NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

FS: 1998 Impreza 2.2 L Sedan, Acadia Green, automatic - needs work - $400

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 2018 Crosstrek
FS: 1998 Impreza 2.2 L Sedan, Acadia Green, automatic - needs work - $400

1998 Impreza L Sedan, 2.2, automatic, Acadia Green, in San Jose - $400

I am selling my beloved Impreza because I bought a new car that better suits my current needs, though isn't as fun (a Crosstrek). It needs a fair amount of work to be a reliable daily driver again.

~152,500 miles, many of them hard miles, including driving cross-country 7 times (NY-CA).

Engine runs well. Has been dutifully maintained, with full synthetic oil the past 50k or so. Could probably benefit from cleaning valves or whatever to idle smoother, but when you get it going it feels great.

Interior mostly pretty good, with some areas of relatively mild damage from wear and tear. A/C gets quite cold but will probably need to be recharged. Body overall in good condition - no paint fading (it has not spent most of its life in sunny CA, and has for most of its life been regularly cleaned and waxed), normal amount of small dings etc.

Recently replaced: radiator cap, knock sensor, exhaust pipes that were falling apart, one tie rod, new very bright headlights. Tires not new, but should be good for a while.

Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/PRzrWKu

(It is super dirty right now because it’s been sitting outside.)

Issues:

The big one - transmission slips. I don’t think the gears are damaged - it works well, for a while, if you flush and replace the transmission fluid. I think it just needs to be rebuilt with new gaskets. This is the basis for the low price because that’s not a cheap repair.

Tie rod - there is a mild knocking when the wheels are turned all the way, from the tie-rod. One of them was replaced a couple of years ago, and now presumably the other one needs to be replaced. OK to drive, it’s not that noticeable, but needs to be fixed.

Cosmetic - hood is bent. Closes securely, but with a gap. There was a minor collision - I wasn’t the driver so insurance didn’t cover it, and at the time I didn’t have the money to fix it properly. It’s been fine like this for about 8 years. Front right corner was scraped against a wood beam in a separate incident; stuff there is looser than ideal but works, and paint is severely scuffed.

Alarm/remote - I had to cut the wire to the alarm speaker when I wasn’t able to disarm it. The controller box has a short or other damage. I just took it completely out - it can be replaced (I have seen them on ebay); without it the remote locks don’t work (or the alarm, obviously) but the power lock buttons in the car do still work.

CD changer - busted; I had to take it out and open it up to get my trapped CDs from ten years ago out. I’d recommend replacing it with the unit without the CD changer and a cubby-hole instead, if you can find one. Radio and tape deck do work fine.

Battery - you’re probably going to want a new one, but it’ll work to get you home and while you work on repairs. I’ve had it out of the car connected to a battery tender so it’s ready to go.

Thoughts:

I like the features of my new car, but this Impreza is a lot more fun to drive. And I love the unique color, small size (without feeling small inside), and good looks for a basic car style. I love the quirky design, like how the doors are like convertible doors (no upper part - just glass). It feels very thoughtfully designed, and very human - something honestly kind of missing from my new Crosstrek.

Yes, I have a sentimental connection to it. It’s not a precious classic, but I don’t want to see it get scrapped if it doesn’t have to be. I’m listing here instead of craigslist in the hopes of finding someone who will appreciate it for what it is (perhaps you can rebuild the transmission yourself, in which case it’s a great deal).

Asking $400 but I’ll consider offers. Mainly just want to see it go to a good home. If you buy it for the engine or other parts, I guess what I don’t know won’t hurt me (that’s still a better result than going to a scrapper, I suppose). Registration due in July, but smog is good for another year (it shouldn’t have any trouble passing smog, anyway).

If there's no interest and it isn't worth anything, fine... but thought I'd try before throwing it away on craigslist.