i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/)
-   -   KnN Air filter panel on a 06 wrx tr (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/knn-air-filter-panel-06-wrx-tr-135642/)

lburrrna 05-23-2006 11:37 PM

KnN Air filter panel on a 06 wrx tr

Would it be OK to use an KNN or Fram Air hog panel filter on a 06 wrx? would it affect it like the one of those aftermarket CAI? i know the cobb is the only one i can use with no gain power.

Wingless Wonder 05-29-2006 10:21 AM

Replacements for the factory panel filter that fits the factory airbox will work fine. Just follow the instructions carefully when you clean and re-oil any re-useable filter element.

K&N panel filters are a fairly popular mod. Some folks claim a slight power increase with the replacement filter panels. I like the fact that you can re-use the K&N instead of creating more landfill. Factor in the cost of the cleaning solvent and K&N oil, though. I'm too lazy to clean and re-oil these filters. I've done it before and it's a messy job. The MAF in my car's intake tract hasn't any oily film from overzealous oiling of K&N.

The factory panel filter is paper treated with a special oil to catch and suspend the dust particles off the surface, preventing clogging of the filter medium itself. The factory filter cannot be cleaned - solvent or re-oiling will destroy the filtering properties. Replace it periodically according to the supplemental maintenance schedule that came with your Owner's Manual (or sooner).

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size]

lburrrna 05-29-2006 01:46 PM

cool, thanks

Surfin3591 05-29-2006 08:52 PM

If you are interested, I just had a personal experience with a K&N Drop-in filter on my
'06 Rex. It was absolutely awful for my car. My car began to idle roughly and when the A/C was on, the car would almost stall and have to jump up 700 rpms to prevent it. My check engine light came on too, I read the code; P0171 (system running lean). The car was overall just not as smooth and responsive. You'd think that a simple air filter couldn't possibly do all of this. I just put my stock filter back in, and the check engine light immediately disappeared, the car idles great with full blast A/C, and the powerband is smooth once again. I only ran my car with the filter for 150 miles and im glad that is all I did (only 975 miles on the car now.) I would highly advise you look around more on the forums before installing this filter. My 2 cents. :)

NW OBS 05-29-2006 10:25 PM

K&n!!!

[QUOTE=Surfin3591]If you are interested, I just had a personal experience with a K&N Drop-in filter on my
'06 Rex. It was absolutely awful for my car. My car began to idle roughly and when the A/C was on, the car would almost stall and have to jump up 700 rpms to prevent it. My check engine light came on too, I read the code; P0171 (system running lean). The car was overall just not as smooth and responsive. You'd think that a simple air filter couldn't possibly do all of this. I just put my stock filter back in, and the check engine light immediately disappeared, the car idles great with full blast A/C, and the powerband is smooth once again. I only ran my car with the filter for 150 miles and im glad that is all I did (only 975 miles on the car now.) I would highly advise you look around more on the forums before installing this filter. My 2 cents. :)[/QUOTE]

Ace. You must be the ONLY person on here with that. Something is up. Do you know enough to reset your ECU after every mod? How? Unplug the negative side of your batttery terminal. Pump the brakes a couple of times. Replug the neg cable. Let idle for 5 minutes ~ then hammer it on your favorite road for a few minutes. Your done.

If you still get all this, you got issues. And it's not K&N. I have run K&N in every vehicle I have had since the 70's (from Porsche to Rover). A-1 product ~ .02 cents is what that was worth ~ sorry.

lburrrna 05-30-2006 01:00 PM

really? u had ur engine check light on? i have had that problem wen i used it, feels like the car just didnt run right so i took it off (I put back the stock filter). but i never had an engine check light on wen i had the KNN panel filter on my 06 wrx.

RBMike 06-02-2006 02:02 PM

[url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136429[/url]