i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/)
-   -   clunking coming from the front end (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/clunking-coming-front-end-234568/)

151sti 09-02-2011 04:59 PM

clunking coming from the front end

hey guys, i have a 2006 sti i just bought a few days ago (my first subaru). when im turning out of a parking space or slow speed tight cornering slightly accelerating, it makes a clunking sound and almost feels like the diffs are locking up? is this normal? anything else to be concerned about? im new to the subaru world please help!!

ej20_wagn 09-02-2011 06:03 PM

Maybe cv axle? Had some what of a similar noise while turning a while ago on my wagon

FW Motorsports 09-02-2011 09:03 PM

Check your tire sizes...the circumference of all the tires need to be the same.
Or your center diff is ****ed up.

151sti 09-02-2011 09:37 PM

my front 2 tires are almost smoked and my rear have some life left, should i just replace all of them and start new? could that be a factor?

meilers 09-02-2011 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=151sti;3127284]hey guys, i have a 2006 sti i just bought a few days ago (my first subaru). when im turning out of a parking space or slow speed tight cornering slightly accelerating, it makes a clunking sound and almost feels like the diffs are locking up? is this normal? anything else to be concerned about? im new to the subaru world please help!![/QUOTE]

Bushing in one of your front control arms. You have to replace the whole arm, the bushing gets destroyed if you try to press it out.

PSBeachBum 09-03-2011 02:21 AM

if not the control arm bushings check your suspension. Make sure there is something either between your springs and any other metal. I know a gasket on my ksports went on me and wiggled out and i had the same low speed noises. I just pushed it back in and tightened up the spring a bit and BAM silence

151sti 09-03-2011 08:03 AM

awesome ill be taking it to a friends shop next week to go through the whole car thank you guys for the help!! i was starting to worry me

JooseyJeff 10-22-2011 08:05 PM

I'm reviving this thread. I had the exact same clunking noise as OP on my passenger side front. I thought it might be the spring not set properly. I just replaced everything with some Stance coilovers. I still have the clunking noise. I thought it might be a ball joint. There is no play in the wheel. I am positive that all of the bolts are tight on the coilovers, and nothing seems to be loose anywhere on the sway bars.

WTF THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

JooseyJeff 10-23-2011 10:30 PM

Nevermind I think I found it. It's a bad lower control arm bushing

Update: yes it was the lower control arm bushing in the front, rear position. It's now fixed, and I'm happy