Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

K&N WRX air filter...are you sure you have the right size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Unhappy K&N WRX air filter...are you sure you have the right size?

I have a 2002 WRX.

Help!

I ordered a K&N filter and put it in with no problems.

Later, took it out to check it, then could NOT get it back in! On the far/lower side of the cover of the airbox, there are two tabs that plug in. The filter gasket seemed to be too thick, and I absolutely could not shove the cover down hard enough to compress the filter gasket and get those tabs to plug in...yet I've done this before! Then I noticed if I don't push the filter in all the way, I can close and latch the cover...but that edge of the filter sags a bit and isn't really clamped snug between the cover and box. The filter does not fit perfectly in the box.

On my 2000 Legacy/Outback (2.5L I4), I found out (the hard way) that California versions use a (much) larger-sized filter (due to tough emission requirements?!).....SO
then I compared the K&N to a Subaru OEM filter that said "Legacy/Outback 2.5L" on the box but which does NOT fit my 2.5L California Legacy/Outback. The K&N is a bit shorter, and a tiny bit narrower. So I put the non-California "Legacy/Outback 2.5L" filter in and it fit perfectly and the cover shut just fine.

Can anybody confirm that the California WRX uses a *slightly* larger air filter, and any ideas on the definitively correct K&N part # to use?

And if you aren't sure, best check that that K&N filter you got actually fits, or if there is a poor seal on the lower/far side where dirty air can seep thru!!!

Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
while not using a k&n the green filter my buddy uses is also a major pain in the a$$ to get in. You just gotta fight it a lil and tilt the front up a lil and it should pop in with alot of effort. Still i wish they'd make an easier fit
Old 06-20-2004, 11:27 PM

RoadSpike, so you think the K&N maybe is just a bit sloppy dimensionally? Too thick and also smaller than the OEM filter?
Sheesh I have 1/8" more to compress it...don't see how I can do it.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx WRBlue ~v34 sold/ 05evo MR ^_^
it's thicker so it can seal tight.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
There are two K&N model numbers that "fit" the WRX as well. One takes immense force to get the bottom tabs to mesh, and the other drops right in like OEM.

I've read that if you have to force it in there, the tabs on the airbox can eventually break off.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:02 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I got the filter in by holding the filter on the lid while I slowly put it back on the tub part. I did a whole bunch of trial and error and that was the error proof way. If you just lay the filter on top of the tub, the clips will not be able to close properly or it will not seat properly.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
I have an 02 WRX...and a K&N dropin filter....my filter came with two pieces of foam with a sticker on one side, these are placed on the sides of the airbox to make the filter fit perfectly. I can take out and put in the filter very easily, no fitment problems. Check the part # in the big ol book of fram and K&N filters at your local auto parts store, there was only one listed when I checked it
Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
The correct part # for the K&N drop in filter is 33-2232. And yes, it is widely know that the K&N drop in is a PITA to put in.

Kurlee daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 06-21-2004, 11:31 AM

what i do is loosen the hoses, get the lid on then tighten everything else after.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll just keep trying some of those things...

I just talked to a K&N tech service rep...they said,
"yes, you have the right filter 33-2232"
"no, there is only one size for everyone"
"no, there is only one size for the Legacy/Outback, California is the same" (NOT! Been down this road with my Outback...)
"no, it shouldn't be smaller than the OEM WRX filter" (but it IS!)
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM

It worked!!! Thanks everyone. I put a little piece of foam on the box near the tabs to keep the filter from sliding off its detents. Disconnected all the hoses from the lid (easy!) and popped it right on.
I still say, it is disturbing that you can put the filter in wrong and still be able to snap it shut like I did originally...
Old 06-26-2004, 03:41 PM

Car Info: truck
I put one in yesterday and it was a pain in the ***. I cut a little rubber off the top and was able to slide the tabs in. It was the only way I could get it to fit correctly. So much for a "drop in filter."
Old 08-13-2005, 09:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by mudpie
I just talked to a K&N tech service rep...they said,
"yes, you have the right filter 33-2232"
"no, there is only one size for everyone"
"no, there is only one size for the Legacy/Outback, California is the same" (NOT! Been down this road with my Outback...)
"no, it shouldn't be smaller than the OEM WRX filter" (but it IS!)

Sorry to resurrect this post...but the K&N website lists: 33-2075 as the filter for the WRX.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=33-2075

I was planning on getting a drop-in filter soon and wanted to make sure I got the right one.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 08-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
i cracked my airbox shoving the little flanges down... the female part of the flanges cracked... anybody know how much the lower portion of the airbox costs??? :\

Quick Reply: K&N WRX air filter...are you sure you have the right size?