Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRC: Rally Mexico - First true gravel rally of the season

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
WRC: Rally Mexico - First true gravel rally of the season

Full Story from swrt.com

SWRT Summary

This afternoon Petter Solberg kick-started his campaign for the 2006 drivers’ title by finishing second on Rally Mexico and collecting his first championship points of the season. Solberg blazed through the final three stages of the rally and set the fastest time on the penultimate test, clearly demonstrating the rally winning potential of the new Subaru Impreza WRC2006. Chris Atkinson secured a double points finish for the team. The Australian started the Leg in tenth position, moved up three places in the first stage and maintained the position until the finish.

SWRT sporting director, Luis Moya

"We came here looking for victory but the way the rally ran we must be satisfied with the positions of both Petter and Chris. Petter did a very good job this weekend and eight points moves him a step closer to his championship goal. We are happy to see that the performance of the car on gravel is good. We should not forget that most of the championship is contested on this surface. After the disappointment on the first day, Chris used the rally to learn more about the conditions and we have been impressed by his pace and consistency."

Petter Solberg

"I am very, very happy with the result of this rally. Of course we set out to win but when that wasn't possible we kept pushing for second. I went flat out on Leg one to get a gap and it was unlucky to pick up the problem on the second day, but I tried hard to keep the time loss to a minimum. It was always going to be difficult to make up the time, but the car was very fast with everything working well. We showed that there is definitely more to come. It's good to finally get some points and now I want more. It will be close and I'm going to give it everything."

Chris Atkinson

"The rally has been pretty good for us. Of course it’s unfortunate that we hit the rock and then had the problem after that, otherwise I think we could have made the podium. We proved that the pace is right, it’s just unfortunate we weren’t able to translate it into a better result. It’s a tough sport. It’s some consolation that we got seventh overall and some useful points for me and for Subaru. We can take plenty of positives from this rally."

The Next Event

Less than five months after its last visit to the country, the WRC returns to Spain for the fourth round of the championship, Rallye de Catalunya. The first sealed surface event of the season takes place in the Tarragona region of southern Spain and is the quickest asphalt rally on the calendar. Run in the mountains around Salou, with a service park in the Port Aventura theme park, this is the closest that rallying gets to circuit racing, with wide, flowing stages, high-speed corners and smooth asphalt.

Catch the full story here from swrt.com
Attached Images