I want a 2005 Legacy GT, I think...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
I want a 2005 Legacy GT, I think...

Ok, I have figured out that my insurance won't go up if I:
1.) get a Legacy turbo GT (instead of a WRX)
2.) the car goes under insurance for my wife

I wanted a wrx, but I can surely settle for a turbo legacy. My questions are:
1.) only the 2005-up legacy gt's have a turbo correct?
2.) how much am I looking at paying for one, anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,
Cody
Old 08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Settle for a Legacy GT? Kid, if you buy one you'll be moving up in the world

Yeah, the 05+ GT has a turbo. 2.5L turbo, rated at 250hp and 250lb/ft of torque. I think its a great car, and there is great aftermarket support for the vehicle (if you so choose). To get a used 05, you are probably looking at $18k for the non-limited version and $22k for the limited version. FWIW, I think my estimates are a little on the high side at the moment. New, you can only buy the Limited models now, and they are closer to $30k (around $28k with a little haggling probably).
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
In some ways its going up and others its not. I have an 04' wrx and a 05'legacy gt and their both awsome cars. The wrx is more rugged and pulls harder while the legacy is more refined and the turbo spools smoothly and powerfully. It feels like the wrx has more boost but that might just be me. The legacy's can be modded nicely with a bigger turbo and an accessport thanks to the 2.5L engine. The legacy in my opinion is the grown up version of the wrx. Im suprised your insurance wont go up for the legacy because thier both turbo's and i believe they both recieved 5star crash test rating. Either way you will be very pleased, both are amazing cars.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, stock the Legacy only has a max of 13.5 psi of boost and the WRX has 14.5 I believe. With an AP on stage one, you get about 16 psi (maybe more at sea level).

The insurance will be lower on the Legacy due to less accidents. Its not seen as nearly as much of a hazard to insurance companies as the profile of the driver is slightly more mature and not as likely to total the car (which in a general since is probably true). And the Legacy was deemed THE safest mid-size sedan last year, so that helps put it over the top of the imprezas (even though it is also a safe 5-star rated vehicle).
Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 AM
VIP Member

what's funny is that if it's under my name on the insurance, it goes up $442.00/6months, but under my wife (she's only 18) it goes up ONLY $1.63/6months. Very strange but I hope its accurate since I checked that out a few times. I honestly think I'd rather have the GT since, it's got more ponies anyways, but I figured I'd have to pay more for it than a WRX. The 06 with a turbo is still a Limited GT correct?? I figured it'd be around 19K or so if I can get a steal of a deal.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

Yup. The 06 GT still has the turbo.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 Nissan Sentra Spec-V
Whats the difference in the motors between the wrx and legacy gt? The legacy is rated at 250, while the wrx is 230, yet the wrx has higher boost? They post almost identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but the legacy is heavier...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

The Legacy has a 2.5L with a VF40 turbo. Its slightly smaller then the STi turbo. The WRX on the other hand (until '06) had a 2.0l with a TD-04 turbo. In 06, the WRX got a 2.5L engine, but it kept the TD-04 turbo which is really better suited for a 2.0L motor. The extra displacement in the 2.5L WRX makes the turbo spool up very fast, but it also doesn't have the top end of the VF40 on the Legacy.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by nKoan
The Legacy has a 2.5L with a VF40 turbo. Its slightly smaller then the STi turbo. The WRX on the other hand (until '06) had a 2.0l with a TD-04 turbo. In 06, the WRX got a 2.5L engine, but it kept the TD-04 turbo which is really better suited for a 2.0L motor. The extra displacement in the 2.5L WRX makes the turbo spool up very fast, but it also doesn't have the top end of the VF40 on the Legacy.
legacy gt limited = the sex... i love mine, specially now that i have sti pinks in it for a bit more stiffness in corners.

the lgt is prone to 'studder' but a good tune can fix that. theres only a few minor annoyances in the car that are present in most subarus (dash rattles, seats not as comfortable as they could be)

you could pickup a fairly nice legacy off the classified on www.legacygt.com. people sell modded cars on there allot, depending on mileage and location itl probly be anywhere from 20k to 25k for a 05 gt limited.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:22 AM
MILF Hunter

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
One of the reasons I bought my Legacy GT was because the insurance was less than having a WRX, for me.

Now I have sooooo many more reasons why I am happier than I would have been if I got a WRX.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 Nissan Sentra Spec-V
Hey legasti, what are some of the reasons you think you're happier with your legacy than you'd be with a wrx? I was thinking of getting one next year, then I read a long term test article in road&track that said they had alot of problems with theirs, but now I'm thinking, it could be the fact that they drive it hard or it could be just that particular car. Have you had any problems with yours?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
MILF Hunter

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
Well for one thing its a hell of a lot more classier, way more comfortable interior. And comparing to an 05 wrx.... my 2.5L I was able to do the STi swap... intake man. VF39 STi intercooler. And well the car is bigger. Plus there is just that feeling you get driving this car. You get the best of both worlds, The power and the nice ride. And you don't see a thousand of them on the road either. Its great to look at inside and out. And its nice to fit 5 people comfortabley in the car without then feeling squished.

I have only had one minor problem with the car and I bought it Feb 20th, 2005. Something funky with the computer and passenger side seat belt... the chime would go off like there was actually someone sitting on the passenger seat when there really wasn't, so I had to drive around with the seatbelt latched over there until i got it fixed under warrenty. I have had no other problems.... I drive like a granny most of the time, but some times I feel like putting a lil spirit in a drive so i tear it up. No problems

I may be biased but I think it is the sexiest looking subaru since the GC8 model Imprezas
Old 12-16-2006, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Limited
I3eXa,

Did you end up getting a LGT?
Old 12-16-2006, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by legasti
I may be biased but I think it is the sexiest looking subaru since the GC8 model Imprezas
I agree with you on that one....I still haven't bought one yet thought...thinking about an 06 or 07 since it'd be 0.00% finance but an 05 might be cheaper...just want a GT under 20K w/ a sunroof...that's the only requirements.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Limited
You are going to have to get an 05 if you want the GT for under 20K.

There are several people selling thier LGTs over at Legacygt.com and legacygt.org.

Quick Reply: I want a 2005 Legacy GT, I think...