i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   General Tech / How To's / Installations (https://www.i-club.com/forums/general-tech-how-tos-installations-215/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/general-tech-how-tos-installations-215/what-would-you-do-228887/)

Imprezard 02-25-2011 02:11 PM

What would you do?

So there is a rumor going around that I am trading in my car. I am torn between a base, premium, limited WRX and an STi. I am pretty damn indecisive, and I am going to stick with this car for the long haul so I don't want to make any mistakes.

My situation.

I live in the Bay Area, but I go to school in AZ and most likely will have my car next year with my own garage. I will be back in the bay for winter break and summer with my car. But what trim/model should I get, and I mean realistically. In the end I will decide for myself but any extra thoughts can help. I am already starting to rule out the STi because of the insurance and I am still 19, technically a junior in college. I have a while until I hit that age of 25. But I could be better off in the long run because I know I am going to drop insomething like a blouch dom 3xtr again(maybe).
I mean I can care less for the sun roof or the GPS the premiums and limiteds have(optional) but I love the thought of having heated seats that and HIDs come stock on the limited, but not desperate for leather seats. :/ I am caught in a pickle.

The numbers (sticker price)

WRX Base: 25,495
Difference: 2,500
WRX Premium: 27,995
Difference: 1,000
WRX Limited: 28,995
Difference: 5,000
WRX STi: 33,995

Decisions, Decisions...Any feedback other than get "get an STi" would be greatly appreciated. Also do you guys think I can get the out the door price down to about sticker price? I have never gone into the dealer to do this kind of stuff. I usually let my dad handle all of the dealer stuff.
:tia:

fizay 02-25-2011 02:21 PM

are you dead set on an impreza?

JourdanWithaU 02-25-2011 02:22 PM

To be honest I would go for the STi. I am a sucker for leather (I know you aren't but I am) and I was originally set on the WRX Limited because it was the only one that had legit leather and not the swede combo interior that the STi has. But after thinking about it, the STi is a much better platform for mods. To me the performance differences between the WRX and STi weren't a factor to me because I figured I would mod both so much. But after taking a closer look and hearing others regret getting the WRX over the STi I have realized that although the STi is super expensive, it truly is the best.

Imprezard 02-25-2011 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=fizay;3031273]are you dead set on an impreza?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am pretty much on the train for the 2011 imprezas.

Imprezard 02-25-2011 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=JourdanWithaU;3031274]To be honest I would go for the STi. I am a sucker for leather (I know you aren't but I am) and I was originally set on the WRX Limited because it was the only one that had legit leather and not the swede combo interior that the STi has. But after thinking about it, the STi is a much better platform for mods. To me the performance differences between the WRX and STi weren't a factor to me because I figured I would mod both so much. But after taking a closer look and hearing others regret getting the WRX over the STi I have realized that although the STi is super expensive, it truly is the best.[/QUOTE]

^^^This...It is what I read so much these days. And people like Vim who have engine trouble twice already, running a modest tune on a dom 3xtr. And then our transmission comes into question.
Haha you and the leather man. I should get the limited and swap interiors with you because I don't mind the cloth seats.
I was thinking if I got a WRX I would keep it easy and get a 68HTA and play it safe. But again like I said this is for a long haul, and I will be paying a pretty price to insure a STi which is what's really holding me back apart from the price tag itself.

SJwrx08 02-25-2011 03:01 PM

If the STi is already ruled out, and you don't want or care about the leather and GPS, and fog lights get the base model. I have heated seats, and I never use them. Whatever car you choose, you will mod it tastefully as shown by your 2008 base now. The STi would be a good choice you get the 6 speed, DCCD, and other goodies but insurance will own you since you are 19 and insurance is already alot.

IMO, if you get the WRX base theres 2 grand in savings, don't buy a premium or limited if you're not really gonna care about the extras. Heated seats sound good now, but you'll soon forget about them. And who buys a WRX or STi for the interior anyways. Either way, you'll be getting a 2011 and my guess is it won't be stock for long. So either way, you'll be driving a beast. Get a base model and you'll be just as happy. And you save some money. And thats if the STi is ruled out.

ryansti 02-25-2011 03:02 PM

I'd get the STI just based off the resale value down the road.

SJwrx08 02-25-2011 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=JourdanWithaU;3031274]To be honest I would go for the STi. I am a sucker for leather (I know you aren't but I am) and I was originally set on the WRX Limited because it was the only one that had legit leather and not the swede combo interior that the STi has. But after thinking about it, the STi is a much better platform for mods. To me the performance differences between the WRX and STi weren't a factor to me because I figured I would mod both so much. But after taking a closer look and hearing others regret getting the WRX over the STi I have realized that although the STi is super expensive, it truly is the best.[/QUOTE]

How'd you end up in a 2.5i?

