i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Guide me to 320 hp (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/guide-me-320-hp-1410/)

Hyper 11-26-2002 09:13 PM

Guide me to 320 hp

Here's another question from Europe....the car is GDA WRX,
my friend wants to kick around 300-320 ponys, the question is how?
I know that a bigger turbo helps, but that would be a huge turbo lag!
So may be different cams or something....of course he will need a bigger turbo, but not VH30 I quess :)

curently he has no engine mods I believe, and I am getting COBB CAI for him because from what I understood it's best for WRX

also he will probably keep TMIC

take part in creating a nice ride :D

Hyper 11-26-2002 10:06 PM

hey, Europe isn't only England, no matter how I liked it :)

he is in Moscow

mmurray75 11-27-2002 05:10 AM

Try TurboXS.com They say that there Stage2 a UTEC and an exhaust will give 300hp at the crank. I am running the stage 1 UTEC no other mods and it is a great improvement. The only thing is I don't know if the UTEC will work with the Euro version of the WRX.

Lobster Man 11-27-2002 06:53 AM

VF23.
Injecters.
Fuel Pump.
Turbo Back Exhaust.
Uppipe.
Front Mount IC.
UTECH
S-AFC.
Headers.

That should do it.

WRX-U 11-27-2002 07:28 AM

Best bet prob

My personal opinion would be to go with VF34, you'll most lickly get the least lag...If your friend is worried about lag that much you could also try getting things like lighter fly wheel, pullies and such to try and "even out the power".

Of course the following is a must too with turbo upgrade:
fuel pump
injectors
fuel rails is a +
some type of engine management
and anything to get the motor breathing right, ie full exhaust, possably headers back (but I am skepticle on the headers, but uppipe, downpipe is a must)
some sort of FMIC or TMIC besides stock
then there is the issue of being able to tune it right, which seems to be the biggest issue to me.

Okay that's my 2cents hope I didn't miss anything..

GRoceryTurbo 11-27-2002 11:21 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lobster Man [/i]
[B]VF23.
Injecters.
Fuel Pump.
Turbo Back Exhaust.
Uppipe.
Front Mount IC.
UTECH
S-AFC.
Headers.

That should do it. [/B][/QUOTE]

why would you want a S-AFC and a UTEC?

WRX-U 11-27-2002 03:13 PM

?

that's a good question...cause you can adjust your fuel map with the UTEC right?

Hyper 11-27-2002 09:44 PM

wow
thanks for the input guys,
another question - VF34 vs VF23
I thought that the bigger the nuber, the bigger the turbo and the lag....
how do they classify?

stealth-wrx 11-28-2002 12:55 PM

turbo xs stage 4 and tune the crap out of it.

WRX-U 11-28-2002 01:15 PM

Hyper..

....no I believe it's the opposite way around for VF series turbo's the bigger the number the smaller the turbo, I believe...

~B

stilesg57 11-29-2002 08:42 PM

Acually, the number on the IHI turbos has to due with the order in which they were designed, nothing more. Case in point: A VF22 puts out less than a VF24, which puts out the same as a VF29, both of which put out less than a VF30, which puts out the same as a VF34 although the 34 spools faster, both of which put out more top end than a VF35 which spools faster than either the 30 or 34.

IOW, the number only designates the order in which they came out, nothing else about the turbo or its power/spool abilities. Therefore the only thing that can be said about the IHI's judging from the number alone is that the VF22 is an older (though not neccessarily less powerful) turbo than say the VF30, which is older than the current newbie the VF35. Hope that helps a little.

stilesg57 11-29-2002 09:06 PM

Back to the topic, I think the best bets are the Cobb tuning RT Spec kit (a little pricey, but super reliable and engineered and you get a FMIC and the incredible SR30 turbo that can be tuned quite easily for A LOT more power with some fuel upgrades), the Turbo XS Stage 2 with a VF24,28,29, the Vishnu Stage 1 with a VF24,28,29, or build it yourself:

You won't need the Turbo XS or Vishnu kits with the VF30 and fuel upgrades in them - that would get you more power than you are asking for but also add dreaded lag. Basically to get 300-320 hp you need:

catless uppipe
turboback exhaust with a bellmouth or twin dump style downpipe
some kind of boost control (preferably electronic)
some form of engine management (Unichip, UTEC, S-AFC, or reflashed stock ECU)
Some type of upgraded turbo (again: SR30 (nice but EXPENSIVE), VF24,28,29, Forced Performance OEM upgrade, or Ion OEM upgrade will all push 320hp on the stock fuel system and even a little more with upgraded fuel goodies)

Those are the bare minimum mods to get to 320hp. BTW, the lag with any of the turbos I mentioned will actually feel like a lot less than stock just because of the exhaust and management mods.

Cheapest and most direct way to do 320 hp: (IMO...)
Turbo XS uppipe $200
Turbo XS stealthback $725
Dawes Devices MBC $35
FP OEM turbo upgrade $600
All dyno tuned on a Unichip $640

Total= at least 320hp for $2200 (if your friend does the install labor himself)

You'll have to check on which turbo he has from the factory over there, he may have a stock turbo already big enough for 320hp. Also, his uppipe may be catless from the factory - if so, that's $200 more he can save. Also, I know they make it, but you have to get a specific Euro Unichip, as the American version and the UTEC don't work for Euro cars. Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out!

syntrix 11-29-2002 09:47 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stilesg57 [/i]
[B]Acually, the number on the IHI turbos has to due with the order in which they were designed, nothing more. Case in point: A VF22 puts out less than a VF24, which puts out the same as a VF29, both of which put out less than a VF30, which puts out the same as a VF34 although the 34 spools faster, both of which put out more top end than a VF35 which spools faster than either the 30 or 34.

IOW, the number only designates the order in which they came out, nothing else about the turbo or its power/spool abilities. Therefore the only thing that can be said about the IHI's judging from the number alone is that the VF22 is an older (though not neccessarily less powerful) turbo than say the VF30, which is older than the current newbie the VF35. Hope that helps a little. [/B][/QUOTE]

No that doesn't help, and compressor maps and a good tuner will help a LOT!

Stock intake, upipe, sti injectors and vf23 on stock boost levels....

ran a 13.6 @98 in 101 degree weather on stock tires... vegas heat baby ;) You do the math.

Hyper 11-30-2002 05:35 PM

woa
that's al lot of info for my N/A head :D
now I will try to translate it all :lol:

he is a lazy guy and doesn't do mods himself...I wish I were in Moscow more, that way I would do all modding :D

davenow 11-30-2002 06:18 PM

Like the other guys said

WHY IN GODS NAME would you spend all that money on the fuel system, and a bigger turbo for no reason whatsoever?
TurboXS stage 2 with a unichip is good for 303HP WITH NO OTHER MODS OR DYNO TUNING!
Add in an up pipe and you are in the 310-315 range.

I think these guys are just saying a bigger turbo because they dont really know what else to say.(no offense guys, but you DO NOT need a bigger turbo/fuel mods for 320HP. Bigger turbo and fuel mods will put a well tuned car to over 370HP MINIMUM. At which time he will need to look at a clutch and most likely a new trans/gears)