i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   General Tech / How To's / Installations (https://www.i-club.com/forums/general-tech-how-tos-installations-215/)
-   -   2008+ GR STI Transmission and Diff Fluid Change (https://www.i-club.com/forums/general-tech-how-tos-installations-215/2008-gr-sti-transmission-diff-fluid-change-261039/)

Funks 08-19-2014 10:15 PM

2008+ GR STI Transmission and Diff Fluid Change

3 Attachment(s)
Concise Instructions

[b]Special Tools:[/b]

[quote]
T70 Torx Socket (1/2" Drive)
10MM Allen Socket (1/2" Drive)
Fluid Transfer Pump (eq. [b]Motive Products PowerFill[/b])
Torque Wrench
Breaker Bar (1/2" Drive)
1/2" Drive Extension
22mm DEEP Socket (1/2" Drive)
Jackstands
Jack
[/quote]

[b]Types of Fluid:[/b]

[quote]
[b]6 Liters of Motul Gear 300 (should be enough for Trans and Diff w/ extra)[/b]
or
[b]6 Quarts of Subaru Extra-S (should be enough for Trans and Diff w/ extra)[/b]
or
[b]5 Quarts of AMSOIL MTG (Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90) for the Trans, and 1 Quart of AMSOIL SVG (Severe Gear 75W-90 or 75W-110) for the Diff[/b][/quote]

[ATTACH]100677[/ATTACH]

[b]TRANS[/b]

1) Unbolt 10MM Allen from the Trans oil pan
2) Unbolt the Fill Hole From the driver side of the Trans (will help evacuate the fluids faster)
3) Unbolt the T70 Torx on the clutch housing side side (let more oil drain out)
4) Clean Bolt, then re-attach the 10MM Allen Bolt on the transmission pan (torque to 36.9 FT/LBS)
5) Clean Bolt, then re-attach the T70 Torx bolt on the clutch side (51.6 FT/LBS)
6) Fill 4.3 Quarts of Transmission Fluid on the FILL HOLE (until it starts to dribble on the side)
7) Clean Bolt, then re-attach the bolt to the fill hole (36.9 FT/LBS)
8) Take the car out for a drive around the block or two
9) Unplug the Fill Hole (check level) - and add a bit more as needed.

[ATTACH]100678[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]100679[/ATTACH]

[b]REAR DIFF[/b]

1) Disconnect Oil Temp Switch Connector
2) Unbolt Drain Plug
3) Unbolt Fill Plug (22 mm deep socket, don't detach the temp switch)

[b]Note: remove the temp switch and plug as ONE UNIT, do not remove the temp switch then try to remove the fill plug - means you gotta use a DEEP socket. It's fragile and very expensive to replace[/b]

4) Let fluid fully drain
5) Bolt up Drain Plug (Torque to 44.3 FT/LBS)

[b]Note: apply thread sealant on drain plug to avoid potential leaks, I used JOMAR SEAL W.O.G. Plus (means Water - Oil - Gas) which I let dry for about 45 minutes before re-attaching.[/b]

6) Fill with fluid (1.1 Quart)
7) Bolt up Fill Plug w/ Temp Switch (Torque to 44.3 FT/LBS) then and Re-Plug the Oil Temp Switch Connector
9) Unplug the Oil Temp Switch Connector, Unplug the Fill Hole, Check Level (check level), and add a bit more as needed.

Funks 08-19-2014 10:20 PM

^placeholder for extra notes.

basel1 02-28-2016 07:29 AM

hello,

you say:

9) Unplug the Oil Temp Switch Connector, Unplug the Fill Hole, Check Level (check level), and add a bit more as needed.

when you re check the level, you check immediately when this is still hot ? or you expect everything to be cold

trapper 07-18-2018 12:04 AM

Know what size the hex cap is?

Anyone happen to know what size the hex cap is up top? Underneath the passenger side of the tmic?
Subaru doing shady **** by not having a dipstick there. About to Change out my transmission fluid and would like to take that off. Would like a dipstick there.. maybe one could be fabricated to fit where that hex cap screws in? Would like to know the hex size though before starting the process if possible.

brandobot 08-13-2018 03:51 PM

Anyone kind enough to post part numbers for the drain plug washers?

When putting on the sealant, are you putting this on the threads, or at the flat part of the plug that contacts the diff?

03flat4 01-12-2019 03:10 PM

diff drain plug connector

following this guide, everything went well....until I got to the rear diff connector that plugs into the temp sensor. I can't get it off. Any advice on where I need to pinch or whatever to get it off the sensor? thanks!