Hawaii Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

Wst: Yakima roof racks w/ bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Originally Posted by TVA
Willing to part out the copperhead bike rack? How much?
You dont want a copperhead, they suck, so does the boa, raptor, and any yakima bike attachment.

I've used them all.

If you actually use your bike and arent just a hipster...

Thule sidearm is the best, it fits any bike without taking the wheel off. Holds very tightly, quicker and easier to use than anything else. It will fit on thule or yakima load bars.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Car Info: o3 FamWag
Originally Posted by spinplay01
You dont want a copperhead, they suck, so does the boa, raptor, and any yakima bike attachment.

I've used them all.

If you actually use your bike and arent just a hipster...

Thule sidearm is the best, it fits any bike without taking the wheel off. Holds very tightly, quicker and easier to use than anything else. It will fit on thule or yakima load bars.
Yakima Sucks? Well to each his own. I have used both (thule/yakima) as well, but ended up using The yakima High Roller (look it up no wheel removal as well, snug and secure) for both my DH and 4x Hard Tail Bikes with no problems, even with my buddy going from vegas to whistler still no problem. Use what you feel and roll with it.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:14 PM

yakima raptor works great! drove through these winds the last couple of days with no problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Originally Posted by popozuda7
Yakima Sucks? Well to each his own. I have used both (thule/yakima) as well, but ended up using The yakima High Roller (look it up no wheel removal as well, snug and secure) for both my DH and 4x Hard Tail Bikes with no problems, even with my buddy going from vegas to whistler still no problem. Use what you feel and roll with it.
The raptor doesnt fit a lot of bikes, takes a while to screw tight and scratches your downtube. So to me, it is automatically out of the running for a good bike attachment.

The high roller takes a minute to secure a bike. You have to sit and turn that screw. It holds pretty good, but the way I drive I feel better with my wheel being held downward from the top, not just pinched at the bottom. If you pick up a thorn and you tire deflates after it is mounted...your bike WILL EASILY fall out of the high roller (it will be loose in the sidearm, but still cant fall out)

Sidearm is quickest and easiest to use while it holds as well or better.

I used to manage the bike shop at Sunrift Adventures in SC, (we sold more Yakima racks and more boats than anyone in the southeast) I was in charge of the Racks. The Yakima rep saw a saris rack on my car (which I actually liked more than the Yakima because it was way easier to switch between vehicles). He gave me a full yakima setup with all attachments that I wanted. I had one of almost everything they made.

My friend had a Yakima towers and bars with the Thule Sidearm. It was quicker and easier to use, while holding the bike more securely.

When I bought a rack here in Hawaii, I purchased two Sidearm attachments.

Yakima spends a lot of money advertising. That is why most people prefer Yakima.

Take Bose for example, They make ok speakers, but they arent better than any of their competitors. However, most people think that they are something amazing because of their advertising.

Take the names off of the products and actually compare quality and functionality.

I currently own a Specialized Enduro, Giant Glory, Mongoose Nugget, Fisher Fat Possum, Scott Voltage, Woodman Elite, and a gay Peugeot road bike for drunkend bar hopping. My favorite bike is my mongoose...worst name out there. But if you compare it to a the same type of bike made by transition, santa cruz, or specialized. It is just as nice for way less money.