Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRC: Subaru might no longer be "Driven By What's Inside"..

Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by brucelee
FIA is lame... like, seriously, seriously lame. I hope they get hit by a missile.

LMAO! I was actually thinking the same thing! Except I used a suicide bomber in place of a missle.

-Ted
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM

I liked it when FIA overhauled the rules to Formula One, I'm kind a getting sick and tired when Ferrari's Michael Shumacher wins. It's already a given when he gets the pole during qualifying, 9 out 10 he will win on race day. So why bother. The only thing that can prevent from winning is the reliability factor, which Ferrari doesn't have a problem with. 6 Championship under his belt, the 7th already bagged with a couple of races left in the Formula One calendar for 05'. C'mon now, it gets boring. That's the reason FIA overhauled their rules, ratings and money from privately own teams that are not catching up to the likes of Ferrari, Williams BMW, McClaren Mercedez, Renault and BAR Honda. However, to change WRC rules.

Hmm. . . I understand FIA's position when they announce the changes. But it kinda blew me when they'd single out a manufacturer and has to totally redesign it's drivetrain layout. I guess that's their way of saying "a level playing field." However, I'm really interested on what kind of traverse engine Subaru coming up with (if one at all).

Last edited by imporacer; 10-08-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I too can no longer find that article on the wrc.com. I did quote the whole thing though. Maybe it leaked out too early and they removed it.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Alex: Its burried in there somewhere
http://origin.wrc.com/News.aspx?PO_I...lse&lang=en_GB
Old 10-09-2004, 05:01 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
This:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Alex: Its burried in there somewhere
http://origin.wrc.com/News.aspx?PO_I...lse&lang=en_GB
and this:.
Originally Posted by DLUX WRX
To attract more manufacturers into the World Rally Championship, president of FIA Max Mosley proposes new set of cost cutting rules. Here is an article from WRC.com about this...

[i]"Max Mosley, the president of the FIA - world motorsport's governing body - has put forward a proposal for new regulations for the World Rally Championship which he says will cut costs and could encourage new manufacturers to enter the sport..."i]

P.S. I had to edit this post, since I want it to be on the front page and since you are the first one to post about it, these are your news. I just wanted it too look better for the front page...
are saying the same thing.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:25 AM
VIP Member

EsoterikWRX- Yeah, I believe Alex was asking for the link, so I provided it. It wasn't supposed to be a new news article.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan Java black pearl
No body wants to see a cheap version of a ralley car! I want to see the high speed machine I will never be able to afford. Thats where all the new technology comes from. dont go backwards on us . If the other companies can't stand the heat they don't need to be in the WRC. This would suck to no ends.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan Java black pearl
Nothing Is Sacred!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 11:37 AM

Torque is not such a big deal for a race car. You can just gear it down and run more revs and get the same torque at the driveshaft. It's all about power. F1 cars only have about 300 lb-ft of torque. It's 900hp that makes them fly.
2.0l normally aspirated, should be over 300 hp if the rules are not very restrictive. They may well be faster in a straight line than WRC cars. Remember that WRC cars are EXTREMELY limited by the inlet restrictor.

*edit* just saw 250-270 hp in the article
That would suck. They will be slower than Group N.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 10-11-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 AM

I do think the new rules package is pathetic. They are trying to open it up to companies who only make crappy FWD normally aspirated econoboxes. It might be good for the WRC business, but the whole point of production-based racing is to let the race cars improve the road cars and vice versa.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
they should just make different levels / stages of rally racing no companies will have to break their own traditional designs
Old 10-13-2004, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

http://www.worldrallynews.com/artman...rticle_715.php

Looks like Super2000 might have just been the FIA scaring manufacturers. The FIA just voted today to keep a detuned version of WRCar regulations rather then switch to S2000 (only voted in principal, specific regulations still need to be worked out)

The FIA World Council has approved the principle of detuning World Rally Cars for the 2006 World Championship. Details will not be resolved until December, but the intention is to reduce costs and attract new manufacturers.

The likelihood is that much of the high technology that has sent car costs soaring will be banned, including hydraulically controlled differentials and the most sophisticated electronics.

Other changes include a reduction in stage distance from a maximum of 400 to 360 kilometres and a ban on flex-service.

A further rule change allows crews which retire on legs one or two to restart subsequent legs. The crew will be penalised five minutes on each stage missed, this to be added to the fastest time of the driver's priority group.

For the first time in its history, the FIA has granted rallying precedence over Formula 1: the calendar outlined two months ago will stand, while the latest changes to the Grand Prix schedule have been rejected.

© Copyright worldrallynews.com 2000-2004
Old 10-21-2004, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
this is really, really, really, really lame.

Although, there is one cool thing...
Gearboxes would likely be standard sequential units, and the use of exotic materials, such as titanium, ceramics, magnesium and composites would be banned unless they are already used on the original homologated production car.
This means some really advanced crap in our road cars - to be competive and still have a fan base they are really going to have to engineer some nice things, and have them on the road cars.

I dont know, i really, really hope they don't do this. I wish they'd bring back Group S.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:13 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Max Moseley. If he does what he does to WRC like he did F1, then WRC is gonna be sorta boring. I always watched those motor sport to see what kind of cool technology was gonna be in the cars in addition to the racing. Now it is gonna be a econo-motor sport with cost-cutting and banned technology. Pretty analogous to NASCAR if you ask me.

Tim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WRC: Subaru might no longer be "Driven By What's Inside"..