i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   bigger turbo? good idea? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/bigger-turbo-good-idea-30339/)

downshift 09-02-2003 09:46 PM

bigger turbo? good idea?

guys.. i was really pondering.. i bought my wrx because i knew it had a lot of potential, but then i thought. if i bought a bigger turbo kit such as the vf30 or the vf34, what will the life of my ej20 motor be? will it survive 100,000 miles? or will it die?

how do i upgrade the turbo and keep the lifespan of my engine unjeapardized(if that word exists).

i know that getting new fuel rails and fuel injectors, bigger intercooler and all will make the car run correctly, BUT the question is... will my car live as long as it would if i kept it bone stock??

please i really need expert advise, any WRX mechanics or mechanics or people with experience in WRX turbos. please give me some feedback, thanks.

joltdudeuc 09-02-2003 11:22 PM

Honestly, slow down with the mods... wait a month, drive your car how it is... Mod slowly, and get used to a new mod.

I suggest you start reading and posting in technical threads. Thats why they are there. Learn about detonation, air/fuel, engine management, bolt ons, turbos, etc...

read, read, read, read, read!!

AND THEN ask questions... :p

cool?

-Gagan

teiva-boy 09-03-2003 07:54 AM

If a JDM version WRX can get a VF30/34 stock, why can't you? The car will handle it just fine. It's all in the tuning.

awns729 09-03-2003 12:17 PM

[url]www.howstuffworks.com[/url]
...do you have bolt ons yet? on stock internals you can raise boost too much...so with any turbo using stock internals you can get upto 280-300 hp safely with proper tuning

downshift 09-04-2003 01:55 AM

joltdudeuc, "please i really need expert advise, any WRX mechanics or mechanics or people with experience in WRX turbos. please give me some feedback, thanks."

ur feedback wasnt very productive for me, thanks but try again

teiva boy... thats a great way to c it, i like that tthought ;)

awns729... good shiet, thats wat i needed. some good feedback, thanks

ill be greatful to have more helpful advice, ive done enough reading, enough talk the talk, its time to walk the walk, i need to get down to business, straight up, i want to know what i am going to do with my upgrading.

fourstardrift 09-04-2003 05:44 AM

First thing's first....make a plan for your shelf and stick to it....what kind of car do you want to have? Daily driver with a little bump in power, or Track terror that will be used on the weekend? This will help you with your roadmap to moding your car. Reason is that your engine will last if you plan and upgrade parts accordingly.

Stock parts are make to have a certain lifespan under certain operating conditions. The life of your engine will greatly depend on how well you take care of it; regularly change your oil.

And the most important thing is the driver. He/she will play a large part on how long your engine will last. If you drive your engine hard all the time; redline most of the time, then your engine will not last as long as if you would drive it normally. Remember, the owner's manual have two different service recommendation; normal and severe driving condition.

downshift 09-04-2003 08:35 PM

thanks fourstardrift, good advice.

i want my car to be fast all the time for daily, but is it possible to have a daily 12 or 13 second WRX?

fourstardrift 09-05-2003 06:59 AM

You can get a daily driven 13 - 12 second WRX. The EJ20 is a great platform to mod, and it takes little for it to get there. Some of the main things that will get your there:
- larger turbo; VF30, VF22, 18G or 20G
- UTEC piggyback computer
- larger fuel pump
- larger fuel rails
- larger fuel injectors
- FMIC or larger TMIC
- larger radiator (aluminum)
- stronger clutch
- stiffer suspensions
- bigger brakes

When adding power to your car, don't forget about the suspensions and brakes. Without those, it's pointless to go fast...your car's handling and safety will suck as. The stiffer suspensions will help you get off the line faster, and the brakes will help you to stop better.

derck_mullin 09-05-2003 07:19 AM

Downshift,

I have the Cobb ECU (stage 2), IC hoses (samco), Helix up/down pipe and HKS hyper exhaust. Car is totally different...easily as fast as an EVO and makes really cool noises....

I know you are asking about a turbo and I am now thinking of going the same route, but I'd suggest doing the above mods first. Everything listed here will only help if you do go with a bigger blower and you just might get what you want before hand...

Remember everything is connected and the best thing to do with a turbo car is to start with the exhast, everything else hinges on how well the turbo is fed...

Derck

downshift 09-05-2003 06:21 PM

thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, did u guys install all those upgrades on urself? or who would u trust to upgrade ur WRx? because i kno im not gona trust anyone unless i know they are pro and for sure they kno wat they are doing.

i kno i can install intake and exhaust but the turbo is a different thing, so i should probably take it to a vishnu official installation center.

derck_mullin 09-05-2003 09:06 PM

I did all the work myself, a weekend job at worst. The uppipe isn't much fun, but it's not really that bad. Just get the instructions from the Vishnu website and follow them. The downpipe and catback are no brainers. The computer is the same, just a plug and play operation. The IC hoses were easy except for the one...took a while, but just more frustrating than anything.

Take it easy...

Derck

Kevin M 09-06-2003 02:32 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by downshift [/i]
[B]thanks fourstardrift, good advice.

i want my car to be fast all the time for daily, but is it possible to have a daily 12 or 13 second WRX? [/B][/QUOTE]

Another person hit it on the head- do chassis and brake mods FIRST, so the car is ready for that much power. It's not right now. Then take a look at Vishnu stage II- it consistently makes 250 hp at the wheels (on the most conservative dyno ever) and nobody has had reliability issues on it yet. This will give you a consistent 12 second car that is actually better running than stock.

Notice the uber-flat torque curve:
[IMG]http://members.roadfly.com/bansuvs/Vishnu stage II dyno.jpg[/IMG]

awns729 09-06-2003 03:14 PM

ive asked this many times but never gotten an answer back...hows the gas milage with the stage 2?

Kevin M 09-06-2003 04:00 PM

I'm sure it's much worse. Probably mid to high teens. Price you pay for power. You can't make more power without burning more fuel.