9th Annual Redwood Rendezvous Road Rally Adventure Tour and Campout, yes it's been...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 2008 AW FSXT
Anyone that doesn't want to drive can ride with me in my wagon.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
OK- so, it is looking like I have no other weekend available so October 1 is the date- I'll be up doing the first scouting trip this weekend, then I'll need to go back to do official mileage measurements next weekend and then I'm working on the 17th and 24th.

So the next question is- who is going to be coming?- I'll update the first post in the thread and we can see who can make the commitment!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Car Info: Fast
Hey bud. I SHOULD be able to make it this year, assuming of course I am not committed to a fire that day.

I live IN Fortuna, and I agree it would be a great place to start. There are several hotels with more available 20 minutes away in Eureka. Plenty of good food with more close by. There is a delicious Brewery right next to the hotels as well

Assuming I can go I have space for several people at my house. 2 couches and floor space for those who dont mind sleeping bags and thermarests.

I will shoot you a PM with my phone number if you would like to talk about any routes you are proposing. I am currently in Socal so I cannot go along with you on any scouting missions at the moment, but feel free to ask about anything as far as logistics goes.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2008 AW FSXT
I'm in and already have the time off. Last year was a blast. Can I reserve one of your rally timers Pete?

Also as a feeler; if anybody wants to go, but doesn't want to drive I'd be happy to offer my car for you to sit in/ co-drive.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM

The route has been selected...

We'll be looking at about 157 miles, 3 TSD sections, each less than 10 miles long, 2 gravel sections, one about 27 miles, the other about 7, both have paved alternatives, so if you are running 18s or lowered you still have a way around...

And we have a few lodging options for Friday night.

Now I need people to let me know your plans- are you able to drive up Friday? most importantly if you cannot attend but I have you on the list, please let me know, and if you aren't on the list but want to be- also let me know.

PM's are OK but I'm probably going to be quicker to reply if you send me e-mail:

pete "at" northnevadarally.com
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
I'm still in as the date's been on the "family calendar" since the thread was started . Depending on how things shake out, I may want to grab some of aboothman's floor space rather than a hotel as I probably won't be getting into Fortuna until 11:00 or so on Friday night.

-Brian

P.S. Pete, do you happen to have my NNR 2011 t-shirt?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru

P.S. Pete, do you happen to have my NNR 2011 t-shirt?
not yet, but thanks for reminding me, I need to get a hold of Hoche...
Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by psoper
not yet, but thanks for reminding me, I need to get a hold of Hoche...
No problem. I'm going to be bugging you until I have on in my hot little hands :P

Mr. Carter unfortunately has previous commitments that weekend

-Brian
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I'm still interested in going on this trip, but I recently found out that cylinder 3 in my car only holds 115psi compression. As long as nothing goes wrong between now and then, I'll be coming along.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
Sent an email to Pete that I'm in - got my time off work Friday the 30th, so if anyone else wants to head up from my area or along my route, let me know. I've taken the route out across 20 to 101 & up, so anyone who wants to caravan up to Fortuna, let me know.

Also, is anyone else using skid plates? Is it recommended for this run? I don't have them yet, but I can get & install them if it's necessary.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

I've run this event many times and I've never had a skid plate. While it's a nice thing to have for any dirt drives, you should be fine. Pete always points us to very nice dirt roads and I don't expect this to be any different. If you're planning on getting a skid plate anyway you might as well get it prior to this event though.

-Brian
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Talking Recommendations for equipment & supplies for the weekend?

I have been looking for some more aggressive tires to fit on 17" wheels, since I'm currently running all-seasons. I found some recommendations for these General Altimax Arctics:

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which I'm not sure would be ideal in sand, loose gravel, or soft dirt, and which I don't really want to tear up on rocks, etc.

I haven't found a good used set of 17x8 wheels that are 5x100 posted locally on the classifieds, so I was thinking of getting these Sparco wheels to use with the winter/off-road tires:

Also, since I've been toying with the idea of getting skid plates, but hadn't previously had a legitimate excuse to use them, which skid plates would you guys recommend? I've seen some recommendations for the Primitive skids for front & the rear diff. I'm familiar with the obvious benefit of plates, as I've used them on my Jeep before, and am planning a new set into my current Jeep build.

As far as camping, has a camping location been chosen? Is it a "dry camping" location (primitive/no facilities) or what? I've got all the gear I need, and can bring as much fire wood as I can fit in my car. I can get as much free scrap wood as I want from work, but it would be good to know if we'll need it.

Since this will be my first time doing a TSD rally, I am sure I won't be particularly competitive, and I want to stay legal so as not to attract undue attention, nor risk damage to my vehicle. Is there any sort of equipment I should be aware of or need to bring to participate properly in this sort of drive?

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

RALIWGN, I've got a set of the General Altimax Arctics sitting in my garage on Forester XT wheels (Forester was totaled in August of last year ). They're great for snow and dirt and I would highly recommend them. I have two sets of wheels though and use them for winter wheels/tires. I wouldn't run them year round as you'll wear through the relatively soft compound rather quickly, but for the occasional dirt drive and winter duty they were great!

-Brian
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I wasn't planning on running them year-round. I already have a set of summer tires on a set of wheels I need to get fixed (due to out-of-round on 2 of them):

And I have my all-seasons on the new wheels I got to tide me over until I take the time to get my summer wheels fixed. Now, if I can just clear more space in my garage, it wouldn't hurt to have a set of snow/ice/dirt/gravel tires on a relatively inexpensive set of wheels waiting for the right weekends this winter. I had Dunlop Wintersport M3's before, and they were great, but I'm shooting for something cheaper now that has a nice aggressive tread, and it's always good to try out different tires when I have the opportunity.

Sorry to hear about the FXT - what'd you get to replace it?

- Aaron

Quick Reply: 9th Annual Redwood Rendezvous Road Rally Adventure Tour and Campout, yes it's been...