Heedz 02-25-2011 03:05 PM

Get a legacy gt limited
About the same price and you get a 6 speed :)
Less than an STi and cheaper insurance too.

JourdanWithaU 02-25-2011 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=SJwrx08;3031302]How'd you end up in a 2.5i?[/QUOTE]

lol I did the Cash for Clunkers deal, one of the requirements was that the new car must get an EPA estimated average of 22MPG or higher. The WRX and the STi get 21 :( and it's gold because it was the last hatch in the south bay area. So far though, everything has been going better than expected so no real complaints. But once it is paid off and my record is a bit cleaner, I'm getting a STi. :D

SJwrx08 02-25-2011 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=JourdanWithaU;3031314]lol I did the Cash for Clunkers deal, one of the requirements was that the new car must get an EPA estimated average of 22MPG or higher. The WRX and the STi get 21 :( and it's gold because it was the last hatch in the south bay area. So far though, everything has been going better than expected so no real complaints. But once it is paid off and my record is a bit cleaner, I'm getting a STi. :D[/QUOTE]

Ahhh the cash for clunkers deal! Nonetheless, you're in a Subaru. Let the pursuit of a turbo begin!

Imprezard 02-25-2011 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=SJwrx08;3031299]If the STi is already ruled out, and you don't want or care about the leather and GPS, and fog lights get the base model. I have heated seats, and I never use them. Whatever car you choose, you will mod it tastefully as shown by your 2008 base now. The STi would be a good choice you get the 6 speed, DCCD, and other goodies but insurance will own you since you are 19 and insurance is already alot.

IMO, if you get the WRX base theres 2 grand in savings, don't buy a premium or limited if you're not really gonna care about the extras. Heated seats sound good now, but you'll soon forget about them. And who buys a WRX or STi for the interior anyways. Either way, you'll be getting a 2011 and my guess is it won't be stock for long. So either way, you'll be driving a beast. Get a base model and you'll be just as happy. And you save some money. And thats if the STi is ruled out.[/QUOTE]

Well there is only leather in the STi for the STi limited. GPS is optional on all cars. Ryan makes a good point about the resale value. See I use chair heaters all the time in any car that has them. I would need fogs but that isn't really pertinent. Yeah I mean if I have this car for a while, a good 6 years I will be paying elevated insurance. That's true, that is 2-3k that can go back into modding my car. Haha yeah once I break it in, I am going straight to stage 2. I really wish I could make a base wrx with heated seats. :D haha and thanks tito, hopefully I can make it just as tasteful! Sooo...I don't care about the premium, that is ruled out. So now it is the Base, Limited or the STi. :/

Thanks for your help guys so far!

[QUOTE=Heedz;3031304]Get a legacy gt limited
About the same price and you get a 6 speed :)
Less than an STi and cheaper insurance too.[/QUOTE]

I never thought about a LGT. Except it weighs like an extra 500 lbs. It will be cheaper thats for sure but it's not aggressive enough haha :)

AlanNgo7 02-27-2011 02:17 AM

I'm going to the guy that just says... "get the STi"

Overall. Most wrx and converted into a STi lol
IMO (:

Imprezard 02-27-2011 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=AlanNgo7;3032297]I'm going to the guy that just says... "get the STi"

Overall. Most wrx and converted into a STi lol
IMO (:[/QUOTE]

Look at that, we got a funny guy here haha

You are absolutely right though, in the end I will probably be half the way to fully converting the WRX to an STi, kind of like my situation now haha :ohwell:

But if I am going to consider the STi I am going to have to poke around into the Evo X as well.

ScoobySon 02-27-2011 11:14 AM

You obviously just want the wide body, stop beating around the bush.

Do not get another WRX, get the STI.

Dual AVCS, tranny, diffs, 114x5, and so on....

Your wrong about insurance and being 25 years old. That relationship and discounting is over. Currently, most insurance companies use a formula with your age in their somewhere...no more 25 year old threshold and suddenly insurance drops. I am 26...when I turned 25, nothing changed with what I pay. Even called to ***** out it...no difference, lol.

Better questions....

How much are you upside down in your loan?
Have you gone to the stealership and asked what they would give you?, MySubaru.com estimated buy-back is bull$hit, be careful.
You know the EJ255 is horrible in terms or reliability vs. the EJ257, right?
You know the WRX is basically a "two-legger," right? E-LSD or traction control whatever you call it...

It just seems you want to save $$$ in some unimportant non-performance aspects, and then use that saved $$$ for power, when a two-legger with little brakes is not going to cut it.

The only benefit I see with your build is straight line performance. Sorry for being candid...