Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

The Reverend's shaggin wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Big changes coming.. later this year.

Lots of new toys...
Old 08-29-2016, 03:36 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
More eggsauce?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Call me Pebbles

Swapped out the Stromung for an Invidia full titanium N1 race catback (which is for sale, bee tee dub) because (1) I was bored and, (2) apparently, I am too good of terms with my neighbors. lol
Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Call me Pebbles

Rear diff swap is finally done along with a bunch of other **** (see first post). Holy *****! It feels like a different car with the locking rear differential. ALL the oversteers!

Still messing around with the lateral links--one of the Whiteline lateral links had a seized lock nut so I'm using aluminum STi front lateral links temporarily until that mess gets resolved.

Lots of other projects coming up:
JDM STi headlight retrofit--gonna do bi-xenon HIDs (low AND high beams) with the halogen high beams
Rear cambers plates (got the mexipoke now with the wider STi axles and lateral links)
STi front control arms with ALK, bushings and roll-center adjustment

...and I still have to fix my fog lights.

****ing money pits. lol
Old 02-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Call me Pebbles

Unexpected change/upgrade:

Name:  pqHKNhLl.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  94.0 KB

After about 15 months and 10,000 miles of approximately equal use on 91 and E85, the DW200 fuel pump gave up the ghost.

DW claims the DW200 was E85-compatible. I have evidence to the contrary. Trading emails with them as we speak.

In any event, the AEM is in. We'll see how well it holds up.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Call me Pebbles

Updated pictures of the lateral links:

Name:  HAyHHwOl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  103.7 KB

And this bad boy installed:

Name:  fRwokYwl.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB
Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
The AEM pump is a beast
Old 02-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Call me Pebbles

Never ends.

The STi cluster I got was broked--speedometer stepper motor was toast and the needle would bounce erratically under acceleration. So, that's going back to the group I bought it from and the 04 WRX cluster is going back in.

Good news, though: finally got the OEM front bushings and sleeves out of the front control arms (amazing what the right tools will do) and the Whiteline bushings in so these bad boys will be going in soon (I hope):

Name:  sUU9Ttxl.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

The pile is dwindling. Down to just (in order of priority):
07 STi Limited (black) Brembos with fresh rotors and Ferodo DS2500s
GR/GV STi top mount (need to get the IAT bung welded on)
New/different seats (need more support/bolster than the Evo Recaros)
Bi-xenon JDM retro headlight project
Replace the fog lights

...and the beat goes on.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Call me Pebbles

w00t. Finally got all the suspension stuff installed. This is my happy face while working:

Name:  1eVfXapl.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Front:
STi aluminum control arms
Whiteline ALK
Whiteline front LCA bushings
Whiteline roll-center adjustment kit (tie-rod ends and outer LCA balljoints/bushings)

Word of caution to any others attempting the control arm swap: we though we'd be slick and measured/marked where the original tie-rod ends were so, when we swapped in the roll-center adjustment kit with the aluminum control arms, our toe would be close to where it was and wouldn't be too far off. This was the result after we swapped everything in (note: the steering wheel was centered):

Name:  2Ma1zFGl.jpg
Size:  37.6 KB

After a fair amount of head-scratching, we realized that since the aluminum control arms were about 15mm wider/longer than the original, the ball joint was further out and thus resulted in a ****-ton more toe in. lol Geometry is hard. Obviously, I couldn't drive it anywhere to get the toe zeroed, I had to break out the chalk, tape measure, and string. Shadetree-ed the toe as close as could to at least get it driveable and had the professionals take care of the rest. Quicky alignment after install got the toe close to zero and gained about a degree more negative camber (maxed at about -3.5) and about 1.2 degrees more caster. I have to toy around with the height a bit before I get the alignment really dialed. Ultimately, I want to get the camber set to about F-2.7/R-2.0.

All in all, the install of the Whiteline stuff was pretty straightforward. Only real hiccup is that, since the ALK LCA mounts are thicker than stock and the spacers included for the U-brace move it down about 0.5" to 0.75", my H-brace no longer will mount up correctly. I guess I need to go get an Oswald brace now.

