i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/)
-   -   Burning oil smell....help! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/burning-oil-smell-help-103806/)

WRC1 06-28-2005 01:45 PM

Burning oil smell....help!

Im burning oil (not in the combustion chamber but oil is dripping onto the hot exhaust and/or engine block. Every time I stop or park in my garage it smells like burning oil. Im not sure were its coming from, the oil pan is pretty clean, i just did valve cover gaskets and spark plug O-rings, what else can it be? The oil looks is manly dripping off the cross member onto my swaybar then dripping onto the exhaust.

Is it a leaky separator plate? Is there anyway to make sure it is the separator plate before I drop the tranny and realize thats not the problem? If it is the separator plate is there anything else i should do while i have the tranny off?

~Leor

revit 06-28-2005 02:20 PM

I had a similar problem

turned out to be the seal on the oil pump needed replaced

might check into that

WRC1 06-28-2005 02:57 PM

were is the oil pump located?

~Leor

cudaeh 06-28-2005 07:37 PM

I am not to sure where the oil pump is on these cars . I would guess that it is a crank shaft seal eather on the front or back side of the engine.

WRC1 06-29-2005 12:43 AM

^^^Im starting to think its a rear crank seal too. I am not looking forward to that work.

~Leor

cudaeh 06-29-2005 04:14 AM

[QUOTE=WRC1]^^^Im starting to think its a rear crank seal too. I am not looking forward to that work.

~Leor[/QUOTE]
yeah thats alot of tare down. Just take your time and no matter what you do DON'T pry agenst the outter sealing surface!!!. My friend decided the best way to get his old seal out was to weasle a screwdriver between the outside sealing surface and the seal and pry it out.. by the time he was done he mangled the surface so bad that when he got the new one in it leaked out from around the seal to block seem worse than it ever did from the crank to seal.

WRC1 06-29-2005 02:13 PM

good this you told me, i would probably do it that way to. Any uggestions on how to change it? Or even better a write up?

~Leor

cudaeh 06-29-2005 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=WRC1]good this you told me, i would probably do it that way to. Any uggestions on how to change it? Or even better a write up?

~Leor[/QUOTE]
The best way i ever saw to pull out a seal is to take a sheet metal screw and screw it into the seal between the crank seal and block seal . not in far enough to damnage any thing behind it but enough to get a good bite into the seal, then pull on the sheet metal screw with a set of pliers or vice grips.. as much as you may want to dont use the output shaft or block to pry agenst. I have used this to remove seals in the past and it works out well, especialy with transmission seals sence they are mostly metal.
I dont know how the engine seals are held in this will work if they are a press fit but most likley wont if they are captive.

WRC1 06-29-2005 09:07 PM

Sounds simple enough, thanks again.

~Leor