Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

WRC: Gronholm ends Peugeot's drought

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
WRC: Gronholm ends Peugeot's drought

Gronholm ends Peugeot's drought
8 Aug, 13:00

(Taken from: http://www.worldrallynews.com/artman...icle_510.shtml)

Marcus Gronholm ended Peugeot's seventeen event victory drought today, when he won his home event for the fourth time. After his team-mate Harri Rovanpera went off while leading, the double world champion never looked like losing the lead, as long as the 307 stayed together.

This car has not been the most reliable machine out there this season but its pace was evident in the hands of all three drivers. With reliability and the new five-speed gearbox it will be in the hunt everywhere.

Team Director Corrado Provera summed up the importance of the win to the team. "We have exactly the feeling we had the first time with the 206 in 2000," he said. "It's like Sweden then - it's like a birth. It's our second most important win in recent years."

If the significance of the moment impacted on the winner it wasn't showing. "Good. It's not the best win here because the first and second were very good," he reasoned. "It was not easy because we had so many troubles but Markko Martin was not in the best form. It would have been different if Harri and the others had kept going."

more
Attached Thumbnails WRC: Gronholm ends Peugeot's drought-pteamfin1.jpg  
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Markko Martin found the going here much tougher than he expected, still feeling the effects of his major accident in Argentina. Given that he was not physically fit his second place was a fine reward which takes him to within a couple of points of Peter Solberg in the standings. "I'm surprised that we've managed to come second actually. It's a good result but victory is victory," said Martin as a crowd of about 10,000 Estonian fans cheered him in the falling rain. "It was hard work. I decided to go as quickly as I felt comfortable."

Citroen may have hoped for a better result but they struggled on the first leg with the set-up. Carlos Sainz' third was one place better than last year and the points score keeps them in a comfortable Manufacturers lead as the series moves into its second half. "I think it's a good result, the best we could have done with the problems at the beginning," said the Spaniard. "It's not easy in Finland and the car has never been 100%."

"It's good for me for the Championship, we've got 22 points in hand," confirmed Loeb at the finish. "The set-up wasn't ideal here and when it comes to driving the Finns are more used to the conditions."

Janne Tuohino did a fine job in the second nominated Ford though he was unable to repeat his first leg pace on the second and third days. Francois Duval, battled well on the last leg, going past Daniel Carlsson and Toni Gardemeister into seventh. After a disappointing mid-season Ford should be delighted to have all three cars in the top seven on the fastest event in the calendar.

Skoda put on a good show, getting all three cars to the finish, with Jani Paasonen and Toni Gardemeister sixth and eighth. "Really it's super," said the delighted Paasonen. "I'm very happy. My plan was to take points here and to be the fastest Skoda driver and it's gone very well. The car's given no trouble at all."

Kristian Sohlberg gave the Mitsubishi Lancer a good run until he went off, and Gilles Panizzi picked up points for the team, finishing 11th and beating Armin Schwarz. This was the penultimate event of the season for the Rugby based team which takes a long development sabbatical after the next round in Germany.

The Subaru drivers again proved that the Impreza has the required pace, but the team went away empty handed after both Petter Solberg - who had 'flu - and Mikko Hirvonen went off. Feeling a little better on the second and third legs Solberg entertained the crowds by winning the majority of the stages while Hirvonen restarted on just the last leg and took one quickest time. That was good for morale but the team would have hoped for much more. Subaru remains third in the manufactures standings, falling further behind Ford and Citroen and is only three points ahead of Peugeot. It hasn't been a good week for team owner David Richards. The star driver at his BAR GP team stunned everyone by announcing his defection to Williams. Then his World Champion and Finnish number two threw their rally cars off and out here. They were very quick as usual when they were on the road and Solberg remains second in the series - just.

Sebastien Loeb continues to hold a strong lead in the Drivers Championship on 66 points, 22 ahead of Solberg with Martin and Gronholm equal, two points behind. Citroen's Makes series total stands at 109, 26 points ahead of Ford with Subaru 19 adrift and Peugeot a further three points back

The Junior battle raged until the last stage, Per-Gunnar Andersson taking the honours in a fight which had been dominated by the Suzukis after early leader, Opel driver Kris Meeke had gone off. Renault driver Nicolas Bernardi salvaged third place for the French marque but was nearly three minutes behind the leading pair while another two Suzukis were next up.

"This is the best result of my career," enthused Andersson at the finish. "I felt quite comfortable before the last stage and I felt I could win but you are always worried about punctures. I have never driven faster."

Bernardi maintains his lead in the Junior Championship three points ahead of Per-Gunnar Andersson who jumps from fourth in the table. Kosti Katajamaki and Urmo Aava are tied for third five points back.

© Copyright worldrallynews.com 2000-2004