i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Interior, Exterior & Lighting (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/)
-   -   Clear Plastic Over Gauges (https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/clear-plastic-over-gauges-31414/)

SDScooby 09-13-2003 08:29 PM

Clear Plastic Over Gauges

Ok, I am so pissed. While cleaning my car I got some of the chemical cleaner I was using on the clear platic over the gauges, I didn't notice it until the next day, it dried on there and messed up the plastic, its all dull now and looks like crap. I am wondering does anyone know if I can purchase JUST the cover and not the whole gauge cluster? or is there anyway to fix it you think? How much is the cover(if avail)? How much is the whole gauge cluster?

Kuth678 09-14-2003 09:17 AM

Mine is kinda dull too. If anyone knows a way to clean it let me know. I was thinking of maybe using the Scratch remover that I use for the paint/clear coat on my car, ScratchX by meguiars.

redlin'r 09-14-2003 09:40 AM

Well this might sound odd, but you could try armor all. I have used it on my talon's gauge cluster and it works well! Let me know if that works

NaT NaTe 1 8 3 09-14-2003 05:47 PM

Armor All should work, depending on how deep the scratches are. The thing about Armor All is, you gotta buff the heck outta it to get it to look good. My suggestion is, clean it with glass cleaner, then use armor all. I did it on mine about a month ago and it looks a lot better...

EvoHunter 09-15-2003 07:19 AM

i dont think he scratched the cover i think he meant he got some chemical cleaner on it , so not sure if armor all will help much

Seraph 09-15-2003 10:56 AM

wait, you mean the plastic lens in front of the gauge? If you have the patience, goto your local auto supplies store and see if they have meguire's clear plastic cleaner and clear plastic polish. I think that if you are a real neat freak, you should remove the plastic piece from the dash, and just set aside half an hour or so and buff out whatever got on it.

Unless it messed up the shape of the plastic via burns or whatnot, you should be able to buff it off just like using polish on your clearcoat.

barosborough 09-15-2003 11:05 AM

meguire's clear plastic cleaner works wonders!

SDScooby 09-15-2003 05:57 PM

Yea, at first I thought the problem was just the chemical cleaner dried on there and I couldnt get it off, so I took the pastic out and tried to wash it in the sink w/ some mild dish soap, that didnt work so I put it back in, I tried the aromor all thing, it actually looks alot better. But the next time I clean it with some windex it will take the armor all off and look bad again, then I will have to reaply the armor all... I don't wanna have to do this everytime I clean the interior of my car.... So I'm trying to locate a new plastic cover... in the mean time I'm gonna try to find that plastic polish stuff your talking about...
Thanks guys/girls