i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Interior, Exterior & Lighting (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/)
-   -   Luxury & lighting.... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/luxury-lighting-10260/)

figowitz 02-22-2003 10:53 PM

Luxury & lighting....

Just picked up my car yesterday and it's taking some adjustment on my part. I was a bit spoiled with all the toys on my BMW that I'm losing when I return it (esp. on-board computer and hot seats.) Any suggestions on mods to fun up an interior? Any fancy Legacy parts transfer over (with some work of course) like on-board computer, auto climate control, or swapping out for leather seats w/ power/heat?

Anyone get any aftermarket alarms with auto start and window movement on key fob?

Also, what are my chances of changing the whole interior lighting to something other than green? Aren't JDMs in orange?

How about this daytime running light stuff. Can it be stopped? I don't like it... don't know why. Is there a fuse or a wire?

Lastly, I see soooo many of the tri lights to choose from ranging from $1500 for HIDs to $500... many different styles and manufacturers. I don't need the HIDs, anyone have some recommendations? I'd like something with comparable brightness to the stock beams & are they all legal for street use?

Sorry about all the questions. New car and all... Thanks for any help in advance.

Stepping Razor 02-23-2003 08:12 PM

anything can be done with the right money. I don't own a subie, but I'll bet european versions of subie lights are a good deal brighter than the US versions. If the Legacy has heated seats, you could always try and swap them in...all it takes with the heating is a little bit of wiring, which should be pretty easy. Also you might have to modify the seat brackets. Lighting, I would assume, could be changed. I'm sure there are some indiglow kits on the market...so if they can do it, so you could too. (I wouldn't do indiglo, but that's just me)

twistedsymphony 02-23-2003 10:20 PM

Re: Luxury & lighting....

OK here goes:

Seats:
you can get leather seats with logos and such on them, you can also get these with seat heaters and 6 point massage (yes seat massage) I think it's leatherseats.com that does the kit. usualy if you speak to your dealer they can out source a local place to do it for you, or if you up to doing it yourself and or saving some money look around some forums for people doing bulk orders (they look great too)

I.C.E.:
other interior goodies Ive seen is a 7.5 inch TFT screen mounted where the CD player is then a DVD player mounted where the OEM gauge pod goes. if you look on ebay or around some forums there are people who make the screen unit for you. (about $350 I think) then you can get a DVD unit and the pod space will fit a standard 1 Din unit. If you already have a gauge pod there you can go with an A-pillar pod and move your gauges there so you can put the DVD player in the center.

Headlights:
a few things you can do:
you can get a cheapo STi immatation headlight for about $150 on ebay (dont get this) JDM makes a really nice projector assembly for around $700 and it's an improvement over stock, then there are Morettes, these are drasticaly different looking lights and you'll either love them or hate them, they're also a projector assembly. There are a few other Tri-lamp headlight fixtures but asside from the JDM or Morette headlights I personaly haven't seen anything else worth getting.
another thing is you could mod the stock headlights. you could get JUN eyelids to give them a mean look. or you could "easy-bake" you're head lights to take them apart and remove that orange round thing and paint the crome edging black. This also look VERY sharp. I'm personaly going to do that mod on my head lights until I get around to buying a set of JDMs.

Daytime Running Lights:
[url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tcgmotorsports/drl.htm[/url]
go there for a "how to" on getting rid of them.
other light related mods include allowing the fog lights to be on with the high beams and or the parking lights (normal they shut off if you have either of those on) and making the orange side markers blink with your blinkers.
I dont have links to either of those but do a little searching ...

twistedsymphony 02-23-2003 10:26 PM

Almost forgot:
windows/ starter on the remote.
Alpines alarm system comes with a multi-function remote that can be programed to do just about anything...
you basicaly install the alarm then you can add a remote starter module and a window module etc. etc. I've seen just about anything electical in the car controled by one of these things. Head lights pneumatics, stereo...

I had one on my old jeep; worked as an alarm/door lock then i had it programed to start my car and turn on the stereo. I took it out when I sold the jeep so I'll be instaling it in my WRX at some point.

figowitz 02-23-2003 11:30 PM

so much too do... so little... money

Thanks for the tips. One more stoopid question to the mix. My stock side skirts... the ones in black... do they differ at all to the factory color matched ones? (other than the paint of course) Anyone else have a mind to say f*** it and throw paint on the stock ones rather than throwing down the $ for painted ones? Seems like the obvious choice since I haven't seen anything worth the $500 in the aftermarket world. I assume they'll need priming and such. Recomend painting the gasket-thingy too? Cheap Fuji bastards... couldn't spare another half gallon of paint for my skirts...

I've seen the convo's about the tri-lights elseware concerning the idea of RHD vs. LHD made lights... can't you just switch the headlight beams to the other side's housing? Maybe rotate it upside down for good measure? Or are these things made exactly for one side or the other?

I can't stop with the questions.... who's got a sedan roof rack? I know it's not a kewl rice mod, but I'm old, and practicality (is that a word?) rears its ugly head. Anyway, whats the way to go? Thule? Yakima? What's the shizzle? I'd prefer some Thule experiance if anyone has some, I've allready got the bike and ski pieces.

Blah blah blah, I shouldn't be alowed to post this late. I ramble on too much. Cut me off.

twistedsymphony 02-24-2003 06:21 AM

Re: so much too do... so little... money

I shouldn't answer your post having insluted the rex with the title of RICE.... I'll let it slide this time.

the side skirts are different than the stock painted ones. I think the only difference is the finish on the plastic, the painted ones are smooth while the other ones are rough. there are lots of people who take it to their local body shop and have them painted to match the rest of the car. (its popular to get the calipers done at the same time too) but personal I think by the time you pay some guy with an air brush you might as well have bought the skirts from the dealer. the prices I've seen some people listing is far below the cost of just having your dealer throw them on.

RHD vs LHD
just buy lights made of the US spec WRX and you'll not have to worry about this. This is more for the people who want to convert to an STi and import parts from europe and japan. You're going for luxury not forign replication...

I've seen a WRX sedan with a roof rack. dont know what brand oh where they got it, but I blew by it in the highways of vermont...
(he didn't have any other mods than the roof rack)