i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   New Owner needs advice(former S4 owner) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/new-owner-needs-advice-former-s4-owner-5366/)

cmos9 01-08-2003 08:13 AM

New Owner needs advice(former S4 owner)

Hello all,
I recently sold my S4 avant and bought an 03 WRX wagon (blue) This all happened about 2.5 weeks ago. Since then I have put on 1800 miles and am ready to upgrade the car. To this end I have ordered a Vishnu stage 1 setup with the intercooler hoses.

Here is my debate. Gruppe-s is selling the VF-30+sti injectors+walbro pump for 1275 shipped. Since the stage 1 has not shipped yet, should I jump all over this and go stage 2 all at once? (Vishnu is happy to provide me with the stage 2 programing for no aditional cost above the stage 1 cost)

So how big a difference will the vf-30 make? Form the dyno plots on vishnu's site it looks to add about 20-30 HP but more importantly the torque is held almost to redline. I am not planing on upgrading the intercooler at this time and do not know if it is needed.

If I don't upgrade the turbo now, then i will probably get f/r sway bars, anti lift,short shifter (sti type), and mourette lights
Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long post.
-Peter

palaban 01-08-2003 10:04 AM

Welcome!

I suggest doing some suspension/tire upgrades first. Stage 2 would be too much too handle for the stock tires and suspension IMHO.

cmos9 01-08-2003 10:09 AM

That was kind of my thinking as well. The only real reason to do the stage 2 now is that the car will already be apart so installing the turbo would be pretty painless (as I would be doing the uppipe and downpipe at the same time)
Though front/rear bars with anti-lift would be nice as well.
-peter

DeliciouSpeed 01-08-2003 11:36 AM

Yeah do the sus first. Stage1 will keep you happy for a while. Do get the signature exhaust though.

cmos9 01-08-2003 11:57 AM

as for the signiture exhaust,
Vishnu has apparently redesigned their standard exhaust downpipe such that it now has a seperate pipe for the waste gate similar to the signiture exhuast. I should recieve it next week or so.
-peter

Yungimoto 01-08-2003 12:20 PM

I'd do it all at the same time.

Maybe invest in some new tires as well?

cmos9 01-08-2003 12:22 PM

For now it is snow tires on all four corners. This spring I will buy new wheels and tires for sure
-peter

Nolimit 01-08-2003 06:15 PM

you will not be disappointed with getting the vf30 setup.
And since you have time before the spring to get other parts(TIRES, etc) ... and you're on snow tires now, ... and you could have the chance to drive a more powerful car in the snow, ...... I think I know what I'd be getting. ;)

just be sure not to forget about getting rid of those re92's come spring :eek: ;)

btw, what made you get rid of the S4??

Sonic1 01-08-2003 07:59 PM

Not a bad choice when from the 2001 A4 Avant 1.8 to the 2003 WRX Wagon. Did mods to the A4, now the WRX's turn.....

Nolimit 01-08-2003 11:49 PM

but S4's are sweeet!! :D

cmos9 01-09-2003 08:02 AM

I talked with Shiv at vishnu some more and decided to get the vf30/sti injectors/walbro pump. Easier to install it all at once and the vf30 will not be working as hard (or heating the air as much at the same psi) as the stock turbo. Plus when spring rolls around I can do the suspension(sway bars, stut bars, anti lift) when the snow tires come off. Will also pick up a set of light weight 17" wheels with a wider tire (225 or so)

As for why I sold my S4 avant, well it was too nice a car for what I do. I mountain bike all summer and ski all winter. The S4 is a great car, tons of torque etc... but it is also a nice expensive car and i hated to put moutain bikes on the roof and have dirty muddy friends ride in it etc.. The wrx fits my use better as I don't worry about it as much as the s4. Also the wrx is easier and cheaper to modify and easier to work on yourself and there is an abundance of parts for it. (you need to pull the motor on the s4 to change the turbo's for example) Anyhow both are great cars in their own ways.
-peter

SGOSWRX 01-09-2003 12:13 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cmos9 [/i]
[B]I talked with Shiv at vishnu some more and decided to get the vf30/sti injectors/walbro pump. Easier to install it all at once and the vf30 will not be working as hard (or heating the air as much at the same psi) as the stock turbo. Plus when spring rolls around I can do the suspension(sway bars, stut bars, anti lift) when the snow tires come off. Will also pick up a set of light weight 17" wheels with a wider tire (225 or so)

As for why I sold my S4 avant, well it was too nice a car for what I do. I mountain bike all summer and ski all winter. The S4 is a great car, tons of torque etc... but it is also a nice expensive car and i hated to put moutain bikes on the roof and have dirty muddy friends ride in it etc.. The wrx fits my use better as I don't worry about it as much as the s4. Also the wrx is easier and cheaper to modify and easier to work on yourself and there is an abundance of parts for it. (you need to pull the motor on the s4 to change the turbo's for example) Anyhow both are great cars in their own ways.
-peter [/B][/QUOTE]

Just wait until you get the VF30 setup and crank the boost up. You won't miss that S4 anymore. A 12 sec wagon what a sleeper.

SubaDave03 01-11-2003 06:56 PM

Vishnu Intercooler hoses...

Peter,
Let me know how those Vishnu IC hoses fit. I ordered some and they just didn't fit correctly. The pipes were all pinched because they were constructed at the wrong angles relative to the IC inlets and the turbo outlet. Anyway, let me know how they fit for you.
Thanks!
-Dave

p.s. I still can't get ahold of anyone at Vishnu about this problem. (tried email and phone messages) If they don't contact me soon, they will have no more business from me.

UPDATE 1-13-03
After speaking with Brett at Vishnu this morning, I need to clarify my post. I was emailed on the 8th that I would be contacted about this matter. Because three days had passed with no word is why I posted here. Anyhow, they are shipping me a new set of hoses and I am very much looking forward to installing them and doing more business with Vishnu. Thanks to Vishnu for resolving this problem!

dwk123 01-13-2003 02:50 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cmos9 [/i]
[B]

-peter [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow. I'll have to save this. I traded my TT in for a WRX for much the same reasons. For me it's more hiking/camping than biking, but the same basic trailhead type access concerns. Add in commuting over under-construction roads, and I spent most of the time in the TT worrying about 'hurting' it.
The WRX (wagon) just seems to be the perfect car for this sort of thing. The fact that it's much higher in performance as well is a bonus (I had the 180hp tt, so the WRX pretty much smokes it)

cmos9 01-13-2003 02:54 PM

The worry factor is much lower. I no longer worry when three friends and all their ski gear pile into the back seat covered in snow. Plus with vishnu stage 2 en route, it should be a real blast to drive.
-peter