i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/)
-   -   burning plastic or rubber smell after downpipe install (was: Help!!!) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej25t-sti-2006-wrx-90/burning-plastic-rubber-smell-after-downpipe-install-help-177650/)

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 03:49 PM

burning plastic or rubber smell after downpipe install (was: Help!!!)

ok freakin out again here is the situation

just put in my downpipe last night. i didnt put my stock heat shield on cuz i am goin to get the cobb one. flashed to stage two. then went t bed. got on here thismorning and people are saying that the stage 2 can take u to 2 weeks befor the timing advance really starts. so i decided to do some highway pulls to try to get that timing advance up. as i am doing the pulls i notice a weird smell kinda like plastic or rubber. then saw some with smoke coming out of the vent( defrost and left and right vents). i dont know what i did or if its normal and should go away what the F^%k is going on i NEED HELP!! beacuse im dumb

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 03:57 PM

when u installed ur DP did u route ur AC vent line away from the dp? the rubber is probably that hose burning!

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 04:04 PM

no i did not where is the hose at ? has this happend to u

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 04:07 PM

no.. i just know when installing a dp u have to move that out of the way!

open ur hood and look at the passenger side of ur dp! look where it gets real close to the firewall and it will be right there.. if ur hose is all melted then just cut it off.. that what i did.. only water comes out of it.. it is a way for the water to leave ur ac system.. it is just a drain!

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 04:15 PM

hey thanks alot man ill check it out!!

any other input while im checkin that out guys???

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 04:17 PM

the timing advance shouldnt take any time at all man.. its all computer controlled.. where did u hear about that? ask Paul.. he knows! but ive never heard of that!

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 04:19 PM

here.. do u see the pinched rubber hose next to the wastegate dump tube?
[img]http://picsorban.com/upload/problem.jpg[/img]

thats what i think is burning!

BLUEJ20 01-19-2008 04:23 PM

yup thats what happened to me when i first put on the dp

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 04:26 PM

ya.. i just cut mine completely it is just a stub now sticking out of my firewall.. water just falls to the ground!

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 04:41 PM

so was it that???

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 05:06 PM

your right it was right there infront of me just laying on the dp i cant belive i didnt see that. i didnt cut it yet becasue i want to see if ther is a way i can redirect it. but thanks alot for that pic it really helped

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 05:07 PM

but im gonna have to ask paul at DB TUNED about my stage 2 problem

thanks for the help tho

Wingless Wonder 01-19-2008 05:35 PM

That hose just allows condensation to drain out of the air-conditioning system, which removes humidity from the vehicle interior. You can re-route the hose or extend it, but don't position it in such a way to allow water to accumulate back into the a/c system - allow it to drain out.

07wrxguy, it always helps to give your message thread an appropriate title which sums up your problem or question in just a few words. This might catch the attention of more members who just quickly browser the forums but might not read every single thread if it doesn't pique their interest.

wrxisthebest 01-19-2008 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=Wingless Wonder;2082784]That hose just allows condensation to drain out of the air-conditioning system, which removes humidity from the vehicle interior. You can re-route the hose or extend it, but don't position it in such a way to allow water to accumulate back into the a/c system - allow it to drain out.

07wrxguy, it always helps to give your message thread an appropriate title which sums up your problem or question in just a few words. This might catch the attention of more members who just quickly browser the forums but might not read every single thread if it doesn't pique their interest.[/QUOTE]

true dat! ^^ the only reason i knew it was a problem is cause i was in his last thread!

u can re route it to the side of the firewall

so basically if u were looking at the pic i gave u u can push it "down"(in the pic, left in ur engine bay) and attach it somehow!

07wrxguy 01-19-2008 07:04 PM

thats guys and you are right about that thread title ill start trying to dicribe my problem in the title but thanks for everyone help with a nooobie