i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Some help! cel flickering on and off while driving, engine cutting out! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/some-help-cel-flickering-off-while-driving-engine-cutting-out-49993/)

Wrxplaya11 02-26-2004 06:06 PM

Some help! cel flickering on and off while driving, engine cutting out!

Alright, I have an 02 wrx with turbo xs bov, turbo xs mbc set at 1 mpa(it reaches full at one and goes just slightly over it), aem SHORT Ram intake, catback exhaust. NOw, I also jsut installed a new sound system which is drawing near 2100 watts ( too much for alternator??)

Heres whats happening. All of the sudden the cel will come on while im driving, lets say in 4th gear around 40 miles an hour, it will come on very quickly and jerk the engine and its almost as if the car stalled, then, if i put some gas on the engine will come back again. It has done this now 15 tiems coming home from school, about 5 miles a way. I also stopped, let the engine run for about 5 minutes and slowly raised the rpm's, no problem, then I revved the engine and it cut out with the cel thing and a jerk at around 5k and wouldnt let engine rev any higher. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? Even when there is no boost it is happening, so its not like im boosting too much. I dont even have to be accelerating and it happened. It seems like it does it more when the stereo is one, and less when it is off but it still does it when teh stereo is off. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or what the hell is going on?NOTE: The cel is not staying on afterwards, it immediately goes back to "normal" afterwards

Wrxplaya11 02-26-2004 07:57 PM

anyone? Im scared to drive it and i have no other transportation.

Daredevil 02-26-2004 08:44 PM

i've no idea
my only slim chance of a real answer is you need bigger battery cause of the crazy sound system

i've no idea what so ever

duo 02-26-2004 10:18 PM

i heard that is bad when it blinks like that..take it to the dealership..quickly!!! or a repair shop

SwtAzn_WRX_gurl 02-27-2004 01:19 AM

That blinking light happened to me one time when my spark plug coil popped off after not being properly tightened after installing new plugs. But in your case, I think you need to invest in a good cap. Like the Bat Cap for your audio system. A 2 farad cap is still not enough for a 2100watt system. Also, invest in an Optima battery.

Speed Element 02-27-2004 08:39 AM

Try disconnecting the stereo system (should be simple enough) that will eliminate that.

Then if it still happens take it to somewhere with a code reader and read the codes or pending codes, that may give you a better insight to the issues.

Mike

(510) 487-4447
[url]www.mpjperformance.com[/url]
[url]www.gb-motorsports.com[/url]