i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   timing belt help - possible interference while hand-turning engine (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/timing-belt-help-possible-interference-while-hand-turning-engine-172218/)

Wagon Joe 10-09-2007 06:39 AM

timing belt help - possible interference while hand-turning engine

1 Attachment(s)
This is on a 2004 WRX.

I installed a new water pump, timing belt tensioner, all new idlers, and timing belt, ensuring the timing marks were correct. I did not release the tensioner pin yet. I put the shifter in neutral, and hand turned the assembly with a large ratchet. I was able to smoothly turn the assembly for 2 rotations of the entire timing belt. During the 3rd rotation, it felt like I hit a wall. When this happened, the assembly was exactly 6 1/2 teeth before the timing belt installation position (see sketch below), and everything was correctly in time. What could be happening?

NOTE: the spark plugs are removed, and this felt a lot different than the spring tension of the valves during the prior 2 rotations.

Any ideas, insight, or advice? Thanks so much!

- Joe

Position of potential interference:

[ATTACH]177065[/ATTACH]

sigma pi 10-09-2007 11:02 AM

this is a good one

you got the T belt to go around three times then bam it wont move?

Wagon Joe 10-09-2007 02:38 PM

yeah crazy, I know... the only possible explanation I can think of is that it jumped teeth during my manual rotations since I didn't have the tensioner unpinned. I need to double-check the timing marks and I guess remove the belt and try again.

sigma pi 10-09-2007 02:53 PM

hmm yeah thats actually a GREAT idea

the tension can be corraled back in if you have a vice

you can put the pin back in

so its not irreverseable like a grenade haha jk

FW Motorsports 10-09-2007 03:59 PM

That's a big misconception about hand grenades.
You can pull the pin out...and as long as you do not allow the handle to fly off, the pin can be re-inserted & the grenade saved for another day. :)

BTW...re align all the marks, pull the pin, and rotate the crank.

Wagon Joe 10-10-2007 05:59 AM

Good news! I was just being paranoid. When I got home from work the engine turned over just fine. At the "wall-like" point, it helped to back the engine up a bit and then turn it with a little momentum.

I backed up the engine to the installation point and all of the timing marks were lined up, so I think I'm good to pull the tensioner pin, turn it over a few more times, and put everything back together.

sigma pi 10-10-2007 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2000061]That's a big misconception about hand grenades.
You can pull the pin out...and as long as you do not allow the handle to fly off, the pin can be re-inserted & the grenade saved for another day. :)

BTW...re align all the marks, pull the pin, and rotate the crank.[/QUOTE]
close enough haha

close only counts............

FW Motorsports 10-10-2007 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Wagon Joe;2000590]Good news! I was just being paranoid. When I got home from work the engine turned over just fine. At the "wall-like" point, it helped to back the engine up a bit and then turn it with a little momentum.

I backed up the engine to the installation point and all of the timing marks were lined up, so I think I'm good to pull the tensioner pin, turn it over a few more times, and put everything back together.[/QUOTE]

So, have you started the motor yet?

Wagon Joe 10-10-2007 11:09 AM

nope, bad weather and no garage has kept me from putting it all back together. I'll post an update once I start her up.

sigma pi 10-10-2007 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2000735]So, have you started the motor yet?[/QUOTE]
make a grenade thread

motor/weapon

Wagon Joe 10-11-2007 08:35 AM

Finished the job last night, runs great!