Beale/Marysville/Yuba City Interest

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
I just got back from a week-long motorcycle/camping ride on this route:

, and it was the first time I've had a chance to ride Mount Hamilton Road (130) where, apparently, the BAIC has an annual meet. I can't believe I grew up in San Jose & never knew about this road... definitely worth doing, especially on the bikes, and could be interesting in a Subie with decent suspension - lots of tight uphill/downhill turns and an amazing view of the valley below for any photo enthusiasts.

We should definitely get together & do a meet & drive soon. Spring is also one of the best times of year for weekend drive/camp rallies, so I might try to scout out some good areas for a weekend trip we could do in the spring or summer. Anyone interested in that kind of thing?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM

What's up guys? Kinda new to this forum, but been on Beale since 2007, any upcoming rides or meets?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX 5 Door
Anyone interested in a meet and ride Saturday the 27th? Meet up @ Marysville Starbucks around 6:30 and take a ride over the bridge to Yuba City, maybe grab some food somewhere? If we want to do more of a "ride" we could meet a little earlier, around 5 or so, and head up the hill to Grass Valley/Nevada City, that's a pretty fun drive.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 2006 forester xt , 95 eclipse 6bolt
If your coming up hwy 20 take a detour to Bridgeport fun lil road up to the 49.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by norcalSVX
Something like this route along Pleasant Valley?

Alternatively, if you don't mind a bumpy road, Oregon Hill Road can be fun to take up to Challenge. One of the most entertaining rides I've taken on the bike was up to Quincy via Quincy LaPorte road - very twisty, elevation changes, and a decent place to stop in Quincy for lunch before heading back via Bucks Lake Road or out to Hwy 70 & down the canyon.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Originally Posted by RALIWGN
I just got back from a week-long motorcycle/camping ride on this route:

We should definitely get together & do a meet & drive soon. Spring is also one of the best times of year for weekend drive/camp rallies, so I might try to scout out some good areas for a weekend trip we could do in the spring or summer. Anyone interested in that kind of thing?
That would be a cool idea, I don't know if I could swing an overnight trip until late June/early July though. Looks like you had a great trip, what do you ride? I bought a KLR650 last fall and have been itching to do a trip like that.

Originally Posted by AllAnIllusion
Anyone interested in a meet and ride Saturday the 27th? Meet up @ Marysville Starbucks around 6:30 and take a ride over the bridge to Yuba City, maybe grab some food somewhere? If we want to do more of a "ride" we could meet a little earlier, around 5 or so, and head up the hill to Grass Valley/Nevada City, that's a pretty fun drive.
Sounds awesome, were you thinking am or pm? I'm going to the Ferrari Challenge in Sonoma that Sunday so I might be able to swing an early morning meetup or drive before I tackle the Saturday chore list. I'd be coming back to GV/NC so obviously a group drive sounds good to me.

Originally Posted by norcalSVX
I've only been as far as Bridgeport but that looks like a good drive. Did you say you're out of town that weekend in the Ferrari Challenge thread? We should put a drive together for sometime in May if that's the case.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
That would be a cool idea, I don't know if I could swing an overnight trip until late June/early July though. Looks like you had a great trip, what do you ride? I bought a KLR650 last fall and have been itching to do a trip like that.

SNIP

We should put a drive together for sometime in May if that's the case.
I ride a 2009 Kawasaki Versys most of the time, as I did on this ride, but I also have a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650 that's currently at my brother's waiting for the 685 kit I ordered from Eagle Mike. I've been riding with the Gold Country Dual Sport Riders (Google GCDSR) for around 6 years now, and, although the week-long ride we did was mostly/all pavement, they're always posting up a wide variety of paved & dirt & single track rides depending on who wants to lead the ride. I've also got a KLX250S I use for single track rides that I *can* ride to a staging spot, but prefer to throw on the Joe Hauler to a staging spot to keep the paved miles off the D606's.

Have you done much riding on the KLR? Is it set up more for street or dirt or both?

A drive in May would be great - I've got a route in mind that was the latter part of the ride I just completed. But it depends on whether anyone wants to do a long 3-day-weekend drive with camping or just a short day drive locally.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 2006 forester xt , 95 eclipse 6bolt
Raliwgn- yea pleasant valley is the one ..the way back through dobbins is kinda boring not as fun as the 49 to downeyville but that's a pretty far drive..

Darthwagon .. Yea ill be out of town the 26-28th n may 19th is my race
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by RALIWGN
I ride a 2009 Kawasaki Versys most of the time, as I did on this ride, but I also have a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650 that's currently at my brother's waiting for the 685 kit I ordered from Eagle Mike. I've been riding with the Gold Country Dual Sport Riders (Google GCDSR) for around 6 years now, and, although the week-long ride we did was mostly/all pavement, they're always posting up a wide variety of paved & dirt & single track rides depending on who wants to lead the ride. I've also got a KLX250S I use for single track rides that I *can* ride to a staging spot, but prefer to throw on the Joe Hauler to a staging spot to keep the paved miles off the D606's.

Have you done much riding on the KLR? Is it set up more for street or dirt or both?

A drive in May would be great - I've got a route in mind that was the latter part of the ride I just completed. But it depends on whether anyone wants to do a long 3-day-weekend drive with camping or just a short day drive locally.
The Versys is a cool bike, since I got my KLR I've been wondering if that or a V-Strom would be a good alternative. Mines an 09 that I bought with 9K on the odo and its set up for both I guess. It has Trailwing tires on it but I'll probably be changing those out soon. I'd like a 60/40 street/dirt setup ideally. I've put some Motech crash bars and a KTM fender on it so far. A new seat is next on the list. The previous owner was vertically challenged and had it shaved down.

Name:  IMG_2995.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  275.3 KB

I've heard of the Gold Country DS riders but haven't gone on any rides with them yet. There are also sometimes good ride groups on the Sac area thread on advrider. I just started riding last year when I bought the bike so I've just been doing solo rides around the area but I'd love to do some longer group stuff.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM

If we did a ride this Saturday I'd like to go early, maybe leave Marysville by 7 am. I'm down to go as early as would work for others, most weekends I'm up by 5:30 to golf so early is not a problem for me. Grab some coffee at Starbucks before we hit the road? I'll keep checking the thread to see what others are thinking.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I'd be down for that. Where were you thinking of going?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM

I hadn't really thought about my actual destination, haha. Probably just cruise to Nevada City, maybe grab some food at the Quarter Café or something, don't really know. Totally open to suggestions!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM

Sounds good to me, although I don't know if I'd have time to stay for Ike's. I'd probably head home once we make our way to NC, it turns out my wife threw together an early bbq at our house with her family that day so I've got yard work to get to.

One idea would be to meet at Starbuck's at 7, then Hwy 20 to Pleasant Valley Rd, past Bridgeport, and then connect with 49 north of NC.

Or we could take 20 to Marysville Rd past Collins lake and continue past Bullard's Bar lake until hitting 49 further north of Pleasant Valley and heading back down to NC.

Let's get some more peeps on board!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

I hit up one of my friends ('13 sti) hoping he's down, I'll keep checking the thread today to see if we can pull this off
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by AllAnIllusion
I hit up one of my friends ('13 sti) hoping he's down, I'll keep checking the thread today to see if we can pull this off
So what do you think, mang? Should we postpone this until more people can come?

Quick Reply: Beale/Marysville/Yuba City Interest