i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   GT30R or VF34 (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/gt30r-vf34-125142/)

HartgeM3Power 02-02-2006 07:54 PM

GT30R or VF34

Just like the title says...Which would the majority of you guys prefer the GT30R or VF34, both with the needed supporting mods. Im kinda new to all of this and would just like to get some feedback/opinions as to what some of you think. Major differences?? The car will be daily driven. Pros and cons??...Im considering upgrading the turbo within the next month, but not sure what to get and where to get it. Im in the Bay Area btw. Thanks

-Adam

Egan 02-03-2006 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=HartgeM3Power]Just like the title says...Which would the majority of you guys prefer the GT30R or VF34, both with the needed supporting mods. Im kinda new to all of this and would just like to get some feedback/opinions as to what some of you think. Major differences?? The car will be daily driven. Pros and cons??...Im considering upgrading the turbo within the next month, but not sure what to get and where to get it. Im in the Bay Area btw. Thanks

-Adam[/QUOTE]

What are your goals for the car? Are you going to track it or autox?

HartgeM3Power 02-03-2006 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Egan]What are your goals for the car? Are you going to track it or autox?[/QUOTE]
i may track or autox the car a few times, i dont really plan on making this a full blown track or autox car tho cuz it is my daily driver..

mbquarts 02-03-2006 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=HartgeM3Power]i may track or autox the car a few times, i dont really plan on making this a full blown track or autox car tho cuz it is my daily driver..[/QUOTE]

The gt30 is good for the track, and the 34 would be better for auto-x. The gt30 is a much bigger and more expensive turbo than any of the vf turbos. The supporting mods are also more expensive, and it will be extremely laggy on the street. Unless you plan on tracking your car extensively I would go for the 34.

gruppe-s 02-10-2006 03:08 PM

These turbos are really really different. One is a complete bolt-on solution and the other is a rotated mount kit solution. About the only similarity between the two turbos is that they're both ball bearing CHRAs. If this is a daily driven car with a 2.0L block then I'd stay away from the GT30R unless you're running race gas all the time. Even if you are, then it's still going to be pretty laggy. If you have a 2.5L SB, then you can start looking at the GT30R.

A VF34 is a very standard and established upgrade for the 2.0L WRX and you will be making about close to 350 CHP on 91 with proper supporting mods. You'll only need a fuel pump and injectors to run a 34. Cost of tuning and installation for this setup will run you well over just over $2200.

On the other hand, a GT30R will require it's own custom downpipe and upipe, an external wastegate, ideally, and electronic boost controller, as well as a fuel pump and injectors. You'll be making around 400 CHP with proper supporting mods. Cost of tuning and installation for all of that stuff will run you well over $4000.

In short, I'd definitely go VF34 here. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Geoff

HartgeM3Power 02-10-2006 06:15 PM

Thnx Geoff..I spoke with i believe it was Preston early last week and he also clarified all of this up for me over the phone. Hopefully I will be visiting you guys shortly to do the swap as well as the tuning.. Ive just been so busy with work and school. Id like to do this within the next few weeks if possible, depending on my schedule as well as yours. Thanks again.

-Adam

gruppe-s 02-13-2006 01:24 PM

No problem Adam. Looking foward to working with you.

Thanks,

Geoff

TurnWRX 02-17-2006 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=HartgeM3Power]The car will be daily driven. [/QUOTE]

it's a no brainer to go with the vf34 if it's going to be your daily driver. You will run into reliability problems with the gt30r.