09/14/2008 Aloha United Way Charity Cruise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Sorry I won't be able to make it. I appreciate what Ted, Walter, Simon and everyone else who had a part in donating or putting together this cruise for a good cause. Way to make us stand out for good things! It is a shame that there is such animosity from a few people that bring this stuff down.

do i hear troll status for a fews of the members?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
I've never done that to anyone and I don't want to start...doesn't mean I won't do it.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Sorry I won't be able to make it. I appreciate what Ted, Walter, Simon and everyone else who had a part in donating or putting together this cruise for a good cause. Way to make us stand out for good things! It is a shame that there is such animosity from a few people that bring this stuff down.

Hey Joey,

Thank you for setting the record straight. I will not further comment on what has already been said. And I want to ask everyone to respect the integrity of this thread. Please refrain from any more inflamatory comments that may cause some ill feelings towards each other. Let us concentrate on the real reason why we are doing this cruise. To raise funds for the Aloha United Way and start helping our communities and helping needy kids and families.

We do not take any personal or monetary gains nor recognition by organizing this event...we do not seek them either. You come and attend this cruise and have fun, meet the cool guys here, and WIN some very cool prizes from the individuals and businesses who are supporting HIIC. Bring your families and friends and hang out with us and have fun!!!

Thank you for your anticipated support and cooperation.

Ted
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
^^^ What are you talking about!! Im in it to become infamous .. j/k
Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 808subaru
Ted, you guys still need a tent?
hey Chris,
Well, the forecast for Sunday is Sunshine, but it's been raining for the past 2 days so could you just bring one just in case? Thanks!

This is a Rain or Shine Cruise, btw...
Old 09-12-2008, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub81
^^^ What are you talking about!! Im in it to become infamous .. j/k

you already are...i like your humility!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
hey Chris,
Well, the forecast for Sunday is Sunshine, but it's been raining for the past 2 days so could you just bring one just in case? Thanks!

This is a Rain or Shine Cruise, btw...
Roger that, sir. I will bring the tent. PM me anything else i can do!!
And i couldn't agree more with you!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
wow what the hell happened here???

anyways. Ted we will give out the certificates to the 100. and all weather mats since we all have different types of subys also i just found out i can only go from the meet spot to my work stop.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by shaggadelic
anyways. Ted we will give out the certificates to the 100. and all weather mats since we all have different types of subys also i just found out i can only go from the meet spot to my work stop.
guess next time we'll have to make the servco stop the LAST stop...ROFL!!! eh ****.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
Hey Joey,

Thank you for setting the record straight. I will not further comment on what has already been said. And I want to ask everyone to respect the integrity of this thread. Please refrain from any more inflamatory comments that may cause some ill feelings towards each other. Let us concentrate on the real reason why we are doing this cruise. To raise funds for the Aloha United Way and start helping our communities and helping needy kids and families.
Kinda Sad. There's a time and a place for jokes, comments, or remarks. Just didn't really think this thread was one of them. I don't know what to say......just gotta shake my head.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Are you guys ready for the cruise tomorrow?

-Please print the directions if you are not familiar with the route. To cut some out of pocket expenses, we will not be giving out route directions like we did last year.
Please go to page 10, post#137 for the pdf map link (thanks, Burt).

-Make sure you have enough gas. The route is approximately 85 miles.

-We are asking a minimum donation of $10 to Aloha United Way. For every $10 that you donate, you will be given a raffle ticket for the lucky pot drawings. The more you give the more chances of winning the cool prizes. Please fill out the forms and you will be given a receipt from AUW. Proceed to the “registration desk” as soon as you come in.
Hint: The first 15 registrants will automatically get a goodie bag from Vakamon.

-If you are coming in early for the Pre-cruise Swap Meet Sale please set up “shop” as early as you please. We will be there as early as 0730.

-Don’t forget the camera and camcorders! I know we have a handful of professional photographers here, so make sure that your batteries are fully charged!

Again, we are looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. Come out and have a fun day with everyone and feel good about yourself, for being a part of a very good cause.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
If someone could read this in my place that would be great...if not please all read the following:

HIIC Members I want to thank you all in advance for doing this great event and for continuing to do it for Aloha United Way even though I am no longer in HI.

The work of Aloha United Way is extremely important especially in our current economy.

The most important thing I want you all to understand is that we at United Way work towards solving the underlying problems in our community that cause people to have to use social/government services as well as government aid. By looking at this we understand that we must focus on building blocks such as Education, Income and Health which are the tools that every person needs to live the life that they want to live.

By looking at these building blocks we have come to realize that some of the basic-underlying reasons why we continue to have people stuck in the cycle of poverty, are really things that we can solve. One example is getting our children ready for school. Over 90% of human brain development occurs between the ages of 0-5. These are the same years that most children are not receiving instruction by trained professionals (teachers). We have come to realize that 40% of children IN HAWAII entering kindergarten are 1-2 years behind...the problem is that most of these kids will never catch up. They will either drop out or graduate without the skills they need to get a good job (which puts them right back in the cycle). Did you all know that one of the measurements used to figure out how many prison/jail beds are needed in a city/state is the 3rd grade reading tests? It's scary but also shows you how important early learning is.

