i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Help Identifying hose? 2003 WRX (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/help-identifying-hose-2003-wrx-267197/)

xthach_93 01-21-2016 01:17 AM

Help Identifying hose? 2003 WRX

1 Attachment(s)
[B]Can anyone identify what hose this is?[/B]
Picked up my WRX late last year, and started to do repairs as needed like timing service, tune up, etc, etc (Car was a mess). and then today as I was peaking around my turbo (replacing it soon too), I find a hose connected to the turbo inlet (Think that's what its called lol) that seems to be leaking.
While I'm a mechanic or sorts, I'm not actually an auto mechanic :doh:
I'm stuck when it comes to identifying parts/hoses in my engine compartment (Not really familiar with the boxer engine yet)
Can anyone tell me what hose this is? It's located right next to the IC and there's no hose clamps on it (do they come with clamps stock?)
Took this picture at night, so if needed I can take a clearer picture if it helps.
Thanks, any advice would be grateful.
[attach]209416[/attach]

i<3dirt 01-21-2016 08:05 AM

are you able to take a better pic from the front of the car?

xthach_93 01-21-2016 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's from an up top perspective

[attach]209414[/attach]
[attach]209415[/attach]

Evilo6rex 01-21-2016 08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that hose goes from your turbo inlet pipe to your valve cover for ventilation.

xthach_93 01-21-2016 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=Evilo6rex;3626009]I'm pretty sure that hose goes from your turbo inlet pipe to your valve cover for ventilation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, so it's a breather tube from inlet to crankcase.
Guessing my pcv valve is toasted (explains the oil seeping out?).
Gonna replace it tomorrow and clean up the area, possibly replacing it with some new hoses and clamps and see how it goes from there.

But it's been very much appreciated for the help. Didn't really know much about pcv system until a few google searches and youtube videos later :owws:

oaklandish_WRX 01-23-2016 12:05 AM

Correct, crank case breather. The hose from the PCV to the Tee on the top of the block might break/crack when you remove it to get the PCV out (19mm for that). A Dorman/HELP hose for a late model Ford is on the shelf at Autozone; PM for more info. I *may* have the other hose that connects the inlet to the Tee, if you need it. I found it tough to source 1/2" ID oil-rated vac hose. LMK

xthach_93 01-23-2016 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=oaklandish_WRX;3626105]Correct, crank case breather. The hose from the PCV to the Tee on the top of the block might break/crack when you remove it to get the PCV out (19mm for that). A Dorman/HELP hose for a late model Ford is on the shelf at Autozone; PM for more info. I *may* have the other hose that connects the inlet to the Tee, if you need it. I found it tough to source 1/2" ID oil-rated vac hose. LMK[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, but I actually manage to took it off with no problems today.
My pcv valve was indeed stuck, replaced and re-clean all the surrounding areas and no more oil seeping out after a day of driving around. Might actually plan to replace all the hoses later with silicone hoses since the oem ones are getting brittle.
Amazingly at the same time i discovered my heater hoses weren't bypassed after months of driving around thinking it was, unclogged it and now I have heat:brick:)
Thanks for all the input guys, it's highly appreciated for the help as was the experience fixing the problem. (First time pulling off the IC off the car today lol)