Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

1997 subaru impreza outback sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 1997 subaru impreza outback sport 2.2L 4 cylinder
Talking 1997 subaru impreza outback sport

Hey people, I have a 97 subaru impreza outback sport. It's been a rebuild project with my father for the past 3 years. I bought it recked in the front and since then I have bought all the parts to fix it. I am adding aftermarket mods as I go but I still don't know what engine I have.It's a 2.2L 4 cylinder i already know but what kind??? Where do you find that info??

I bought a duraflex front bumper cover for it, a set of 4 door side skirts, and some aftermarket konig rims 17". I want to get a rear bumper cover yet, A cold air intake, halo projector headlights and taillights probably in black instead of chrome.

I have (2) 4" fart canons as people call them that I'm putting on the car for straight dual exhaust.

Any onther mods you think I should look into is greatly appreciated and maybe some sites where I can find these parts. Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally Posted by subaruguy
Hey people, I have a 97 subaru impreza outback sport. It's been a rebuild project with my father for the past 3 years. I bought it recked in the front and since then I have bought all the parts to fix it. I am adding aftermarket mods as I go but I still don't know what engine I have.It's a 2.2L 4 cylinder i already know but what kind??? Where do you find that info??

I bought a duraflex front bumper cover for it, a set of 4 door side skirts, and some aftermarket konig rims 17". I want to get a rear bumper cover yet, A cold air intake, halo projector headlights and taillights probably in black instead of chrome.

I have (2) 4" fart canons as people call them that I'm putting on the car for straight dual exhaust.

Any other mods you think I should look into is greatly appreciated and maybe some sites where I can find these parts. Thanks
Sweet, another outback sport owner over here, i like. The first thing you need to do is find out what ej22 you have. to do this, you need to look under your hood at your V.I.N plate. It should have an engine type section, for example mine says EJ251...etc. Yours will probably read EJ22 something. If that doesn't work, you can go to wikipedia, they have a list of the EJ series engines and what model years and cars they were used in.

As for your tails, if they are chrome, they are not stock, a lot of people take the stockers and black them out, paint the turn indicators red, etc. However, if your looking at chrome tails, they are aftermarket. Cool to have, but make sure they wired them up right.

The dual exhaust really isn't necessary as our motors don't need that much flow, but if you want to do it, go for it. Many people will call it ricey, but its your car not theirs, so don't let it get to you. Even in its beat up and incomplete state, would love to see some pics, i am espically curious as to what rims you got and how they look. As with all rims, make sure the offset is appropriate, your looking somewhere in the +35(?) to +47 range. If the offset is too low, you'll get rubbing, and potentially, tear up your wheel bearings. I'm not absolutly sure on the low offest limit, seems a bit low, but its in the general area, a little research will correct that, as can a more experienced wheel guy chiming in here.

Power is hard to come buy, even in ej25's, let alone 22's, so a really good place to start is suspension. A rear strut bar would work wonders, as the wagons tend to be less stiff in that area. Also, consider bigger sways and a front strut bar, cannot have too much rigidity in a car, espically if you ever plan to rallyx, or autox it (which obs's are known to be very good at). Of course, lowering springs and struts, or if you really want to spend the green, coilovers. Always remember to use camber bolts when you mod wagon suspension, most of the springs and struts out there are for the sedans/or coupes, which have shorter struts and therefore tend to set your camber out of alignment.

As far as power goes, if your staying n/a, cai, headers, catback, lightweight crank pulleys (not underdriven, thats all bad juju), lightweight flywheel, and a few others are a good place to start. The lightweight flywheels have been known to throw cel's if they are too light, or if the motor has forged and lightweight internals along with the flywheel, it sometimes throws a cel as well. That is not constant though, some cars don't throw them, some do. When you want to get into the real power, and money, you go forged internals, camshafts, and a stand alone EMU, injectors, and the like. I could keep going on and on, but i think i've given you enough info for the time being.

Just remember, n/a power is very expensive but may not get you the gains you want, with fuel change and tune, etc, you can hit 200crank hp easy with supporting mods, but the current record holder for n/a power in a subie is the zzxyzx(or something like that) motor sports impreza, its putting down 300 hp n/a, but has had a massive amount of work done to it

Last edited by dlgonsalves; 09-10-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza Outback Sport
Ohh yes, the sites to find some toys.

boxer4racing.com has a huge amount of performance stuff for ya

delta cams has been doing subaru regrinds for years, they have grinds from the mild 1000 to the just plain wild 2000, and they can do custom grinds for ya as well, they are based in washington, and you can send your cams in to get reground, they will even send you spare cores to use while your cams are getting reground, and their turnaround time is like 2 days. The grinds are cheap, like 60 or 70 bucks a cam, and they have a very, very good record for reliability and longevity.

Finally, rs25.com. This is a forum specifically for gc and gf's(your chassis) Links, how to's, and a rediculous number of other things all await you there.