Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRC: Rally Catalunya Costa Daurada - Citroen makes history (again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
WRC: Rally Catalunya Costa Daurada - Citroen makes history (again)

Citroen motorsport boss Guy Frequelin has praised his team for clinching its third consecutive manufacturers' crown on this weekend's Movistar Rally Catalunya. The French outfit has been at the forefront of the World Rally Championship title for the past two years, but has really come of age in 2005 with a dominant campaign.

Lead driver Sebastien Loeb notched up 10 wins - including six consecutive victories - on his way to a second drivers' title, in what has proved to be a record-breaking season. The Frenchman's team-mate, Francois Duval, double champion Carlos Sainz, who replaced Duval for two rallies mid-season, and their co-drivers were also praised by Frequelin.

Although Citroen is one of the better-funded manufacturers' in the WRC, its success this year has been particularly notable for the fact that its Xsara WRC was developed less over the winter off-season than its rivals and struggled early in the season as a result.

The team had focused its development on a new car, based on the road-going C4 coupe, which was due to replace the Xsara WRC midway through this year. This plan was scrapped, however, and Citroen was able to re-focus its effort on a mid-season fightback that resulted in Loeb's record-breaking tally of wins.

"The manufacturers' title was always our principle objective," Frequelin said. "It's down to the whole team - not just Sebastien - and their hard work. It's hugely difficult to win any championship, let alone a third. After Mexico we had maybe some doubts, and it really hasn't been easy, but now we have done it. It's extra special to have won so many rallies in a season."

Loeb echoed Frequelin's praise, adding his thanks to tyre supplier Michelin, which has stolen an advantage over Italian rival Pirelli this year. "I'm so happy to have won the rally, and I'm really pleased to make it 10 rallies in one year," he said. "But the objective was always to win the manufacturers' title for Citroen and we've fulfilled it. This season has been so amazing. This weekend, with two Citroens on the podium and the title, is the climax of an unforgettable year. It has been the result of many circumstances: luck, a good car, good tyres."

Citroen is now taking a year out of the WRC as a works team, with Loeb set to head up a privately-run Citroen team with Xsara WRCs adapted to next year's low-cost rules, while the factory effort focuses on a return with the C4 in 2006.
Attached Images