i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Need a quick answer on exuasts (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/need-quick-answer-exuasts-23035/)

matt6669 06-21-2003 04:41 PM

Need a quick answer on exuasts

Ok, well i have finally come to a conclusion to get the hks exuast system. The only things are these.
1. wahts the difference between the carbon fiber one and the hi power exuast.
is it really worth it to get the carbon fiber system please list pro's and con's on this.
2. I am also going to do up pipe and down pipe at the same timeexcept i would like to leave atleast one cat in the system, so where should i leave the cat.
Im getting the cat back hks exuast and up and down pipe so that should in thus give me a turbo back exuast correct?
Please any advice is greatly appreciated. hopefully ordering before this coming week is over.
Thanks again
Matt

also if you have experienced anything bad with the hks please let me know. I did do some research and it does look like the hks does give the best power out of almost all the exuast it was a close call between hks and blitz.

WRX-pilot 06-21-2003 05:53 PM

I havent heard anything good about the HKS downpipe so I would do a search on it and see what you find... basically I heard its really close to stock. But dont take my word on it until you find out for yourself

DarriiffftaaHuy 06-22-2003 05:59 PM

the hks up & down pipes are very nce products with great fit & finish. performance gains are very noticable due to the elimination of all 3 cats.

If you want to retain one cat, you need to get either just a 3rd cat eliminator (stromung, xs-engineering, SPD Tuning, or scooby sport, etc.) OR just the 2nd cat eliminator. (same companies as before but minus SPD) OR you can get a downpipe with a cat in it, like the MRT one)

the hks carbon-ti is simply more expensive. its basically a normal hi-power exhaust with carbon fiber wrapped around the body and a titanium tip instead of stainless steel.

matt6669 06-22-2003 08:19 PM

Whelp my friend kev has convinced me not to get the up pipe as it goes right next to the third cylinder and would make it run more lean that it already has so i will wait till i do bigger injectors fuel pump etc untill i do uppipe so ill still have a cat so thats good.
ordering this friday!! whoo hooo will have install pics and finished pics for all
thanks for the help guys
Matt

twistedsymphony 06-22-2003 09:26 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by matt6669 [/i]
[B]Whelp my friend kev has convinced me not to get the up pipe as it goes right next to the third cylinder and would make it run more lean that it already has so i will wait till i do bigger injectors fuel pump etc untill i do uppipe so ill still have a cat so thats good.
ordering this friday!! whoo hooo will have install pics and finished pics for all
thanks for the help guys
Matt [/B][/QUOTE]

err I dont think your friend kev knows what he's talking about with that up pipe thing...

in answer to your previous questions:
-there is no difference performance wise between the hi-power, hyper, or carbon-ti exhausts... it's simply visual.
-the only good qualities of the HKS up or down pipes is that they're cheap (in relation to other after market parts.. they of course perform better than stock)
-if you want to keep a cat keep one in the down pipe either get a down pipe with a high flow cat or a partial "cat keeping" down pipe like the turbo XS one that keeps a stock cat (but for better performance you'll want one with a high flow cat.

explanation of the exhaust... once the exhaust leaves the engine it goes into the headers, then into an up-pipe (some times these are combine and usually described as such) the up-pipe goes UP into the turbo then after the turbo there is a down pipe that goes back DOWN to ground level then a mid pipe that connects the down pipe to about the rear axles then the muffler section...

if you hear the tearm axle back, cat back, or turbo back it meas ever thing from the "word" back. since the cats are usually in the down pipe a cat-back replaces everything after the down pipe (mid pipe and muffler) and a turbo back replaces everything from the tubo back (down pipe, mid pipe and muffler) and an axle back is usually just a muffler section

some advice... get a good up-pipe with a flex section, and get a good down pipe with a high flow cat and either a bell mouth or a devorced entrance (look around you'll figure out what that is)
the HKS is a good cat back,
dont worry about the fuel system until you start looking into upgrading the tubo itself.

also dont worry about the engine running lean or blowing up the 3rd cylinder with exhaust parts. if you're worried about it avoid ANY intakes or BOV (unless you have your ECU specifically programmed for it) also reset you ECU after installing the new exhaust stuff to speed up the performance gains (it has to learn)

I've already gone through all the research stuff on this just passing it along to you