At UWs across the nation we use programs such as Born Learning (http://www.bornlearning.org/default.aspx?id=33) which helps to educate parents, grandparents and caregivers on what they need to do to ensure that their child is ready for school. Through programs such as this, over 2,400 children in Hawaii received quality childcare to prepare for kindergarten.

This is just one of the many examples of what AUW is doing the community. I ask that all of you understand a little more not just for your own knowledge but also so that you can be an advocate of making lasting change in our community. The main point for us is that we no longer just treat the symptoms of our community's problems...we figure out how to cure the disease.

For instance, in the past, someone would call us because they are about to be evicted and we would give them emergency rent assistance. Instead of that we continue to help with the intial need (the check) but we also sit down with them and figure out what is going on to put them in this situation and what they can do to get themselves out. Many times we help them to get into an industry that is more lucrative such as healthcare or we help them to figure out how to use their money better. One great thing that we do is to help people do their taxes to get the Earned Income Tax Credit...this has helped us to get a large amount of money back into our communities and we sit down and help the recipients figure out exactly how to use it to better their long-term situation.

In this economy everyone knows that oil prices have affected everything else. We also know that there were many people that were just getting by before this who now have to decide whether they will use their money to pay for gas/bus to go to work OR for food to put on their childrens' plates. As such, many children have their last good meal of the week on Friday at School and their next good meal is on Monday at School. I hope this illustrates why this year it is even more critical that we get your help.

For more information about any of this and about all the other ways your local UW is working to solve the problems in our community please go to the website www.auw.org . Please join me in "Living United" by giving a donation, advocating for lasting change and volunteering in your community.

Blake Pang

P.S. Action Girl is preggo's and is due May 3rd...word to all your mothers.

Last edited by bpang1; 09-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by bpang1
If someone could read this in my place that would be great...if not please all read the following:

HIIC Members I want to thank you all in advance for doing this great event and for continuing to do it for Aloha United Way even though I am no longer in HI.

The work of Aloha United Way is extremely important especially in our current economy.

The most important thing I want you all to understand is that we at United Way work towards solving the underlying problems in our community that cause people to have to use social/government services as well as government aid. By looking at this we understand that we must focus on building blocks such as Education, Income and Health which are the tools that every person needs to live the life that they want to live.

By looking at these building blocks we have come to realize that some of the basic-underlying reasons why we continue to have people stuck in the cycle of poverty, are really things that we can solve. One example is getting our children ready for school. Over 90% of human brain development occurs between the ages of 0-5. These are the same years that most children are not receiving instruction by trained professionals (teachers). We have come to realize that 40% of children IN HAWAII entering kindergarten are 1-2 years behind...the problem is that most of these kids will never catch up. They will either drop out or graduate without the skills they need to get a good job (which puts them right back in the cycle). Did you all know that one of the measurements used to figure out how many prison/jail beds are needed in a city/state is the 3rd grade reading tests? It's scary but also shows you how important early learning is.

At UWs across the nation we use programs such as Born Learning (http://www.bornlearning.org/default.aspx?id=33) which helps to educate parents, grandparents and caregivers on what they need to do to ensure that their child is ready for school. Through programs such as this, over 2,400 children in Hawaii received quality childcare to prepare for kindergarten.

This is just one of the many examples of what AUW is doing the community. I ask that all of you understand a little more not just for your own knowledge but also so that you can be an advocate of making lasting change in our community. The main point for us is that we no longer just treat the symptoms of our community's problems...we figure out how to cure the disease.

For instance, in the past, someone would call us because they are about to be evicted and we would give them emergency rent assistance. Instead of that we continue to help with the intial need (the check) but we also sit down with them and figure out what is going on to put them in this situation and what they can do to get themselves out. Many times we help them to get into an industry that is more lucrative such as healthcare or we help them to figure out how to use their money better. One great thing that we do is to help people do their taxes to get the Earned Income Tax Credit...this has helped us to get a large amount of money back into our communities and we sit down and help the recipients figure out exactly how to use it to better their long-term situation.

In this economy everyone knows that oil prices have affected everything else. We also know that there were many people that were just getting by before this who now have to decide whether they will use their money to pay for gas/bus to go to work OR for food to put on their childrens' plates. As such, many children have their last good meal of the week on Friday at School and their next good meal is on Monday at School. I hope this illustrates why this year it is even more critical that we get your help.

For more information about any of this and about all the other ways your local UW is working to solve the problems in our community please go to the website www.auw.org . Please join me in "Living United" by giving a donation, advocating for lasting change and volunteering in your community.

Blake Pang

P.S. Action Girl is preggo's and is due May 3rd...word to all your mothers.

Damn Blake nice little write up and congratulations!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
yeah blake congrats my wifey is expecting as well in the end of march!!! yay another member of my already big tribe!! lol.............and yeah guys and girls lets get it on!!!!!!!!! the cruise that is!!! this is gonna be sooooo much fun!!!........wow fun and helping out a great cause.......cant beat that!! see yo all tomorrow morning!!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT
Hey Walt!

Sorry I missed ya yesterday. I thought you were going to swing by to pick up the AUW contribution.

Please give me a call to meet up soon so I can hand it over.

Sorry bro.. I wish I could join you guys, but my heart is with y'all!

Have a great cruise!

Be Safe.

Quick Reply: 09/14/2008 Aloha United Way Charity Cruise.