i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   What kind of exhaust is everyone using on their WRX? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/what-kind-exhaust-everyone-using-their-wrx-13829/)

AllWheelDorifto 03-27-2003 02:31 PM

What kind of exhaust is everyone using on their WRX?

I have my mind set on either a BPM turbo back exhaust, or an HKS Carbon/Titanium Exhaust mated to Turbo X/S downpipes.

Is there anything I should know.
Are there better kits out there???

I wouldn't mind spending more for a titanium exhaust like the Kakimoto kit (nice), or would any of the stainless systems work just as good.
I'd appreciate everyone's feedback.
TIA

silver_rex_4eat 03-27-2003 02:37 PM

I just bought a turbo xs axle back off a guy on i club. I just received it in the mail today so this weekend i am planning on installing it. I will piece together a turbo back and up pipe eventually. I had it narrowed down to either turbo xs or scooby sport for the muffler. Maybe next year ill look into a good up pipe and down pipe. I think stainless will be fine. The titanium one you mentioned would be nice but most stainless systems will work great and provide nice gains.

yellowsnow 03-28-2003 07:20 AM

Stock power :D

wannaberacing 03-28-2003 12:42 PM

APS

These exhaust are sick.
[url]http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/exhaust.htm[/url]

BlueGargantua 03-28-2003 05:43 PM

I have a Stromung axle back and have the third cat elim as well

EtchyLives 03-28-2003 09:38 PM

Re: What kind of exhaust is everyone using on their WRX?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AllWheelDorifto [/i]
[B]I have my mind set on either a BPM turbo back exhaust, or an HKS Carbon/Titanium Exhaust mated to Turbo X/S downpipes.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have the BPM Mkiii Twister. Excellent. Get it. Pretty rare, looks good and gets the looks (funny shaped canister) and has the sweetest, richest boxer rumble of any exhaust out there. Smooth sound all the way through 7,000RPM. Not raspy at all.
-Etch

VF22WRX 03-29-2003 05:43 PM

Ive got the HKS Hi-Power catback and HKS downpipe. Good power gain and awesome sound. I would definately recommend going with HKS for an exhaust, but not with their downpipe, there are much better ones out there.

WuWrx 03-29-2003 06:22 PM

i have hks carbon-ti exhaust and i love it:)

PsiStar 03-29-2003 06:34 PM

TurboXS Stg4 but with Stromung dual tip muffler. Ran the with the stock muffler for a couple of months until I decided what to get. With the stock muffler the sound was only slightly louder than the stock exhaust system, but had a raspy sound & seemed to be the reason for exhaust leaks due to the extra back presure.

The Stromung has a good deep rumble at idle & moderatly loud .. have to admit that the sound level makes me a little nervous. Really lets you know its there at WOT. So I tend to drive a more conservatively with the Stromung .. and there is nothing wrong with that, I guess.:confused:

Guess I could add that it increased the amount of sound in the passenger cabin. But, just got a half roll of Dynomat from a friend & am entertaining adding that to the trunk & floor board ... might knock a .05 sec off my time though!:eek:

s0uperWRX 03-30-2003 01:46 PM

HKS Carbon-Ti

Love iT! Not loud, nice DEEP sound tho and IMHO it sounds stock cruising down the highway so you can actually talk to someone!

AllWheelDorifto 04-01-2003 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the info. guys.

Now, I have to see which ones I can listen to.

Anways, thanks again...and if anyone else has info.... keep posting please, as I am very curious.

redwrx 04-01-2003 07:23 PM

I am using an apexi megaphone exhaust.. it is a silent type exhaust.. I have been stop by polis a number of time due to the big exhaust but they also surprise that my exhaust is not that load when I press the gas and as always I was asked to leave fine free.... Hahahahaa.... BUt the exhaust still give me around 8 or 10 hps :D

a_train 04-01-2003 08:44 PM

I just put on a bosal catback. Really nice throaty sound. It's a 3in stainless system, and it's polished from the axle back. I picked it up off ebay for 400 new. I was looking into getting one of their downpipes as well. They use a divorced waste gate like the vishnu pipe. Also I just ordered a gt spec cat less uppipe but I haven't got it yet.

a_train 04-01-2003 08:44 PM

I just put on a bosal catback. Really nice throaty sound. It's a 3in stainless system, and it's polished from the axle back. I picked it up off ebay for 400 new. I was looking into getting one of their downpipes as well. They use a divorced waste gate like the vishnu pipe. Also I just ordered a gt spec cat less uppipe but I haven't got it yet.

tmpredator 04-02-2003 09:46 AM

I have a hks up-pipe and down pipe with a Apex N-1 exhaust...no cats whatesoever