Other projects: While I had everything disassembled, I had the front wheel bearings replaced and (finally) swapped out the red Brembos for the black Brembos from a 2007 STi Limited--this was a two-fold fix: (1) the company that rebuilt the red Brembos did an absolute **** job "repairing" the mounting threads as the helicoils were pulling out and (2) I very much like the look of the black calipers better. Observe the approximately 4.5 degrees of caster:

Name:  AW2DzoNl.jpg
Size:  87.8 KB

Toby hanging out looking all sexy and ****:

Name:  I8nRkDZl.jpg
Size:  127.6 KB

Everything feels amazing. The car definitely feels more planted. As far as suspension goes, I think I'm set and the only possible changes/upgrades I can foresee are more bracing (Oswald, Cusco, etc.) and possibly stiffer springs.

While I was underneath, I noticed the valve covers are leaking pretty bad so that will need to be addressed, but after that, I guess, more power! lol

Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Churro Aficionado

Yeah buddy!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Car Info: bugeye
Nice
Old 04-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Call me Pebbles

Awesome updates:

Switched out the HKS exhaust with a GMS 3" V-band Cobb rep cat-back that sounds amazing. This one might stick longer than the requisite few weeks. Here's a picture next to the Prodrive setup.

Name:  OkOQmf1l.jpg
Size:  96.8 KB

Replaced my driver Evo 8 Recaro withe a Recaro RSD for stiffer bolsters. Didn't think I'd like it at first, but after driving around with it for a few hundred miles and first autocross, I am in love! Center section needs some sprucing up, but, overall, I'm super happy.

No picture of this, yet.

FINALLY have a fancier instrument cluster that works! Sourced a correct-ish mileage EDM Prodrive STi cluster (from Lithuania o_0), plugged in, and go! Center tach, shift light and buzzer, AOT display (need to build and wire in circuit--summer project). Everything I need/want.

Name:  uShpvPSl.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  32.5 KB

And, happiest of all, new shoes! 17x9 +42 DPTs to better fit the 245s (maybe room for 255s?). Love the look and fits even though I had to raise the car up a smidge.

Name:  B67Z70Ll.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Call me Pebbles

Here's some action shots, courtesy of @tentwentyphotography (look him up on IG):

Name:  3mPhuCgl.jpg
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  8Ho1G9yl.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  DcfWEOxl.jpg
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  Sla7UTcl.jpg
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  Maens0Rl.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  QFJCZfxl.jpg
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  2JDbf7Kl.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

Now that I've had the chance to smash around the autocross course in Toby since the rear end swap and all suspension upgrades, all I can say is: HOLY. ****.

This car is so freaking tail-happy with the locking rear end! I was actually having to control/fight off oversteer and managed to control a slide around a 90 left with throttle input--I guess the kids call this "drifting"? It was glorious. Even with full stiff (dampers and sway bar) rear and full soft front, I've really have got the car to rotate.

Until now.

Oh lordy, this is a completely different vehicle now. The real kicker is to think how easily the back end steps out and how easily it is controlled.. and this was on 91! I jump up 50 ft-lbs of torque on corn! I am really disappointed I didn't get video this round of autocross, but there will be next round for sure! I may or may not ditch dinosaur sauce for corn juice then. Still undecided.

Last edited by Rev. Rob Large; 04-10-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Churro Aficionado

Do the next Sat on 91 then Sunday on E85
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Call me Pebbles

I seem to be going through wheels a lot lately. Newest acquisitions:

Name:  TRY0dcFl.jpg
Size:  92.9 KB

17x9 +42 Rota RT5 in ridiculous teal. Same size and offset as the DPTs I picked up, but the paint on those was.. rough.. so they will be going off to powder coat later on. I got these because of the size, but they are definitely an acquired taste when it comes to color. When I initially put them on, my first thought was, "Dear, God. What have I done?" Going several days now, I'm really liking them.

In addition to the wheels, I mounted the 245/40 Bridgestone RE-71Rs I just got on them. These tires are sticky. Very sticky. I love it. They have a bit of a hum, but those more knowledgeable than me said it's just the mold release coating that will wear of in a week or two and then they will be about as loud as the R-S3s.

Initial impressions:
- way stickier than the R-S3 V2s, even when new.
- much stiffer sidewall for crisper and more precise turn-in.
- loud.

More to follow the next autocross.

Last edited by Rev. Rob Large; 05-13-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: The Reverend's shaggin wagon