerical value anywhere between 0-255, making a total of 256 with 0 being absolute black and 255 being absolute white.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Yeah I frequent Calumet because I get a discount being an Academy student...but unfortunately its not much. Thank you for clearifying that for me, I was wondering.

Back to the color space issue. Here is a write up that might help explain all this crap...and it is a lot to keep track of.

http://www.photographybay.com/2007/0...e-rgb-vs-srgb/

Think of it this way, in digital, there really are no colors. The sensor reads light as a series of tones and assigns them a numerical value anywhere between 0-255, making a total of 256 with 0 being absolute black and 255 being absolute white.
another thing i like to add is try to get something that has internal focusing. nikon call those IS ir AF-S i think. those lenses usualy focus much faster.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile

yay for being a student! Adobe Lightroom at 1/3rd of the price ($99), CS3 Extended for $299, but for some reason no discount on regular CS3
i just purchased CS3 for $299 on their website. i got an email promotion and went for it. not sure how much i will use it, but i will let you guys know.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers