i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Recommended First Mods to new WRX (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/recommended-first-mods-new-wrx-13955/)

BluWrX.03 03-28-2003 11:45 PM

Recommended First Mods to new WRX

I have an 03 WRX sedan and want it to be faster. What are the best mods for under $1000. I have been lurking around the forums for about 2 hours and i have taken away that exhaust mods are the way to go for initial stuff. Up pipe and down pipe is what i am thinking, or possibly exhaust system. What do YOU think. All opinions are greatly welcome. Plus, i was thinking of a blow off valve for the sick sound.

P.S. I sould probably note that my car has just over 10,000 miles on it and i drive on average 100 miles per day at 75-85 mph (3000-3500rpm). I dont want any mods that will shorten the life of my car considering that before the year is up i will put on another 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it.

berserk 03-29-2003 01:57 AM

i have the blitz fmic,,,,,its realllly cool but you have to cut alot of stuff like the fogg lights

Dick Fitzwell 03-29-2003 02:43 AM

everything you mentioned sounds good....uppipe, downpipe...good first mods imho. if you do go with a bov, i would suggest a 50/50 recirculating one.

silver_rex_4eat 03-29-2003 06:14 AM

this is what i have done so far to my MY02 silver rex. I have done a modified version of the silencer mod. Instead of removing the silencer i took a hack saw to it. I still retain the stock ram air piece under the hood and the large baffle on the silencer is removed so i take in air from grill and fender wall. I havent heard what it sounds like removed but i like the rush sound of the air now. I also added a drop in k&n air filter. Just bought a turbo xs axle back will be installing this weekend and painted my calipers blue with G2 brushable caliper paint. I plan on also doing up pipe and downpipe along with some other handling mods and brakes. I hope this helps a little

chris

K2Skier 03-29-2003 06:54 AM

depends what you're interested in most...power or handling.

i would suggest working on airflow first; uppipe!!! when you get rid of that preturbo cat, your turbo will wake right up, boost will come on earlier, and will have a better overall flow. a good mechanic or someone that's familiar with doing uppipes can have it done in < 3 hours.

Monkey Boy 03-29-2003 09:18 AM

So I have a silver 03 WRX with ~1800 miles am in the same boat... You say you want it to be faster... do you mean top speed, quickness, or more torque? Is your $$$ just for the engine? Do you see yourself bugeting any $$$ for handling?

You might want get a ECU reflash (i.e. Vishnu Stage Sub-Zero) it 3+ times the cost of an uppipe but you get 3+ more HP as well. Your chances of voiding any warramty are minimal and I hear it is way faster and alot smoother as well...

My $.02

BluWrX.03 03-29-2003 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I am really interested in second and third gear acceleration. More torque i guess.

if you read [URL=https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12944]this[/URL] section of the forum, I pretty much get the idea that cold air intakes are detrimental to the life of your engine without proper tuning. CIA's can lean out the mixture and f-up ur engine in the long run. Will an Uppipe do the same?

Got AWD? 03-29-2003 12:08 PM

Nope, an uppipe wont lean out your engine and mess it up. Its all good! :D

gjhsu WRX 03-29-2003 09:56 PM

How 'bout a good wheel/tire package? That's a pretty big upgrade right there.

00b5 03-30-2003 11:22 AM

all the exhaust mods are after your a/f mix, so you can't really lean it out, so they should all be relatively safe.

I only have about 450 miles so far on my car (in 3 days, and i already moved someone to a new place :-P) but my first mods will be along the lines of this:

uppipe and downpipe
rear sway bar (probably 20mm or 22mm)

then i'll probably start looking into ecu reflashes and a "quiet" aftermarket exhaust :) and suspension/wheels/tires.

HDDuece 04-02-2003 10:08 AM

I have about 700 miles on my 03 rex. so far i have installed a Greddy evo cat, invidia up and down pipe and a CAI, front strut bar and a wheel/tire package and I get my a drivers license in May.

00b5 04-02-2003 01:38 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HDDuece [/i]
[B]I have about 700 miles on my 03 rex. so far i have installed a Greddy evo cat, invidia up and down pipe and a CAI, front strut bar and a wheel/tire package. in the future i plan on getting a MBC, a ecu reflash and a drivers license in May. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL :)

BluWrX.03 04-02-2003 08:51 PM

well thats one way to jump ahead of the curve? have you even driven the car?

HDDuece 04-03-2003 04:35 AM

I have my permit so I can drive with my Dad. He has a G35 Coupe but I like the WRX better. I think he does too. He is talking about trading the G35 for a STI.

WRXshagnWGN 04-03-2003 05:14 PM

sounds like your family doesn't mess around when it comes to cars. That's pretty cool good luck with your car.

Ken