i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/)
-   -   burning smell (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/burning-smell-43118/)

melawson 12-30-2003 12:12 AM

burning smell

Hi all - long time reader; first time poster to this forum. I've got a '99 2.5RS with about 95000kms (I'm in Canada), or approx. 51000miles. Lately I've noticed a distinct burning odour coming from the engine after having driven for awhile. Smells like oil to me, but none of my fluid levels are dropping (certainly not noticeably anyway). I understand that the DOHC engines have had head gasket issues; does my SOHC 2.5 have the similar potential for problems? I don't want to take this to the dealer without some further ideas as to what may be causing this stink. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

1 Lucky Texan 12-30-2003 07:48 AM

Based only on what I've read the SOHC has a less chance (1:8) than the phase 1 engine for HG failure, and when they do fail it tends to be an external coolant leak. You said it smells like oil. Coolant often smells sweet, carmel-like.

Look around the usual places for oil seepage. Look on the exhaust for a spot where oil might be dripping. Also consider that a CV boot could've split and thrown grease onto the exhaust.

good luck

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Frink 12-30-2003 04:34 PM

Changed the oil recently? Its possible some oil may have just spilled somewhere. Otherwise I would just look for visible gasket leaks or dark oily spots that is left in your parking spots.

DoomE.Q. 12-31-2003 01:47 AM

A good visual inspection will go a long way. Check the whole exhaust syatem and you will find what is causing your odor...

-DE

meilers 12-31-2003 09:10 AM

I just dealt with this problem with the 2.5l in my Legacy Wagon... It was indeed an engine gasket (the one around the cams) and it did give out at 36,000 miles :rolleyes:

It was positioned right above the exhaust and was dripping on it, causing the burning smell. $685 to repair (I had him do the timing chain while he was in there)...

DoomE.Q. 12-31-2003 01:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by meilers [/i]
[B]I just dealt with this problem with the 2.5l in my Legacy Wagon... It was indeed an engine gasket (the one around the cams) and it did give out at 36,000 miles :rolleyes:

It was positioned right above the exhaust and was dripping on it, causing the burning smell. $685 to repair (I had him do the timing chain while he was in there)... [/B][/QUOTE]

:eek::eek:

:( thats not good...

-DE

dgknight 12-31-2003 05:20 PM

'the one around the cams' is proabbly a cam seal

Its a good idea to do these cam seals and the front main seal when the timing belt is done anyway, but some places skip them.

$700 does not sound too bad for a timing belt job with new seals. Hopefully they did the water pump too while in there...

The head gasket is another thing completely, and will require the affected cylinder head to be removed from the block. This is likely a $700 job on its own.

Incidentally my '94 2.2l H4 has a burning smell too at 70k miles. I have been under the car and its definately coming out from the timing belt cover, sliding back along the engine and down onto the exhaust. This for sure is a cam seal or front main seal problem, not unexpected for a 10 year old car at this mileage.

A small amount of oil smells a lot on a hot exhaust, so its not necessarily a huge problem. I'd be more concerned at the timing belt getting contaminated and jumping a tooth. The 2.2l SOHC is a non-interference design, don't know about the 2.5l SOHC.

If its the head gasket your worries are more serious for getting it fixed quickly but there should be other signs - loss of coolant, milky looking oil, noticeable sweet smelling steam out of the exhaust when warm, and finally a loss of compression.

I'd get a compression check done at another garage or do it myself (the tool is like $50 max) before letting anyone pull the head from my car :).

melawson 01-02-2004 02:32 PM

thanks to all

Thanks gentlemen - I'll look into all of your suggestions and see if I can't get this thing figured out!

All the best to you all in the new year...

melawson 05-11-2004 04:46 PM

Burning smell fixed...

Back in January I posted a question, re: burning smell, but no visible oil leak. It ended up being the crank seal, and fortunately it was still covered by warranty! Thanks again for the replies.