Don’t Ever Go To Midcity Subaru In Chicago!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Don’t Ever Go To Midcity Subaru In Chicago!!!!

Okay guys, here is my rant, get ready. I took my car over to DS1 Motorsports a few weeks ago just to get the car checked out, to see what Dylan thinks. I bought it used, so I don’t know what the previous owner has done to it. Dylan told me that overall it’s in good shape, but there is a little coolant seepage coming from the head gasket, which is normal for the 1998-2001 Imprezas. There was a service bulletin for it up to 100,000 miles, but I have 104,000 miles, so I contacted SOA.

A few days later Kim from SOA contacted me telling to take the car to a dealership and have them check it out. I took it to MidCity Subaru on Irving Park Rd in Chicago because it is a 10 minute drive for me. I get there, they told me that I have to pay them $100 to have them check it out, and if it does get covered then Subaru will refund me the money. They checked it out and said that they have to call regional. I paid my $100 and went because it was after 5:00 and nobody would be in their office at regional. A few days later, Kim and Veronica (works in service department at MidCity) call me telling me that Subaru will cover it. GREAT!! NICE!!! Became really happy, made an appointment, and the next week I brought the car in on a Tuesday. Right when I got there they said that the mechanic recommends replacing a few other parts like timing belt, water pump, and a few other BS things. At first, I just wanted the head gasket to be replaced because it was going to be free and I didn’t want to pay out of my own pocket. Then I thought, hey, it has 100,000 miles, and since they’re taking the engine apart they might as well. After all the parts and labor, the total came out to be $900!!! :O Pretty pissed, but at least I know that it will run well. NOT. I got the car back on Friday a few minutes before they closed shop. Paid the bill, took the car, and got out of there. 5-10 minutes of driving and the car felt like complete crap. Misfiring like CRAZY. I wanted to take the car back, but they closed already. Sneaky bastards.

Monday morning I brought the car in, and a guy who works in the service department, Phil, treated me like total crap. I told him that the timing belt is misaligned – that’s why it’s misfiring- and that it is really low on power. I told him that after paying $900, I expect to have a perfect running car. He went off on me telling me that if the timing belt was misaligned, the engine would break right away, that it would blow, that I wouldn’t be able to start it nor drive it. I told him that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He told me to make another appointment. Great, now I can pay another $100 for some idiot’s mistake. I emailed Kim and told her what happened again.

The last time I brought it in (Friday, 10/18/07) I go in with my neighbor who works on and builds Subaru engines, who is a big reason to why I bought a Subaru. We got there, and right before I was able to say anything Phil blurted out that there is nothing wrong with the car. I kept on arguing until I was able to get the mechanic to get in the car and go for a test drive with me. I clearly showed him about 15 -20 times that it is misfiring very badly in low RPM’s, and that it is running like crap. I showed him in first gear, second gear, and third that it is misfiring. He told me that it’s the spark plugs and cables, then he told me that it’s my clutch shudder, then he told me that it’s bogging, and he finally told me that I am only thinking that there is a problem with it. He told me that I don’t know what I’m talking about, and that I should take the Service Manager, the boss of the dealership on a test drive and show him. We got back to the dealership, I told the service manager to go on a test drive so that I can show him what’s going on. He said that there is nothing wrong with the car because he trust’s his mechanics. My neighbor then said that it’s misfiring and that the mechanic is full of crap. The Service Manager then started yelling, cussing, and threatening my neighbor with calling the police, to get the **** off his property because he isn’t a customer.

We left the dealership after the Service Manager yelled, cussed, threatened, and told us to dealing with SOA. Now I am out of $900, stuck with a car that runs like ****, and pretty much helpless because Kim from SOA said that the case is closed because the dumbass mechanic from MidCity found no problems with the car.

**** MIDCITY, THE SERVICE MANAGER, AND THE “HIGHLY TRAINED” MECHANIC THAT PROBABLY DIDN’T GRADUATE HIGHSCHOOL AND IS ONLY GOOD FOR OILCHANGES.

/rant. –Arthur

CLIFFNOTES: went in for head gasket under warranty, got recommended parts, payed $900, got a car that runs like garbage, staff at MidCity are useless *******
Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
w0w thats amazing im sorry
Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
yeah it really sucks i want to keep you guys updated to let you know how it goes. -arthur