i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   won't fill up All the way?!?!?! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/wont-fill-up-all-way-1928/)

NeVzWRX 12-02-2002 02:29 PM

won't fill up All the way?!?!?!

Last two times I was at the gas station my car would not fill up all the way. It would only do like 3/4 tank and than stop. the first time i knew that i had a lot more room and I continues and got another 2.5 gallons in and than the second time I didnt think much of it but it didnt fill up all the way. What do you guys think. It was different gas stations

128d 12-02-2002 02:46 PM

Sorry but I can't explaine that. Thats really messed up, maybe your gauge is wrong.

GLwagon 12-02-2002 05:30 PM

That sounds messed up...

I'm thinking that it is a problem with their over fill / vapor collection system...

Try pumping at 1/2 or 1/4 speed...
at around a 1/4 tank it takes 10 or so gallons to fill...

NeVzWRX 12-03-2002 12:45 AM

it did it again today. It stopped at 9.6 or so and I know I could go more. So I got it to 11.something. and now it said it was full on the guage. Oh well, I guess I jsut have to see.

Kenn 12-03-2002 11:32 AM

Might be time for a warranty service.

capt'n'caveman 12-03-2002 12:49 PM

how many miles are you getting to your "filled" up tank? you can get a rough idea of how much you're short by doing some quick calculation.....btw, take it in, if it's under warranty

baggedfrontier 12-03-2002 03:24 PM

It sounds more to me like he is saying that the pump stops, as if by overflow, and then he has to start it again to fill it the rest of the way before it fills. The gas pumps have some sort of sensor in there to stop when it thinks the cause is full by gas splashing back up. It could just be how far into the tank the nozzle is allowed to go, i.e. the nozzle is dipping in to the tank at the 7/8 mark causing the cause to backsplash against the nozzle causing the pump to stop. Once he resumes pupming it is allowing him to fill the tank and the gauge shows full. I dont see a problem unless I am misunderstanding.

IgotWRXed 12-03-2002 10:33 PM

i dunno, while i cant give u help, i just advise to watch out.

that has happened to me before, where it stopped and i still had 1-2 gallons left to fill. but the pump was f*cking up and i did not want to risk overflow onto the car, so i just closed up and drove away 1-2 gallons shy of full.

take it in if it is still causing problemos.

Arcanum 12-03-2002 11:43 PM

NeVzWRX, I hear ya. Since you are in San Fran, I imagine all of Cali has the stupid latching, push down to connect weird gas pumps. When I lived in Colorado (No stupid latch system) I swear I could put an extra gallon of gas in my tank. I've adjusted by when the pump is going full blast, to kick it down to the slowest notch when it is near filling the tank. Seems to fill the tank better.

/\rcanum

Leonardo 12-04-2002 12:10 PM

Might have some gas!

Give it a couple of slaps on the back to see if it burps. Then try to fill up again!
:p

No, really, might have a bad sender!