i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   Car Dies (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/car-dies-44826/)

BulletProof 01-14-2004 12:54 AM

Car Dies

Hello all, I have 03 WRX (standard) when my car intially starts up when its cold and hovers around 1000+ and eventually warms up to 500rpm the car runs properly. But when I restart the car when it has "already been warmed up" the car dies right away meaning when the car starts up and the tach goes to 0 and the cars dies. Then only whay I have found to combat this problem is to rev the engine for 1-2secs before the tach hits 500rpm and then it is okay, if I don't it dies without fail. My mod list consits of the following

MRT Xtra-lg Intercooler with co2 sprayer
APS Cold air intake
TurboXS BOV
Vf30 Turbo
STI Injectors
255 Fuel pump
Iridium Cold spark plugs
Perrin uppipe
full BMP 3" exhaust
ECUTek upgraded ECU (Neetronics)
Exedy Hyper Clutch with flywheel

P.S. I wonder if this is an idle problem because of the mods.

Also my car idle would fluctuate when while in neutral, adjusting my
TurboXS BOV to a softer setting has stabilized my idle.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ScoobyStas 01-14-2004 06:10 AM

My car has cobb stg2 with uppipe and ic hoses and this happens to me also. My car doesn't die but, lets say i turn it on after filling up some gas, it goes to say 1500 and dips to around 0 but doesn't die and settles at 500. One time, after leaving autozone, it almost died but i gased and saved it. This seems to be a common situation with the wrx no matter what mods you have.

WindingRoad 01-14-2004 09:14 AM

i think your idle is off a bit. my car idles at about 700. my car never idled at 500 before

or is my car idling to high?

iLoqin 01-14-2004 02:23 PM

On warm start up my car always idles around 500. Never has dropped any lower. Cold starts it runs like at 1.5k. I'm guessin' it has to do with the mods, because I don't think anyone else with a stock car is having that problem. I don't have an idea of what to do except take off pieces and replace with stock until you find which one is the culprit. Only option I can think of right now.

Egan 01-14-2004 02:34 PM

Most of your mods should not affect idle. I would suspect it has something to do with the injectors and your engine management. I have a similar level of modification and on warm start or after the car has warmed up on cold start, my idle wobbles around from 680rpm to 725rpm (as indicated by my SECS PSI3 data display unit).

Another suspect would be the flywheel, although I have not heard of that particular model causing stalling problems.

Have you gotten any CELs recently? It is possible one of the throttle body controllers has gone bad (IAT, IIRC).

spyder36 01-14-2004 05:37 PM

my car used to do the same thing. Try putting your stock BOV back on.

TurnWRX 01-14-2004 06:06 PM

my car idles at 600

Kevin M 01-14-2004 07:38 PM

Put your stock BOV and intake back on, then ask whoever tuned your car to fix your idle. Either they didn't tune your idle properly to begin with on the STi injectors, or they didn't change it at all.

Egan 01-15-2004 06:39 AM

I should clarify my above post:

My SECS reports 680-750 rpm at warm idle. It is getting it's data directly from the OBDII port and the ECU.

However, my tach looks more like 500 rpm.

BulletProof 01-16-2004 01:56 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll try that.

gilmore25 01-16-2004 09:05 AM

I would think it's the BOV I've heard that some of them make the WRX not idle right Try that first.

DougZ 01-04-2005 07:46 AM

I have a bone stock 02 WRX with 70K miles, and have the same idel problem. Car is fine when warming up from being cold. Then, once it is warmed up, if I stop somewhere and shut it off, when I come back out to start it up, it starts and then dies right away. This will happen two or three times, and then it is fine.

It seems like what ever controls the idle RPM is letting it drop below where is should be when idling fine, looks like about 500 RPM.

Has any one figured out what is causing these problems????

awns729 01-04-2005 11:55 AM

I agree with ban suvs, take the bov and/or intake off. see what happens. let us know.

tekfoc 01-04-2005 12:34 PM

the problem is the idle air control motor on your throttle body. remove clean with intake cleaner, common problem after the miles rack up. if the cleaning does not solve the problem then you need to replace with a new idle air control motor. good luck to everyone.

DougZ 01-04-2005 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=tekfoc]the problem is the idle air control motor on your throttle body. remove clean with intake cleaner, common problem after the miles rack up. if the cleaning does not solve the problem then you need to replace with a new idle air control motor. good luck to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I will try that.