Meet Leilani Munter, Indy/NASCAR, "Race To Save the Planet" - Nov 15-17, 2008!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Meet Leilani Munter, Indy/NASCAR, "Race To Save the Planet" - Nov 15-17, 2008!

Indy/NASCAR Driver, Environmentalist
Leilani Munter
To Speak at State Capitol

For Immediate Release:
November 1, 2008

doug.lamerson@gmail.com
(808)398-7293

Leilani Munter, one of only four women to race in the Indy Pro Series and a veteran NASCAR driver will return to her mother’s home state to present a free public talk Monday, November 17 on her campaign to raise environmental awareness within America’s #1 spectator sport and beyond.

Her Race To Save The Planet presentation is scheduled for 6:30-9 p.m. at the Hawai ‘i State Capitol Auditorium and free and open to the public.

Leilani has been racing stock cars (NASCAR) since 2001 and Indy-type cars since 2007. In 2006 she set the record for highest finish by a female driver at Texas Motor Speedway. She routinely races at speeds in excess of 180 mph. She has also performed film stunt work and served as a photo double for Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Leilani holds a degree in Biology from U.C. San Diego, blogs for the green section of the Huffington Post and lobbies on Capitol Hill on global warming issues. She purchases an acre of rainforest for each race she enters to offset her carbon footprint, and campaigns tirelessly to call attention to the perilous state of the planet. Her eco-web site, Carbon Free Girl, was established to promote environmentally sustainable alternatives to the U.S. racing community which numbers some 100 million fans

Because she is also an avid SCUBA diver, the impact of climate change on coral reefs in Hawai’i and the world will be a subject of her talk along with the personal story of her eco-mission in racing. Her talk will be preceeded by a video presentation documenting her racing career and eco-efforts. The event will also include refreshments and door prizes.

Leilani will also be making the following appearances prior to her Capitol speech:

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9-11 am
“Race to Save the Planet” Firestone Complete Auto Care
98-141 A Kamehameha Highway, ‘Aiea HI 96701
informal presentation, autograph and photo session, door prizes, refreshments, free and open to the public

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2-4 pm
“Race to Save the Planet” Checker Auto Parts
4561 A Salt Lake Blvd Honolulu HI 96818
informal presentation, autograph and photo session, door prizes, refreshments, free and open to the public

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:30 am-1:30 pm
“Race to Save the Planet” SCUBA Dive
2-tank dive to Mahi Shipwreck and Makaha Caverns, autograph and photo session, environmental gift
To book this dive, call Deep Ecology at 808 637-7946 $135

Leilani was born and raised in Minnesota. Her mother (Doris Morinoue) is a nurse from Holualoa on the Kona coast. Her father is a neurologist from Germany. They met while working at the Hawaii State Hospital in Kane’ohe. Leilani has family on both O’ahu and the Big Island. Fun fact: Leilani’s brother-in-law is Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir.

For advance press interviews or media coverage of the event, please contact Doug Lamerson at (808) 398-7293 or via email at doug.lamerson@gmail.com

Leilani Slide Show: http://leilanimunter.com/EcoDreamNeverKnow.html
(music by Jack Johnson)

Note: High-resolution press photos are available on request.

About the Conservation Council for Hawai'i
www.conservehi.org

The Conservation Council for Hawai'i (CCH) is dedicated to protecting native Hawaiian plants, animals, and ecosystems for future generations. In 1950 during the Pacific Science Conference in Honolulu, a group of leading scientists discussed the need for an organization in Hawai’i with a scientific base to help formulate policy and inform decision-making to protect Hawaiian natural resources. As a result of that discussion, the Conservation Council for Hawai‘i was formed.

Today, CCH is one of the largest wildlife organizations in Hawai‘i with over 5,000 members who work to protect our unique natural heritage. CCH is 501(c)(3) organization. Through education, service, policy-making, and advocacy, CCH works with scientists, government agencies, elected officials, and community organizations to stop the destruction of wildlife and wild places in Hawai’i. Hawai‘i faces increasing pressure on its natural resources. The onslaught of invasive species, global warming, inadequate funding for conservation, and public indifference are taking a greater toll on our unique environment than ever before.

Events sponsored by Conservation Council for Hawai’i and Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council, Firestone Complete Auto Care, Checker Auto Parts, Deep Ecology, and State Senator Gary Hooser.