i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Interior, Exterior & Lighting (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/)
-   -   PIAA Bulbs or HID Kit? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/piaa-bulbs-hid-kit-2492/)

VOLTIS_5 12-09-2002 12:31 PM

PIAA Bulbs or HID Kit?

Can't decide on which to get. I've got $400 to spend and i could use some better lighting at night. Here my plan if i was gonna go with the PIAA's: Headlights- 9007 Super Plasma: features a Plasma Blue low beam and a Super White high beam (Wattage 60/55w = 135/125w
5000K low beam, 4200K high beam). Fog light- Super Plasma: This technology features a Super Plasma Beam (Wattage 55w = 85w, 5000K) for all these,IIRC, its about $150.

And if i was gonna go with the HID kit for the headlights its a RealHID (TM) 800 kelvin HID kit from Z1 for $350 shipped.

those are my choices, any suggestions?

Thanks ;)

HongKongBeef 12-09-2002 01:09 PM

Get real HID's. you'll never go back. trust me.

Silverscooby27 12-09-2002 02:50 PM

Well, you'll never go back until the first set blows up. (although I still did)

kenchan 12-09-2002 03:02 PM

im pretty happy with the factory headlight performance for night driving....it's pretty bright imo. you might want to change the
aim a little bit if it's not working for you.

i use PIAA superwhite lowbeam, wedges, and ion crystal on
fogs on my other car. it's a very clean light. imo, HID's aren't worth it unless it came with the car from the factory. i would
spend your $400 on other things like suspension
components (rear sway bar and endlinks, etc) to 'improve'
your car if you haven't already before doing things
on lighting..but that's just me. :D

but if you must, go with PIAA's. they work great and good enough for a mere $25K car. make sure you dont touch the
bulb during installation. mine's been working well for a good
year or so without problems, but hear stories of bulbs
blowing out in just a few weeks on some if you accidentally
touch the bulb.

goodluck!

VOLTIS_5 12-09-2002 11:30 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silverscooby27 [/i]
[B]Well, you'll never go back until the first set blows up. (although I still did) [/B][/QUOTE]

would you have to change the whole kit if that did happend?

thats the only thing thats keeping me back from getting the HID ($350 down the drain)...........ya know. as with the bulbs i can always go back and buy one with out costing me an arm.

nywrxtasy 12-10-2002 09:18 PM

Re: PIAA Bulbs or HID Kit?

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by VOLTIS_5 [/i]
[B]i was gonna go with the PIAA's: Headlights- 9007 Super Plasma
Fog light- Super Plasma: [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think they have 9007 Super Plasma's yet. Where did you see them? I do however have them(H-3) in my PIAA P-3000 fog/driving lights.

My lighting solution was as follows:

PIAA Xtreme white 9007's approx $65

PIAA H-3 ION Yellow in the factory fogs... $ see below

PIAA Xtreme H-3 white in the driving lamp and Plasma H-3 in the fog lamp (It comes with the Ion yellows that I swapped into the factory fogs. (The P-3000's are a dual light.) $269 for the P-3000's and $69 for the plasma bulbs

Here is a pic of the whole setup with the Plasma fogs on...

nywrxtasy 12-10-2002 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so you can see the difference between the Xtreme white and the plasma...

Plasma...

nywrxtasy 12-10-2002 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the Xtreme white...

VOLTIS_5 12-10-2002 11:28 PM

Re: Re: PIAA Bulbs or HID Kit?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nywrxtasy [/i]
[B]I don't think they have 9007 Super Plasma's yet. Where did you see them? [/B][/QUOTE]

i saw it at the website PIAA.com

WOW :eek: those plasmas are bright.

hokusai 12-10-2002 11:45 PM

i have an HID kit and i have to say that i will never go back to halogens. never! think about it. i ahve had my kit for about a year now and i have only gotten flashed once and it was by an old couple.

VOLTIS_5 12-11-2002 12:38 AM

well i guess it wont hurt to try HID and see how it goes.

Silverscooby27 12-11-2002 04:52 AM

I had to buy a new kit, because for the kit I originally bought, bulbs were not available separately. A word of warning: bulbs are probably going to be the achilles heal of the kit. I had both bulbs go bad on my first set of HIDs, and the manufacturers know this. The prices of bulbs are high, which is something to be aware of, and most manufacturers will not sell bulbs separately. An exception is McCulloch, but the bulbs are still rather pricey. I just installed the new set, so have no experience with them, but the customer service has been excellent so far. Check it out.

VOLTIS_5 12-11-2002 11:52 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silverscooby27 [/i]
[B]The prices of bulbs are high, which is something to be aware of, and most manufacturers will not sell bulbs separately.[/B][/QUOTE]

:eek: this is what im afraid of. so that means if my kit or bulbs gets fried i would have to buy a new set of each?

HongKongBeef 12-11-2002 12:29 PM

i've had my hid setup on for 6 months. and i bought them used (approx 6 months used.. buyer bought STi projectors so he sold his hid set). no problems at all. once u see the HID setup on your car as far as output.. you will be AMAZED. sure, i get high beamed and now none of my friends like driving in front of me.. but its all worth it. once you turn them on.. its like seeing the light to the gateways of heaven! i expected jesus himself to come down, extend his hands, and invite me up to heaven when i 1st turned my set on.

Silverscooby27 12-11-2002 03:25 PM

You don't have to buy a new kit, it depends who the manufacturer is. McCulloch sells bulbs separately, so if you needed a bulb, you could buy just 1 bulb. With the other kit I bought, however, this wasn't the case.

Everybody else is right about performance, though, you'll notice that I didn't give up pissed off, but bought another set.