i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/)
-   -   trunk swap???? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/trunk-swap-74422/)

dis_local_guy 09-29-2004 11:27 AM

trunk swap????

looking for a perfect condition 03'-04' silver wrx wing & trunk. i want to trade for my 04' sti wing & trunk (in perfect condition) & $150.00....

sykosis 09-29-2004 11:59 AM

Oi! post in classifieds :p

hangbot 09-29-2004 01:04 PM

sweet!

JeebS 09-29-2004 01:58 PM

make sure you both trade trunk hidges when you swap.

sykosis 09-29-2004 01:59 PM

and locks :)

funkdrmr 09-29-2004 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=JeebS]make sure you both trade trunk hidges when you swap.[/QUOTE]

Why the hinges? When I did mine, we just had to disconnect the 4 bolts from the hinges that held the trunk on, and left the hinges in place.

I can see why you'd want to swap the springs, though.

keirnna 09-29-2004 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=funkdrmr]Why the hinges? When I did mine, we just had to disconnect the 4 bolts from the hinges that held the trunk on, and left the hinges in place.

I can see why you'd want to swap the springs, though.[/QUOTE]

Because the hinges are beefed up so they can lift the trunk with a large wing on it. With a normal wing it launches the trunk up like a rocket, and then the WRX that just got the STi trunk with the heavy wing will be unable to open the trunk like it should. That is why you would swap everything.

funkdrmr 09-29-2004 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=keirnna]Because the hinges are beefed up so they can lift the trunk with a large wing on it. With a normal wing it launches the trunk up like a rocket, and then the WRX that just got the STi trunk with the heavy wing will be unable to open the trunk like it should. That is why you would swap everything.[/QUOTE]

Wish I wasn't on duty & could actually go look at my car. Are you sure the hinges are different? I know the springs are, which would cause the hinges to act differently. By describing them as "beefed up", are you saying they are physically larger?

I swapped over around 8 months ago, so it's been a while since I've really looked. I could've sworn that the only difference in the mounting hardware was the springs, and it was just too much of a pain for us to swap in a hurry that morning. You are correct in how the trunks will act with the different wing. I'd just hate to see someone put all the effort into changing all the hardware, when only the springs were needed.

bpang1 09-29-2004 04:14 PM

YOU HAVE A POST in your classified post :)

HEY...wouldn't the '02 trunk fit too?

keirnna 09-29-2004 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=funkdrmr]Wish I wasn't on duty & could actually go look at my car. Are you sure the hinges are different? I know the springs are, which would cause the hinges to act differently. By describing them as "beefed up", are you saying they are physically larger?

I swapped over around 8 months ago, so it's been a while since I've really looked. I could've sworn that the only difference in the mounting hardware was the springs, and it was just too much of a pain for us to swap in a hurry that morning. You are correct in how the trunks will act with the different wing. I'd just hate to see someone put all the effort into changing all the hardware, when only the springs were needed.[/QUOTE]

You may be right that it is just the springs, either way whenever you wap trunks just make sure that everything works corectly. I thought that there was more than just the springs that were different, but I would have to look at a STi and a WRX side by side to be sure.

sykosis 09-29-2004 04:50 PM

Hinges are the same, springs are not.

[QUOTE=bpang1]YOU HAVE A POST in your classified post :)

HEY...wouldn't the '02 trunk fit too?[/QUOTE]

Yep! But a 2 year old trunk *may* be faded enough that you could see a difference. A garaged car is a different story but it's up to I-thug :)

bpang1 09-29-2004 06:04 PM

That's a good point...I guess we'd have to put it on and see. HELL MAN...call my cell phone and we can try it out tonight!

PM Sent

Blake
384-4566

funkdrmr 09-29-2004 06:18 PM

To confirm. The '02 trunk will fit perfectly.

Maybe compare all this trunk stuff at the meat?? :D

bpang1 09-29-2004 06:24 PM

Will be there... but wouldn't mind driving to you tonight after I wash car, install the lip that Brandy gave me and switch my BOV to 100% atmospheric for fun and giggles.