i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/)
-   -   Cold air intakes and up pipe (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/cold-air-intakes-up-pipe-25530/)

Maverick7 07-15-2003 11:18 PM

Cold air intakes and up pipe

Hey all,

I'm planning on getting a cold air intake system and upgrading the uppipe for my 03 wrx sedan, but I don't know which brand I should get. For intakes I've been looking at injen, aem, and perrin and I've had one parts store tell me that aem is better and another say that injen is better. For the up pipe I've been looking at the perrin and hks pipes. Which of these is better? I really have no knowledge of them as of now. Thanks for any help you can give me. :-)

LB2.5rs 07-16-2003 05:11 AM

Cobb. That's the brand people really like for their cars. I have a forum thats actually about aem, injen, and cobb. It's askin about which is the best to get, and i put a few problems you might experience with each.

Maverick7 07-16-2003 06:35 AM

Thanks lb, so the cobb intake is supposed to be the highest performance intake? I read your other thread (the one where you ended up talking to a guy from ohio) and I didn't see where you listed some problems of the other intakes (maybe I was looking at the wrong thread). So with whatever intake I buy, I should disconnect the battery for a little bit before using it, right? Also, how does this effect my warranty, I still have quite a bit of time left for it and I don't want to do anything that will void it.

Also, does anyone know about the up pipe brands?

Thanks...

LB2.5rs 07-16-2003 10:22 AM

Ya, you read the wrong one. I think the thread is like the 2nd from the bottom. Its: Aem, Injen,and cobb weakness. It only has one weakness with each though. Injen, and Cobb are probally your best bet, since they deal with alot of subaru's. What impressed me about cobb was how they had a page just talking about the difference between the MAF, and MAP for the subaru's. You don't really need to disconnect the battery, unless you know something i dont know. If you disconnect the battery, then your car will have to start learning again. But maybe that could be a good thing. I'm sure either Ban Suvs, or AWD ownz u could anwser that. As for the warranty, i dont know if it will void the warranty. I'm sure it probally would on a subaru since the dealers are pretty quick to say it was driver abuse, because of mods. I hope that helps a little bit.

AWD OWNZ U 07-16-2003 02:55 PM

One, you have a WRX, don't waste your money on an intake. Two, you are in the wrong forum. You want factory turbo, it's the one above this. Unless you have a cool dealer, any engine mods will void a good deal of your warranty. Disconnecting your battery is recommended.

JC

Maverick7 07-16-2003 06:08 PM

At this time I want to do intake and up pipe. Then shortly after I'm going to have a whole exhaust system done by my friend's uncle who owns an exhaust shop that does work on a wrx that races in australia. Then after that I'm going to do boost controller, turbo, etc... and intercooler somewhere in there.

What would you suggest?

Kevin M 07-16-2003 10:15 PM

Boost controller will void the wearranty on your engine and probably transmission too. Subaru is well within their legal rights on that one. An intake is also grounds for denying certain claims. Getting a full turbo-back system will help you make power, but if you don't have the original cats in place, the dealer cannot work on your car.

AWD OWNZ U 07-16-2003 11:08 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Maverick7 [/i]
[B]What would you suggest? [/B][/QUOTE]

Honest opinion? Vishnu Sub-Zero and suspension mods. The WRX is really pretty quick stock and if you are worried about your warranty, I wouldn't really touch the motor. Maybe spend the money on track days and/or driving school. Suspension mods and more time with your car will give you much more pleasure than extra hp IMHO.

JC

Maverick7 07-16-2003 11:54 PM

Yeah, but I'm staying away from suspension or wheel mods right now because I live on a dirt road that turns into a ravine during the wet months. The reason I say 'right now' is becase I plan on moving in the near future.

I talked to someone in the parts department at a Subaru dealership and he said that if I buy a part that is sold by Subaru, then it will not void the warranty. So that means I get to choose between the AEM and Perrin intakes and between HKS and Perrin up pipes. Those products are sold at [url]www.subaruparts.com.[/url] No one has really talked about up pipes, but out of those brands of intakes which do you think I should go with?

AWD OWNZ U 07-17-2003 10:16 AM

It's still gonna void your warranty. He meant you can buy things by SPT or sold through a dealer. Subaruparts.com sells aftermarket parts too.