i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.i-club.com/forums/how-tos-installations-192/)
-   -   Can I register and drive in California a Canada-Registered JDM 93 WRX (https://www.i-club.com/forums/how-tos-installations-192/can-i-register-drive-california-canada-registered-jdm-93-wrx-240701/)

matzinm2 04-07-2012 12:18 PM

Can I register and drive in California a Canada-Registered JDM 93 WRX

Hey guys,

So I was wondering if any of you with JDM cars know how easy (or difficult) it is to get a 93 WRX from Canada registered and legal here in the states. I hear that it's easy to do if you get a letter from the car manufacturer saying it is up to US specs. But I don't even know if it is up to safety specs/emissions, etc. Are the GC8 and GM6 chassis alike (in terms of safety)? What about emissions? Can I register is as an "historical vehicle" or something? How about insurance?

Thanks guys, I could use all the help I can get!!

Blazingbuda40 04-07-2012 01:57 PM

not sure about registering or anything but if its legal in canada and you have it registered at someones house your can drive it down here, but ive heard that if you get pulled over and they find that your avoiding the states registration buy doing that you can get in some trouble( not positive on that)

faraco3 04-07-2012 03:32 PM

Get the Vin number and go to your local DMV. With that they will tell you yes or no and what you need to do. You might also need to take the car to a CHP office and have the Vin checked there too.

faraco3 04-07-2012 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=Blazingbuda40;3230368]not sure about registering or anything but if its legal in canada and you have it registered at someones house your can drive it down here, but ive heard that if you get pulled over and they find that your avoiding the states registration buy doing that you can get in some trouble( not positive on that)[/QUOTE]

You will get cited for 4000(a)(1) VC.

Alliedforces86 04-07-2012 05:49 PM

I thought about doing this awhile ago since Canada can import jdm cars. But DMV is still going to ask if it has a 50 state legal sticker, since it doesn't they're for sure going to tell you it needs to go to a ref/bar station to be looked at and made ca smog legal. Not to mention the CA/Fed safety features that are required that jdm vehicles don't have. Bottom line is you're going to jump through the same hoops legalizing it from Canada as you would bringing it straight from Japan. It's a Grey market vehicle, and they're a pain in the a$$..

matzinm2 04-07-2012 06:52 PM

Damn, ouch, well maybe I will just sell my car and go for a GM6 then. Thanks guys!

DabiDa 04-08-2012 02:07 AM

I allways wondered about registering a car in another state that does not have all the rules CA has then bring it to Ca..The only reason i was thinking is because cars are brought into CA from other states that have damage such as hail,flood etc and when you Register it it will give the car a clean title.I belive they call it ''Title Washing"" from what i understand.Also sometimes if you buy a car from another state ie oregon,etc that has less or no taxes as long as the car is reg for xxx amount of time you dont pay the high CA taxes..Just a few things ive heard about.

Mulder 04-08-2012 02:46 AM

You can't bring it into the US legally until it is at least 25 years old. There are no Subarus currently on the NHTSA's approved list of vehicles that can be legally imported and federalized to US specs.