i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Tial 38mm EWG install (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/tial-38mm-ewg-install-183015/)

mulcibre 04-14-2008 03:23 PM

Tial 38mm EWG install

OK, this is on a fairly stock WRX 2.0t motor.

Only mods so far:
Samco turbo inlet hose
No exhaust after downpipe (3" exhaust later on when I can afford it)

The setup is a 38mm Tial EWG with dumptube, from an Ultimate Racing catless uppipe.

The car is not running any kind of aftermarket engine management at the moment.

The Tial EWG has a air connector up top, and also on the side.

The EWG has a 1 lb spring.

So, what do I connect it to? Do I need boost control? The stock IWG only has one air jack, and I do not have any diagrams.

Thanks guys!

testes1010 04-14-2008 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=mulcibre;2174302]The Tial EWG has a air connector up top, and also on the side.

The EWG has a 1 lb spring.

So, what do I connect it to? Do I need boost control? The stock IWG only has one air jack, and I do not have any diagrams.

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

First things, first. I would not recommend a EWG on a car w/o EM.

You probably mean 1 bar(14.5psi) spring, not 1lb spring.....big difference.

You can use the stock solenoid for boost control BUT you'll need to remap all the wgd% tables as well as the turbo dynamic tables. Basically you need a custom tuned map. Otherwise you can run a MBC to control it but please AGAIN go back to my first sentence on this. Modding w/o proper EM you are playing with fire.

mulcibre 04-15-2008 11:00 AM

This is what I was concerned about. I was hoping to just replace the IWG with the EWG, as far as functioning is concerned.

So what is the significance of the spring stiffness? I had no idea what it was, I copied the stiffness from the FS thread I got it off of.

Lastly, what kind of EM is necessary to run this? I need some anyway, as I planned on doing other bolt-ons like STi intercooler, high-flow-catted downpipe, etc...

By now it is worth mentioning that the motor/ECU is a 2002.

testes1010 04-15-2008 11:31 AM

spring stiffness determine minimum boost pressure.

you can run an Enginuity/RomRaider/OpenECU custom tune, a protuned AP, or ECutek or UTEC. ALL will have to be custom tuned for the EWG though, specifically the tables that I mentioned in my first post.

mulcibre 04-15-2008 12:25 PM

gotcha, I appreciate the answers, I didn't know if this had been covered before, and searching turned up nothing.

Is it possible to install the EWG and have it be disabled? I have the engine out at the moment, so installing the EWG uppipe would be much easier right now. Then just patch in the EWG and disable the IWG when I can get (read:afford) tuning?

testes1010 04-18-2008 10:44 AM

you could put on a ewg uppipe on but I wouldn't recommend putting on the ewg yet. It will still tend to crack open even if the pressure lines aren't hooked up. You'd need to block off the EWG flange somehow.

mulcibre 04-18-2008 12:18 PM

can I hook it up to a vacuum line or something? fab'ing a block off plate is work I'd rather not do haha.

Just need to hold out for a couple paychecks, then get a hydra...

AngrySubyWagon 04-21-2008 03:34 PM

ok: 90% of the time people don't need an EWG and no you probably wont need a tune too terribly bad. The best way to seal on IWG is from GrimmSpeed-Spelling? They have a bracket that plugs it up. I believe the best way would be with a manual or electric boost controller. I wouldn't hook it up to the stock boost solenoid being that you're re-inventing the wheel. The purpose of an EWG mainly is to control boost creep and boost spike, and is only worth it's money on like an FP Green or Red. As far as creep and spike, that can usually be tuned out. Plus you wont gain more the 5 hp going through all this trouble of an EWG anyway. And that is only from removing the catted pipe and going catless. My tuner and I went through this whole long arguement of an EWG and the only thing it does is make it louder if you're not re-routing it back in. So i agree with Testes, just wait.

03_Impreza_Al 04-21-2008 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=AngrySubyWagon;2180840]ok: 90% of the time people don't need an EWG and no you probably wont need a tune too terribly bad. The best way to seal on IWG is from GrimmSpeed-Spelling? They have a bracket that plugs it up. I believe the best way would be with a manual or electric boost controller. I wouldn't hook it up to the stock boost solenoid being that you're re-inventing the wheel. The purpose of an EWG mainly is to control boost creep and boost spike, and is only worth it's money on like an FP Green or Red. As far as creep and spike, that can usually be tuned out. Plus you wont gain more the 5 hp going through all this trouble of an EWG anyway. And that is only from removing the catted pipe and going catless. My tuner and I went through this whole long arguement of an EWG and the only thing it does is make it louder if you're not re-routing it back in. So i agree with Testes, just wait.[/QUOTE]

:pointlaugh: :nono:

AngrySubyWagon 04-21-2008 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=03_Impreza_Al;2180858]:pointlaugh: :nono:[/QUOTE]

?????

mulcibre 04-21-2008 07:11 PM

I just want to get rid of the IWG, it just so happens I got a beast of a deal on an EWG setup.

I was planning to weld my own bracket to seal the IWG, that isn't a problem.

So, can I control the EWG with the stock boost control? that would be super-duper, until I can afford some real hardware.

AngrySubyWagon 04-22-2008 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=mulcibre;2181063]I just want to get rid of the IWG, it just so happens I got a beast of a deal on an EWG setup.

I was planning to weld my own bracket to seal the IWG, that isn't a problem.

So, can I control the EWG with the stock boost control? that would be super-duper, until I can afford some real hardware.[/QUOTE]

if you got a good deal, then i would of gone for it too. And you should be able to hood it to teh stock boost solenoid. If not a MBC is like 90 bucks or somethin. SO win win for you. The bracket from Grimmespeed is non weld, you should consider that route in case something goes wrong with the EWG set up.

mulcibre 04-22-2008 11:04 AM

oh, I was just going to weld my own bracket to hold it shut. $8 instead of $35 you know? And, I can support my local metal yard!

Yes, I think I'm going to use stock boost control. In a couple paychecks, I'll spring for a hydra and tune out any strangeness I may be getting from having such an unusual setup.

testes1010 04-24-2008 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=mulcibre;2181588]Yes, I think I'm going to use stock boost control. In a couple paychecks, I'll spring for a hydra and tune out any strangeness I may be getting from having such an unusual setup.[/QUOTE]

Again I would NOT use the stock solenoid for controlling a EWG, I know this from experience.

No need for a Hydra to do the job that the stock ecu can do easily with a proper 3 port solenoid. Why spend $2k on a Hydra when a $90 tactrix cable & a $40 GM BCS can take care of running the EWG.

mulcibre 04-24-2008 09:43 AM

I plan on monkeying with the car in other more unusual ways, I think it would be to by advantage to have a stand-alone EMS. I was planning to try to find a used hydra for ~$1000